• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Perfect character, no story

Well, whoever has played the game Dishonored, you will be quite in shock. After playing the game an enjoying the options and the fun, I had something come to me, along with some other projects I made.

I build random things in my spare time from USB powered A/C units that are the size of a lunch box, to a mechanical converter that turns water into hydroxy gas for machines to use instead of gasoline. (still working on this design for cars) I recently had some ideas that I want o build and maybe incorporate into a new character for a short story.

The first design is a butane powered flame punch. Fuel, which is basically butane contained in a detergent and hydroxide to make a "lotion", is sprayed out of containers contained which is held in the device which is then strapped to the wrists. When sprayed out, the compound is lathered over the hands and an ignition within the device sets off the compound, creating flaming hands that can be used to punch people and such fun. the original fuel used dish soap, but that shakes off easily and can burn out while the new compound can be extinguished with a fast flick of the wrist, but can be reignited. This cuts down on the users need to constantly lather the compound back on. When finished, the compound can be wiped off or burned off.

The second is actually something I saw from Nighthawkinlight. It's a static shock generator. Basically, a capacitor and a power supply is attached to the user with electrical contacts touching the body. (Nighthawk's design was a ground cable strapped to the bottom of the foot in order to ground the circuit and the generator with an aluminum plate that had the positive wire attached to it touching his thigh, turning his body into a load device) What this device does is that it creates a strong field of static electricity around the user that is so powerful, that electrical devices nearby begin to malfunction and the user can create electrical arcs between metal objects, or other people, without inflicting harm on himself. I figured this would be pretty helpful.

Third is a mask, similar to Corvo's mask, that allows the user to focus his sight and magnify it, see in the dark and see IR, hide his voice and replace it with another one, and act as a respirator even while underwater. (still trying to figure out the underwater part. Probably a mini hydroxy generator that pushes away the hydrogen after-product and leaves the oxygen.) It is also bullet proof and fire proof. I haven't come up with how it should appear just yet. It will also allow him to control the ranges of light and sound he senses.

Fourth is a katana. It is outfitted with (either one) a plasma generator, or a device similar to the static generator plus a built-in flamethrower. I would prefer the plasma, but considering that it would melt the blade may not be the best choice. The only real way I can add this plasma generator is if the metal is either a nonconductor, or does not ground the plasma and only work as a load device for the electric current.

So far, that's all I have. I wanted to attach these to a character who's basically a social rebel. (no surprise, just like the rest of my characters) He looks down on society and what it has become and he wants to fix it. For the first time, no supernatural or immortal powers for this one. He's basically a normal, run-of-the-mills 18 year old male who just wants to see the world change. He's suffered too much and now people around him are suffering, so he takes his mechanical genius to the next level and makes weapons and tools to support him in trying to correct the world. I actually got the idea for this while on the school bus, listening to a bunch of rowdy teenagers going through puberty act like perverted children. It irritated me so much that I imagined this character jumping on the bus and teaching these kids a lesson. (he's very violent when he teaches)

What do you think a good plot or back story would be good as a basis for the layout?

Jabrosky

Banned
I've had experiences where I had a character in mind and had to attach a story to them later. However, I don't think I've ever started with certain pieces of hardware they carry around. Usually I start with physical appearance, cultural background, and occupation instead.

Given that you've already sketched out a personality and back-story for your character, I would pit them against whatever would come into conflict with their goal. If your hero wants to fix society and correct the world, what forces out there are messing it up in the first place?

Gurkhal

Auror
Due to the relation between character and story I can't see how a character can be perfect without being in a story, or maybe a characte can only be perfect without a story?

In regards for a backstory...I think you've already written one. You've said that he's suffered and seen people suffering, and that's a backstory right there as far as I can see. Don't know if its helpful but there it is.

First of all, we're about to find out if the DHS reads Mythic Scribes.

Second, I like the McGyver aspects here, especially the flaming hands, which are sort of like Peter Parker's webshooters as a hand hack. What if the story were about some tinkerer who wants to become a superhero, but lacking powers, tries to go the Batman route? To separate him from the kid in The Incredibles, what might be fun is if there were a Mr. Bill element in that his devices never quite work the way they were supposed to to his detriment and that of the people around him. The tension re how everything will go wrong despite his supra-genis, which is key to shows as varied as Wily Coyote and Fraser, would be one of the main narrative drivers.