• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Personality Of A Light And Dark Mage

ShadeZ

Maester
Hello,
I'm having some difficulty hammering down exactly what the personality would be of an opposites mage. For example someone who uses ice and fire magic. In my books, elements have personality types associated with them. Normally opposite elements are so polar end of the spectrum that they can't be used together. A few mages though can keep them seperate enough to use two opposing elements at once. One such character uses dark magic for offense and light magic for defense. However I'm not sure what her personality would be I suppose it could be either an equal amount of borrowed traits or it could be she has two "moods" that she jumps between.

Light Traits
Docile
Protective
Guardians
Extroverted
Outgoing
Draws attention

Dark traits
Aggressive
Offensive
Predatory
Introverted
Shy
Dislikes attention

Characters traits so far
Neutral
Will protect by being offensive
Predatory
Ambiverted
Quiet natured but not shy
Prefers to not be the center of attention

I'm trying to have her be 50/50 but as you can see her traits favor dark traits. Any advice would be appreciated.

Lynea

Sage
It sounds like you have her concisely laid out. However, I'm not really gripped by the idea of a neutral character where everything cancels itself out. Perhaps some duality would make her a stronger character. Like, she can be aggressive but fiercely protective of her loved ones. She can be outgoing in small crowds but shy in large crowds. I'd give her high defense and high stealth. Not so high on the strength.

ShadeZ

Maester
I'm not really gripped by the idea of a neutral character where everything cancels itself out.
The neutral only refers to that top one she isn't docile or aggressive. So far she is the sort to observe things intensely before she gets involved which comes off somewhat shy since she intentionally removes herself from the situation to observe what is going on. She hates situations where she has to jump in feet first.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Consider how large a dose you have for the traits. For example you can show someone as being helpful by carrying a box for someone or by diving into a raging river to save a strangers life. Try having an overall match in level between all the Light and Dark traits. This gives you some freedom to not keep every trait neutral.

ShadeZ

Maester
go with bipolar - maniac depressive
Ironically enough she actually already has severe ADHD. Her twin brother has OCD and freaks if she messes with his room or misplaces his things her baby brother has severe anxiety and ptsd and tends to have panic attack type episodes. Their species tends to get mental disorders as a side effect of being immortals stuck watching their friends and lovers die of agem sickness, or injury.