• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Pictures, pictures - L'Encyclopedie

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Once upon a time in the 18thc a feller named Denis Diderot decided he'd undertake a little project. He would catalog all of human endeavor--"each and every branch of human knowledge"--but it was even broader than that. His encyclopedia is a treasure of where Europe was in the 18th century, and you can read it all online and in English (or the original French) here;
The Encyclopedia of Diderot & d'Alembert Collaborative Translation Project
(the University of Michigan, btw, was also a founding member of NSF Net)
but that's not why we're here.

We're here for this:
The Encyclopedia of Diderot & d'Alembert Collaborative Translation Project - Plates
Because those crazy Frenchmen (he hired a whole crew) not only wrote detailed articles on "every branch of human knowledge" they also commissioned artists to go out and draw stuff. The result is hundreds of gorgeous, meticulous engravings. If you need info on some craft or activity, be sure to stop by Diderot's masterwork.

Long, long ago, when I was in grad school, my major professor brought out one of her prized possessions: a multi-volume printed set of all the engravings of L'Encyclopedie.. Incredibly expensive it was, and a joy to browse. Online is better, of course, but that was a memorable hour.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Also btw and post scriptum, if you visit the site's home page you'll see this quote from Diderot. I was struck how similar in it is, though considerably less democratic, to the mission of Wikipedia.

This is a work that cannot be completed except by a society of men of letters and skilled workmen, each working separately on his own part, but all bound together solely by their zeal for the best interests of the human race and a feeling of mutual good will.” —Diderot

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Hopefully better than Wikipedia, heh heh.

Yup, that could slow down my writing hanging out there... best I ignore it, LOL.