1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

On characters who are Amazingly Super Special

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Feo Takahari, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Auror

It's three years old, but it made me laugh.

Source: http://fanficrants.livejournal.com/10978907.html

BronzeOracle, Panda and Tom like this.
  2. Tom

Tom Istar

Limyaael wrote a rant about super-special characters. They were kind of a pet peeve for her. Unfortunately I can't find the link right now, but I know it's out there.

3. Panda

Panda Troubadour

And don't tell me your A.S.S. is so beautiful it's a curse. I don't want to kiss your A.S.S.

4. BronzeOracle

BronzeOracle Sage

I remember seeing an article by Raymond E Feist of Riftwar fame talking about his ASS character Macros the Black and what a rod for his story's back this character was. After creating an ASS character the author must then create non-lame ways (oh the challenge) to remove the said character's powers otherwise the story goes in the bin.

He compared the problem he had to the writers of superman comics, who every episode must come up with some reason for superman not being able to use his powers and so defeat the villain/solve any challenge in 1 second flat. And it gets tiring saving superman's ASS again and again.

So avoiding the ASS temptation in the first place is a good idea! :)

Feo Takahari likes this.
  5. wordwalker

wordwalker Auror

6. Tom

Tom Istar

It's all...sprinkled through her rants. I combed the titles to see if she had a specific one about raging Mary Sues, but she tends to intersperse topics throughout rants that share a loose theme.

7. wordwalker

wordwalker Auror

Seriously, though, any character is just a matter of scaling up. The problem isn't creating a powerful character, it's in not being able to follow it up with challenges and the strained world-view that really go with that much power.

Openly declaring "he's the best in a thousand years" is just spelling out what kind of conflict you'll have to write-- although too many writers seem to think a boast like that satisfies reader expectations in itself, instead of making it more obvious if they fail to fulfill them.