1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Play-Test Episode: "Ariel's Fate"

Discussion in 'Flat Earth' started by Legendary Sidekick, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Noma Galway

Noma Galway Archmage

I concentrate on shifting back. When I open my eyes, I say, "Well, my princess and I are the same age. I grew up with her." I wobble a little. Still not used to this size. "I suppose it might be hard when she looks physically older than me, but..." I trail off.

2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Violet gives Mariya sort of a guilty look. "Oh, I didn't realize you…" She looks over at Susan. "It doesn't matter. Just enjoy your days with your human friends. Your parents made you stronger so you can—

"No… not your parents. Your mother gave you this form. Your father couldn't have—he's not slain, so he still has his earthly form." Violet hesitates. "Maybe your mother made you stronger so you can find your father. Do you think—"

She looks at Fenella, and also notices the sun is getting very low in the sky.

"I suppose your mother is asking a lot of you right now. Well, should you return to this island for any reason, look me up. Especially if there's trouble."

Lily tells Ariel that she can teach her how to make good use of those claws when she returns to the island. "Your goddess said this wasn't our last hunt together. I'll take her word for it."

Lily sits at the cliff's edge facing west. "We'll have a great view of the sunset," she says.

Rose asks, "What about the graduation ceremony?"

"We celebrated by hunting as equals. What better way to celebrate the completion of a girl's training?"

((I'll give Devor a bit of time to reply to Lorenzo so I can properly hand out his quest reward.))

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  3. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Ariel

I smile as I sit next to Lily, gazing westward. "Yeah, I don't need a huge ceremony or anything. Just knowing I got through this past month is enough. And that hunt was a great way to end my time here." I grin at my trainer, my equal. "Hopefully it won't be too long before we can have another one together."

4. Ruby

Ruby Auror

Fenella

I find Mariya. I'm so relieved, but then I look at her closely.

"Mariya? You look, kind of, different...?"

5. Noma Galway

Noma Galway Archmage

"Yes, perhaps she did. Thank you, Violet." I smile, maybe a little sadly, but it doesn't matter much. "I definitely will. And even if there isn't trouble, I would come find you." I look at Fenella. "Different, Princess? Are you referring to my size?"

6. Ruby

Ruby Auror

Fenella

"Yes, Mariya. Aren't you...um...bigger than usual?"

7. Noma Galway

Noma Galway Archmage

I laugh. "Yes. It's a little odd to me at the moment as well. Where are the others?"

Ruby likes this.
  8. Ruby

Ruby Auror

Fenella

I was going to ask you the same question, Mariya.

But tell me, is this a permanent change? You will still be my muse, won't you? And don't expect me to be carrying you around on my shoulder any more. This mighty golden sword of mine is pretty heavy, you know.

9. Legendary Sidekick

FENELLA / MARIYA (near the cave)

Violet sees Fenella and Mariya discussing your new form.

"Aww… I'll leave you to discuss this, if you'd like. I noticed the others are watching the sunset on the plateau." She gestures to a clearing not far to the west. Fenella can see the women, as can Mariya if she stands on her toes. Furtano and the monks may be there as well, but obscured from view by some nearby brush and wildflowers.

ARIEL (on the western plateau)

Lily gives Ariel a hug. "You'll be missed."

She says that with a tone of finality as she turns her gaze westward, but when facing the sun, she adds,

"You've got a gift, kid. I saw it early on, but after today… I don't know. Maybe it's who your parents are, maybe it's the reason a goddess—your goddess—is putting you to work. I don't know what to make of you, but you've got something beyond natural talent.

"When you get back, there's more I can teach you. There's no set price for this lesson; it's not something we normally teach. It's not something just anybody can learn."

She looks at Rose, but seems to be at a loss for words. Rose turns to Ariel. "In other words, your parents will not have to pay for Lily's next lesson. They do need to discuss it with me." She looks at Lily, "Mom, dad, Ariel, me and you. We will all discuss what it is you intend to teach. If Ariel's interested and her parents don't object, you have my blessing."

FURTANO (also on the plateau, directly west of some brush and wildflowers)

Brother Lorenzo sees he is being ignored. He recalls that Furtano did call him a coward, and so the monk falls silent, wondering if that is simply the case.

Brother Mud says, "C'mon, Lorenzo. Let's just start that new order. It's obvious this guy doesn't want to hear about your Pass Hole."

