• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Perspectives

What are your views on perspectives in the fantasy genre?

I have finally started my third redraft but something unusual has happened that has thrown me off track and has stumbled me. In the first draft of my novel, Lady of the Kryptonites I used the perspectives of my main three characters who were all written into the 'will'. Now though, I have neded up with double the perspectives and my inner critic is shaking her head telling me it's too many.

So here's the question. Do you think this is absolute madness, like myself does at this present moment? Or do you think I could make it work somehow?

All of them are written in frst person and last for about three - four pages.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Six POV characters, written first person, is a real challenge that will take a lot of skill to do successfully, and is extremely daring if this is your first novel.

Whether any of that means you shouldn't do it isn't something I could tell you without looking at your work.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
A few questions. Those three new POVs, what did they bring into the story that wasn't there in the first draft? Was it just more info? Was it a different perspective on the situation? In comparison to the original 3 POVs, how many scenes are told from these new POVs? If it's just one or two each, it may be a sign that you're trying to plug plot holes by inserting convent POVs to get stuff across instead of figuring things out within the limitations of your original 3 POVs. But as Devor said, it's hard to say for sure without more info.

How long is the book? If it's short, some of your characters may get short changed in terms of development.

Last edited:
I really can't answer this question because any time someone shows me a windmill I shout "HELL YES! IT'S GOING DOWN!" and then I get a severe concussion from running full-tilt into a windmill.

My current novel has four main POV characters; each chapter is entirely from the POV of one of those characters. There are five other chapters whose POV is from other characters: a prologue, an epilogue, and three interludes. I'm planning on using this same structure for the two sequels, as well.

However, the next novel I write after this trilogy, I'm planning on a single POV for the entire book, with no prologue or epilogue. The four-POV thing introduces some interesting constraints, but it's also been problematic at times when I don't want to have a 500-word chapter just to give someone's perspective.

I like multiple POV; but I think the next time I do it, it's going to be a lot of much shorter sections, rather than 3-6k word chapters. So a single chapter might contain 4-5 POV sections, from the POVs of different characters. I've seen novels do that before, and enjoyed it, with the sole exception of not liking the fact that I don't know who the POV character is for a line or two sometimes, which is a little jarring. I'm a big fan of GRRM's habit of putting the name of the POV character at the beginning of the chapter. (I'm not a big fan of the fact that he doesn't number the chapters. That's just annoying when you're trying to discuss the books with someone.)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I agree with Devor. There is no inherent reason this can't be done successfully, but I think the chances to do it unsuccessfully are greater unless you have a really good handle on what you are doing.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
In general, with most fantasy I read, the POV tends to be 3rd person-limited. I think it's easier for people to keep track of characters that way, especially if it's an epic 6 or 7 POV novel. It's fine to tinker with conventions if it works for you, but if it's causing you problems, it may be better just to scrap that so you can focus more on the content of the story.

If anything makes the reader say, "Who is talking now?" you've lost them. Reading is supposed to be an immersing activity and if you're getting jarred because of the POV then it's not really doing what it's supposed to.

That's my perspective on...uh...perspective.

The new POV's have brought a great deal of suspense and questions which could intrigue the reader I don't yet know if that's a good or bad thing.

They have a couple of scenes for each chapter which follow after the MC's. It would look something like this;

Chapter One -

Protagonist.
Antagonist.
Protagonist.
Antagonist.

Chapter Two -

Protagonist.
Antagonist.
Protagonist.
Antagonist.

Chapter Three -

Protagonist.
Antagonist.
Protagonist.
Antagonist.

The length of the story is going to be fairly long.

I have to admit 3rd person perspective puts me off a novel because I find that it's harder to follow than a one in first, also i can connect with the characters who are mainly involved. This is probably why i haven't read many fantasy books too.

ArielFingolfin

Troubadour
Here's my question: Why are you using first person? Is it because you honestly think the story will be better from that perspective, or are you just doing what comes more naturally to you? I know I feel much more comfortable in first person because I can develop the voice and get inside the character's head better. Just something to think about.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
The new POV's have brought a great deal of suspense and questions which could intrigue the reader I don't yet know if that's a good or bad thing.

Can any of that suspense or those questions be brought up using the original 3 POV characters? Do the new POVs add a new dimension to the story that can not be explored with the original 3 POVs?

It's something that I have been thinking about. It's a possibility but I would need to think about whether to go on explorimg with the new POV's or to go back to the original three.

I haven't completely ruled it out yet.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat

But there's other ways to build suspense and raise questions.

The question is what the new POVs do for you in terms of character development. Can you develop six main characters in a way that does each of them justice? Can you make each distinct and likable and deep enough? Figure that out and you can adjust the plot accordingly.