1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Play-Test Episode: "Ariel's Fate"

Discussion in 'Flat Earth' started by Legendary Sidekick, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Ariel

I turn to look at Mariya, and my eyes widen in surprise. She's floating on a salty breeze, her face tilted heavenward. I shiver in anticipation of I don't know what. What is going on?

2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

((I'll allow some time for Noma to read the PM and RP her "choice" as she sees fit.))

Ireth likes this.
  3. Ruby

Ruby Auror

Fenella

1D20 => 7

I'm SO glad to have climbed down to sea level. I have a quick look at the shell. I'm not sure if I can help. Maybe, I'll just leave this to Mariya...

4. Noma Galway

Noma Galway Archmage

((oh goodness I'm SO sorry guys! College caught up to me :/))

As my mother speaks, I think carefully before saying quietly, "All right." Serving my mother and the princess are the important thing, here.

5. Legendary Sidekick

Mariya agrees to what her mother asks of her. At first, no one has a clue as to what the little muse is agreeing to.

A couple seconds pass, then the saltiness of the sea breeze becomes potent. The wind grows intense. And the little muse is growing as well. Her tiny gown is swept from her body, which in the same instant, is clothed in swirling streaks of blue-green seawater.

Once the transformation is complete, Mariya stands six feet tall, clad in a gown of seawater that touches the ground, turning sand to mud. Mariya's shoulders and arms are bare, and the gown fits tightly from the waist up. Her petite features suggest that her human-sized form is in fact only five feet tall. The swirling water is almost completely opaque, making Mariya's gown surprisingly modest considering the material. Any observer who looks to ground level (perhaps attempting to see Mariya's feet to find out if she's tiptoeing or treading water) will notice sand from the ground mixing with the moving water of the gown, creating blue-and-brown patterns that move about the hem.

Noma Galway and Ireth like this.
  6. Noma Galway

Noma Galway Archmage

Mariya takes a deep breath after she finishes growing, and she's noticeably trembling. This is so strange! How do the humans manage such a large form? She plants her feet on the sand and takes a single shaky step toward the princess, looking around at the others, now closer to her height. "My mother will speak through me now, instead of that skull." Her voice is much richer than it had been, but it is still quiet. Mariya finds herself wondering how her singing voice will sound. Suppose I'll test that out later.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  7. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Ariel

I gape open-mouthed as Mariya transforms. She's dressed in a gown of seawater that's somehow perfectly modest, and has grown to five or six feet tall -- I can't quite tell if she's still floating or standing on the sandy beach that her skirt is turning to mud.

When I find my voice again, all I can say is, "Wow..."

8. Legendary Sidekick

Mariya easily sinks until her feet touch the sand. The gown adjusts itself so Mariya now stands about five feet tall.

As Ariel watches the gown, she notices that the swirling sand never rises more than a few inches—maybe sometimes close to a foot—above the hem. The pattern is pretty and artistic, but after watching for a few seconds, Ariel can tell that the gown is forcing out all foreign substances. Above the blue-brown swirls is pure seawater and nothing else.

Lily says, "I thought you were gonna turn into a mermaid." She moves closer, reaching a finger, but then having second thoughts about touching the gown. Her eyes chase the patterns at the hem for a couple seconds. She steps back and says, "This way is better. I really like the dress."

9. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Ariel

"It's beautiful," I add, grinning. "Really suits you. Are you okay?" I can't help but notice she's shaking.

10. Legendary Sidekick

The Voice

Mariya's eyes become like lightning. She turns to Ariel. The words of her mother flow from her lips:

"Ariel, it is time for you to leave this island. My sisters, Belle and Beatrice, are on Mount Neverest. Your parents are assisting them, but they cannot handle the task ahead of them. I sent my daughter Mariya to look after you, but you have proven capable of handling yourself."

Lily's lips tremble at The Voice's first words but melt into a grin as the goddess speaks of Ariel's capabilities.

"If there is something you wish to do before leaving the island, I will give you until sundown. At that time, or sooner, come to my daughter. Through her, I will bring you to the mountain—to your parents." Mariya looks at Fenella, and Furtano as well, adding, "You, the princess, and any other brave warriors who fought by your side today.

"You will help your parents complete their task. That is, if this is something you wish to do."

As the ladies are mesmerized by the gown, Futano takes a step back, not being quite so interested when the conversation turns to fashion. Furtano notices Brother Lorenzo and another monk are lurking in the cavern.

After Mariya—or her mom—mentions "brave warriors," Lorenzo whispers to the other monk, "I guess She doesn't mean us."

11. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Ariel

Goosebumps crawl up my arms as The Voice speaks through Mariya. I bow my head humbly as She speaks of my abilities, and try not to be daunted at the thought of an unknown task ahead. If that's what my goddesses want me to do, then... "I'll do it. I don't think there's much left for me to do here, except maybe one last hunt. We can dry the meat and pack it for the journey."

12. Legendary Sidekick

Lily agrees, "Okay, Ariel. One more hunt, then… I'll have Susan do something with those herbs. Whatever you're doing sounds dangerous, so I'll…"

Her voice trails off. It seems clear Lily isn't sure what she should do.

The Voice speaks to Lily. "You have done all you can for her. For the sake of those on your island, you must remain here. Do not weep. Today's hunt will not be your last with Ariel."

Lily scoffs, "I wasn't gonna cry."

She smirks defiantly, but Ariel can see her trainer's eyes are welling with tears.

13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Ariel

I laugh in my throat and hug Lily tight. "Come on, let's track down one last beastie together. You can help me make some warmer clothes out of it; I'll need more than this dress where I'm going. A cloak, and some arm- and leg-warmers at least."

I bid goodbye to the others for the moment, then set off into the brush, bow in hand and quiver on my back.

((If we're playing out this hunt, LS, you can feel free to choose a beast for them to track.))

14. Legendary Sidekick

Lily gathers some sticks and sharpens them with her knife. "I really should have made more of these. That, or not hang my bow on the meat wagon so Heather and Ivy can haul it back to base camp, leaving me unarmed." With her crude spears bundled in her left arm, plus one held in her right, she tells Ariel, "I'll back you up, but you're the one with the long range weapon. I expect this will be your kill."

[​IMG]
    ((Ireth, go ahead and roll for Ariel. What beast you find depends on the roll.))

Mariya hears more words from her mother, but this time the words do not come out of her mouth. ​This new body will take some getting used to, my dear. You may revert to your pixie form any time you wish.

Mariya feels that the water element is stronger in this form, where as a pixie, she found her magic favored wind. As she glances at Fenella, her mother continues, The princess has always been fascinated by magic. Perhaps in your larger body, the princess can plainly see how you use your voice to control magic…

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  15. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Ariel

I keep my eyes on the ground for the most part, wondering what we'll find to make food and clothes out of this time. Maybe we can use the bones and such for weapons too.

[​IMG]

16. Legendary Sidekick

((Remember, bad rolls in Flat Earth means Rolz owes us in Dragon's Egg.))

Ariel and Lily are having a difficult time finding anything. For the first hour of the hunt, Lily's grumblings grow more frequent and increasingly profane. "It's like all the animals suddenly agreed to stop shitting in the woods!"

[​IMG]

((You can roll for the second hour of the hunt, and also feel free to give a narrative of something that went on during that hour. You have permission to narrate Lily's actions for this, as well as words or the gist of her words, if you want to.))

17. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Ariel

"Maybe all the orcs and donkey-men scared them off?" I shrug. "I know I'd run if I were a beast."

[​IMG]

This is getting irritating. I hope we're not out here all evening. The Voice is waiting for me, and my parents are counting on me. I wonder if they know I'll be joining them?

18. Legendary Sidekick

As the second hour passes, Lily starts to calm down. She realizes that Ariel will be leaving soon, and she knows there is no guarantee a beast will be found. She says as much to Ariel, choosing her words carefully to avoid sounding to sentimental. Her voice occasionally shows the feeling she's attempting to hide.

She does ask Ariel, "What have your parents gotten themselves into? I thought your dad just played music and did magic tricks the day I met him. When you said he's as much a warrior as your mom, you weren't kidding?"

[​IMG]
    ((You can roll 3rd hour.))

19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Ariel

I nod. "He saved my life a time or two, even before he and Mum got married; you must have seen the claw marks on his left cheek. I think that's why he was so supportive of me coming out here and training with you -- he wanted to make sure I could take care of myself. I was surprised, honestly -- he's really protective. Comes with raising me almost by himself after my mother died, I guess. My uncle helped him out a lot, though."

I shouldn't let myself get too distracted by the past -- we've got work to do in the present, after all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  20. Legendary Sidekick

Lily finally catches a break. She sees the tracks of a lone gazelle, and softly reports her finding to Ariel. As the two follow the tracks, Ariel makes a discovery of her own. Some broken plants catch her attention, and from her experience in the wilderness, she can tell that the plants were likely bent and broken only minutes ago. She can also establish direction as well as the size of the creature.

The gazelle is being followed. The predator is something wolf-like, though Roko-Roku is not known for having wolves. The only similarly built creature Ariel knows of on Roku-Roku is a hyena. She has never seen one, but Lily has mentioned them. It's the only creature Lily has ever described as being "obnoxious."

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015