"Hole Pass," says Brother Lorenzo. "I renamed it 'Hole Pass.'"

"Pass Hole? Hole Pass? What's the difference?"

"The difference is immense."

10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Ariel

I nod slowly as Lily speaks, and can't help but smile when she says I have a gift. Beyond that, I'm not even sure what to think, much less say.

"What is it you want to teach me?" I ask, looking between her and Rose. "I'd like some time to think about it -- if I can get any with what I'm going to do -- before I make a decision. Maybe I can discuss it with Mum and Dad before we get back here, to save a bit of time. If that's okay with you." I pause. "Then again... maybe it's better if we leave it as a surprise. I'm sure I'll have enough on my mind once I'm on the mountain. What do you think?"

11. Legendary Sidekick

Lily says, "We were close to him today. The red-maned liger. Twelve feet long, half a ton of sold muscle. Heather saw him swatting those hyenas. We caught the silverback, but he wasn't on the hunt. He was running from a fight his pack couldn't win… maybe taking out his frustration on that gazelle, or trying to. The red-maned liger took out twenty of his boys.

"Next time you're here, I want you to see him. I want you to meet the red-maned liger."

Lily gestures to Rose's dress. Along the hem are long, fine, fiery red hairs—enough to have come from an adult male, from what Ariel knows of lions… though the red mane used to line Rose's dress couldn't be the entire mane of a lion-like creature as large as the one Lily is describing.

"Most powerful beast that walks the earth," she adds. For some reason, Lily seems quite satisfied by that statement.

12. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Ariel

I give a low whistle of astonishment, looking at Rose with wide eyes. "So what are we gonna do with him? Hunt him down, tame him, or what?" I'm not sure which idea scares of excites me more.

13. Legendary Sidekick

Rose replies, "I suppose she'll let you pet him."

Lilt adds, "I will... if he lets her."

14. Noma Galway

Noma Galway Archmage

"I am still able to take my regular form. But at this size I shall walk." I look over to the west. "Shall we join them?"

15. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Ariel

I grin at the thought of being able to pet a liger without getting my hand ripped off. "Guess we'll see how he feels."

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  16. Legendary Sidekick

((Sorry to pay more attention to the other RPGs than my own. When working on the art, I keep thinking of it as Flat Earth time! Let's bring this episode to its final scene…))

Lily simply nods to Ariel. When Mariya approaches, there is a strong scent of the sea. The Voice speaks through Her daughter once more.

"Ariel, it is time for you to go to your parents. They have made a decision to protect my sister, Beatrice—whom you know as The Maiden. You may look at Her as if She is your little sister as well, and I can tell you She will like that.

"But that is not the reason I am rushing you to Her and your parents.

"Your parents are protecting one of my sisters and rescuing the other—Belle, The Spirit. From what She needs rescuing, you may wish to know. When you see Beatrice and your parents, you will have your answer."

Mariya feels her mother's presence fade from her body, allowing her to move freely. Yet she understands that the moment Ariel stands close to her, she will be whisked away in an instant. The destination: wherever The Voice sees fit.

Ireth likes this.
  17. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Ariel

I listen in silence as The Voice speaks again, shivering a little as the weight of our task settles on me. I figure I can wait for more specifics until She sends me to meet my parents.

I step up to Mariya's side, and clasp her hand for good measure. Taking deep breaths, I stand still and wait.

18. Legendary Sidekick

Lily says, "Stay strong, Ariel. I'll see you when your goddesses permit—or perhaps when mine do."

Perhaps Lily's chance to speak her words is a gift from The Voice Herself, as the moment Ariel touched Mariya's hand, she could already feel the electrical charge in the air around her. The last she sees of Lily is a look of confidence and pride in her student. Her five fellow huntresses are there, as are the two monks.

As a flash of lightning abruptly whitens her vision, Ariel can only assume that Princess Fenella and Furtano are with her. If there is a boom, it may be heard on Roku-Roku Island.

But Ariel is not on Roku-Roku. As her vision fades from blinding white to blinding white with rapidly flickering spots, she feels a chill. Her boots are sinking into not-quite-solid ground…

((What Ariel and others see will be on the upcoming Episode 3 thread. You may react to the moment and/or the feeling of being transported via lightning, if you wish.))

Noma Galway and Ireth like this.
  19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

((I'll save Ariel's reaction for the next thread. If they're travelling at the speed of light, there's not much time to react before they get where they're going anyway!))