• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ok I am having sort of a issue any suggestions?

What's your thought on my issue?

• Be worried

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • It's trivial

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Use them since it's open source material.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok I am currently working on writing the second book in a possible trilogy. It's actually based on one of my most memorable D&D player character's I ever created.

I have attempted every single conceivable thing I could think of when I started, from crafting the entire plane of existence and giving it a history.

This is where I keep running into the sort of issue I'm referring to, I can't seem to be able to stop myself from when ever I have any character mention anything about the possible pantheon. I instantly use the names of the already printed names of the deities and demigods from D&D, I even tried to create my vary own pantheon but seriously can't seem to be able to break away from the whole alignment scale and structure set in place in the printed materials.

Is this something that I actually should be worried about? I mean with the already printed material giving complete backgrounds and information should I not even attempt to create my own Pantheon which I will have to explain in deep detail taking away from the overall story?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...first of all. Deities and Demigods uses the names of many real world pantheons, which are in the public domain...so....its not like people dont heavily do this.

If you invented a new Pantheon, search and replace should fix this problem.

The level of detail you wish to provide is up to you. There is no compelling reason to explain the backstory of every deity if there is no reason it would come up in the story.

Ohh theirs a very very important reason for one to keep reoccurring and eventually has influenced events that unfolded

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
First, with a few exceptions, the entities in the old 'Deities and Demigods' are drawn from actual mythologies and religions, and hence are in the public domain. However, the authors of that boo and its successors fessed up to taking more than a few liberties with their descriptions of those Gods. I'd suggest doing google searches on the ones that interest you.

One thing you need to take into account is this - the pantheons listed are basically 'divine families' under autocratic control - and often, that control is brutally expressed. There are also family dynamics to consider. Yes, your mortal players might have to contend with an evil God - but that god has to contend with his far more pleasant sister and do his darndest to avoid ticking the patriarch. Likewise, just because your character's view said deity as 'evil' does not automatically mean that others do so as well - quite likely he is counted quite the decent fellow or simply a bit 'grumpy' by more benign members of the pantheon.

Second, your reference 'to alignment scale and structure set in the printed works,' along with your D&D character, tells me you are most likely writing what is known as 'litrpg' - 'literary role-playing game. Likely, your magic system, weapons, and character abilities bear a strong resemblance to D&D magic and abilities. This works - but be warned - there are severe difficulties in transforming a gaming system and characters into a credible novel. (I spent a long time wrestling with these issues.)

That said, many of the old AD&D books are useful - to a point. I make frequent use of details, especially names, imbedded in the old AD&D 'Historical Earth' supplements and occasionally other handbooks and manuals as well. Thing is, these are supplemental - one of several sources.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I wonder if the question here is not really how do I avoid treading on Deities and Demigods space, but more how do I know when I have created and explained enough about my world and what makes it up.

For me, this is the Art part of the equation. I make up lots of things that never come out in the story. There characters, for instance, dont know that their world is clouded and cant see the stars. Since they have never seen them, it never comes up, It might be neat to tell the reader, but I limit stuff to what the characters would know, converse or think about. So....its never explained that the stars are missing.

With God's, I would limit things to what the character would not, or seek out on their own (or any character). If Thor cursed me, I might go finding out all I can on Thor, and he would play prominently in my story and life, and consequently, your story. But if Thor is just some nebulous creature looking down from the heavens, who cares if I don't know that he got tricked into thinking the ocean or whatever. Just have the character say 'Crom' a lot without really explaining Crom, as Conan seemed to get away with.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I find the old D&D books are good for questions, like...how fast can a horse travel, and how much weight can I carry and still climb a rope. But I would avoid anything that was clearly their creation. Such as Drow, or Gods they actually invented for themselves.

It very much depends on what you want to do with it. Though, do note that asking legal advice on an internet forum wont give you a definitive answer. If you want to know for sure, consult a legal professional in your jurisdiction.

If it's fan-fiction, then you're probably fine whatever you write.

If you want to traditionally publish the book, then it is a serious problem (unless you want to publish with Wizards of the Coast). It doesn't matter if some of it is public domain or anything. A traditional publisher has too many manuscripts to chose from to walk into a potential legal minefield. They wouldn't want anything to do with anything that might look like using someone else's IP. It's just not worth it for them.

If you want to self-publish, then it could be a problem. I probably don't know enough about D&D pantheons. If you're running into Thor or Zeus or whatever, then you can use them. If they are D&D specific names then you probably want to stay away. Generic ideas are fine, you can't copyright or patent an idea. But names and specific events / tales etc are probably a no-go area. Generic history of your panteon is fine, as long as you don't copy stuff verbatim.

One thing to remember is that there even can be a difference between being in the right and actually getting that. Ask youself what you would do if you publish your book and you get a legal letter from Wizards of the Coast stating that you're breaching their IP and they demand all profits from your books and a bunch of fines if you don't stop publishing. Are you willing to take a a $12 billion company to court over it? If you are, then feel free to do whatever you want. If you don't then change the names.