• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

PAPERS DUE

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Accountability Thread

Do you struggle with discipline? Does a lack of accountability hinder you in your writing? Are you in school and feeling masochistic? Have you left school and feel nostalgic? Do you like pictures of puppies?

If the answer to any of this is yes, the Papers Due thread is the place for you. Each Saturday, mythic scribes are encouraged to share their weekly goal on this thread. This can be anything from “Write 5000 words” to “Finish a poem”.

By the first Friday after you’ve announced your goal, you must notify the thread of your successful accomplishment of it. If you did not accomplish it, you don’t need to post, though you may if you wish.

On late Friday or early Saturday (I'm in GMT+1), I will post a puppy picture for everyone who submitted their papers in time, and a picture of a bundle of sticks for those who missed the deadline (it makes sense to a Dutchman and that’s enough reason for me to include the sticks :p ).

Good Luck, I hope to see people check in. Because this is the first time, I give you from today (Wednesday 16th) to next week Friday (25th). In advance I will state that I might miss a deadline myself at some point in the future, but don't worry, I will notify the thread in advance.​

Last edited:

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Week 1: My goal of the week will be to study my ass of for my master's entrance exam and resist the temptation to delve into writing for too much escapism. Bit of a strange writing goal, but I'd say intentionally not writing too much is a goal in itself.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Heh, this didn't go anywhere huh? Didn't get into that Master's I spoke of, but I completed another some years later. Slow and steady wins perhaps not THE race, but at least A race. Now let's see...

Week 265: I will draw a map for a story and write something for it. No idea what yet, but something will be drawn and written.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I did find I got more into my old rhythm last night, but it got too late and I had to stop. My only goal is write one sentence a night.

So far 5K on book 4.

Reactions: Ban

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Goal for this week will be writing more of the story I started. I await my puppy pic.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
That's a lovely puppy pic. Cocker Spaniel?

Edit: No wait, King Charles' Spaniel!

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Yep, that one. It's one of my favorite dog breed names: King Charles Cavalier Spaniel. They turn up in plenty of 17thc paintings. It amuses me that a dog gets named not just after an English king, not just after the Merry Monarch, but after the Cavaliers--who fought for his restoration after that dreary business with the Cromwells. And, as icing on the cake, there's the Spanish connection. All wrapped up in one of the cheeriest, kindest dog breeds around (and that's saying something!).

Ruby (her name) is also something of a dork. The previous was a puppy pic. This is her at age two.
1687810107974.png

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
So, there you have pics. Now: how much have you written?
So far in this story? Since my Wednesday post I have written about 7,500 words, of which I'd say 2000 were written today and yesterday. We'll see how many I'll have come next friday. As for Ruby, she is a dainty madam. I have never seen a dog sit like that and I have seen an enormous amount of dogs.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I know. I'm glad I had my phone with me to capture that, as she's not sat that way again. My son-in-law photoshopped it so she's sitting on a throne, on a tree stump, and so on. Good stuff.

I'm glad to hear you are writing. I'm afraid I don't do goals, other than to write five days a week, with time off for trips, visits, and heart surgeries. I'm slogging through second draft right now, which is often the toughest pass for me. But it's on hold because I am visited by my grandson and we're busy most days building Warhammer models. Good lord but that stuff is detailed!

After 5 July, though, it's back at it.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
What book are you working on currently with that second draft? A sequel in the Altearth setting?

I'm in "luck" that I have time aplenty for the moment (and some moments before), so I should be able to continue making fast progress. It's my goal to finish writing a full work of prose that can be called a proper book, which in my estimation includes a lengthy novella. I am not sure how long the work will be, but I am glad the writing is going well.

Building warhammer models with your grandson sounds like an enjoyable activity worthy of pausing one's writing over. Never had any of those models, primarily because they're so bloody pricey. Is it warhammer fantasy/Sigmar or 40k?

Last edited:

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Warhammer 40k, and yes they are ridiculously expensive. The detail is nearly overwhelming. I just poke along following the instructions and doing a lot of squinting. The kid cruises, kitbashing left and right.

Everything I write is in Altearth. I have far more stories than I do years, so there's little point in exploring elsewhere. The current work is the first one that could be called a sequel, since it's volume 2 (of six) in the adventures of the Trouvères. My other stuff is all standalone, scattered over countries and centuries.

Finishing is everything, in prose as well as in poetry.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
No word goal for the week. Just trying to get the thing kick started. Its like the car is moving forward, but its in the wrong gear and sputtering. I've yet to hit some element that will see it come to life. I may end up rewriting all of the beginning, but I keep putting down words and moving it along as slowly the vision fills it. Would be nice to have my stride right, but so far...not yet.

If at the end of the week, my brain is planning out the next scene and the next...that will be a win. Right now, some of what it will contain is in there, and I do see how I want it structured, I just dont have a road map of scenes to follow. The way point I am shooting for is not helping with the spot I am in.

No dog pics for me... though.

And please no on warhammer 4K for me. I dont need another expensive hobby. I feel my RPG and miniature days are already too far behind me.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I currently have more than 10 thousand words. A bit of editing and plotting slowed down the writing speed, but I am glad of where I am at currently.

Below is the beautiful lundehund, one of my favourite dog breeds due to how far they stray from other dog breeds. They have six toes, webbed feet and are flexible to a degree unseen in other dogs. Benefits of being bred for a niche. They were meant for hunting puffins in the craggy Norwegian cliffs. I found the picture here Saving the Norwegian Lundehund: an update from Milo:

2017-01-18-0940-3_orig.png

Last edited:

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Challenge for this week will be the same as last week. Write, write, write. Hoping to break 15k. The map for this setting is finished and I've put work in on a cover.

Last edited:

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I did succeed in writing more and editing a bunch, but I didn't reach the 15k mark, so I'll compromise on the stick and dog reward by giving myself a picture of a puppy holding a stick.

puppy-1189067_1920.jpg

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Still no word goal. I've been trying to steer the story to the newest threat and not really getting to it. Last night I pushed to where I can force it in. I think that will unlock a bit, and get things going. Pesky characters need to be pulled by a leash to it so far. I may end up rewriting most of the beginning, but if i get the flow going, I wont mind. I also did away with so many characters in Book 3, that I am now creating whole new groups of characters. One I want to add popped up about two days ago. I really have no place for them yet, but I feel I would such a character...so we will see.

I did write every day so far, but maybe not with useful word counts. So far, the engine is making noises, but the car is not going.

When I was writing story 2, I had a character that was just killing the story. They were a senior and respected member of the group, and the MC would listen to them, but they were too wise and understandably cautious, and the MC is rash. I had to separate them, but had a lot of difficulty doing so, cause story logic would not allow it. Finally, I just had the MC jump off a wall to ditch them and never looked back. Story 4 is kind of in that area. Something to light the fire needs to happen.

Anyway...FTR...not a dog person.