• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Patterns of stressed and unstressed syllables: has anyone else written about this?

I've noticed that other writers whose writing is described as "beautiful" often write in ways that fit certain patterns, and I've noticed that my writing is more likely to be called "beautiful" when I use them. For instance, the rules for writing a calm, peaceful scene include:

Alternate stressed and unstressed syllables where possible

A one-syllable word beginning a sentence counts as stressed, as does a one-syllable word right after an unstressed syllable

Stress the first syllable after a three-syllable word unless the third syllable is stressed

Put one-syllable nouns in positions where they will be stressed

and so on. The thing is, I've never actually heard another writer describe these techniques. I can't be the only one who's noticed them, right?

Edankyn

Minstrel
In poetry there is a process called scansion. Basically this is the technique of finding rhythm like you're talking about. However, the definition of prose is "written or spoken language in its ordinary form, without metrical structure." When there is metrical structure it's defined as poetry.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
In poetry there is a process called scansion. Basically this is the technique of finding rhythm like you're talking about. However, the definition of prose is "written or spoken language in its ordinary form, without metrical structure." When there is metrical structure it's defined as poetry.

What about free verse poetry? That has no consistent meter or rhyme in most cases, but it's still called poetry.

What about free verse poetry? That has no consistent meter or rhyme in most cases, but it's still called poetry.

Not consistent doesn't mean it doesn't have meter at all. A lot of free verse still follows these patterns to some degree; it just breaks them whenever the author feels like breaking them. For that matter, poetry in translation, even if it doesn't keep the rhyming, often keeps some echoes of these patterns--the translators choose the most poetic way to translate it, and that just so happens to be the patterned way. (Case in point: this translation of The End and the Beginning, which follows the rules more often than not, and hence flows very smoothly.)

Edankyn

Minstrel
I said that if it has metrical structure it's defined as poetry. I did not say all poetry has metrical structure. Basically the logical argument that all A are B doesn't mean all B are A. Also (and I know that I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but I'm going to say it anyway) I don't give credence to free verse poetry. We have terms to describe short to medium length works that are written without metrical structure; we call it prose. I understand that a large part of the writing community since the early 19th century has attempted to blur the line between prose and poetry, but I don't see the value in it. IMO call a short story a short story, call a novella a novella, and call a poem a poem. I don't buy into the "heightened imagery" argument either, but I'm a bit of a traditionalist.

Pythagoras

Troubadour
I've actually considered doing something like this, but I haven't yet gotten around to giving it a try. I suppose it does fall under the poetic category.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
It's interesting that there's actually a system of rules for this kind of thing. For me personally it seems a bit much to try and come to grips with it at the moment and I'lll try to keep going the way I feel like. Still, knowing about these things may come in handy further down the line.

Nobby

Sage
Yikes, far too many educated opinions here for me to reply to. I just jabber until it makes a semblance of sense.

Seriously (yes, I can do that) poetry and prose are not antithetical to each other, I think of their relationship as more of a classical dance - they both have their places alone, but neither is as beautiful alone as with the other.