• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Please give me suggestion

Rush

Acolyte
Hi, I am just about to start delving into reading epic fantasy. What books would you recommend me?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Hi Rush, welcome here.

Well, the basics would be:

LOTR
Sword of Shannara
Wheel of Time
Game of Thrones
Earthsea
Narnia
Mistborn

And maybe a 1000 others.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Epic Fantasy covers a lot of territory.

'Lord of the Rings' is the classic.
'Game of Thrones' (book version) is good but likely fated to never be completed.
Kate Elliots 'Crown of Stars' is most definitely epic.
Feists 'Magician' series is epic and good.
LeGuin's 'Earthsea' series another classic.

Feist's Magician series is a good starting point.
Most books by Trudi Canavan are good.
The Inheritance books by Christopher Paolini
The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb

Lord of the Rings is indeed the classic. I love it, but it is a bit older than the rest.

Rush

Acolyte
Thank you for the suggestions!
I was going to start with Feist's Magician since it's mentioned here multiple times.
But I could only get the last one in the series in the local bookstore...Magician's End haha.
I dont wanna read it yet, and pls dont spoil it to me.
I'm going to find the first books in the series (just found out that Magician is part of a whooping 30-plus book series, wow!)

Last edited:

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Eve of Snows! Now that I'm done shamelessly plugging my work, I'd say Lord of the Rings. To add a little something, a something which might be considered a tad "wordy", Tad Williams' Dragonbone Chair and the subsequent trilogy.

I enjoyed Feist when younger but honestly, I enjoyed his work with Janny Wurts in Daughter of the Empire better than Magician or oddly enough, any work either of them did solo. Not that I've read everything by either of them.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Not exactly a classic, but definitely epic fantasy, but if you are feeling brave, you might try my 'Empire' series. Just released book 5, 'Empire: Spiral.' The first book, 'Empire: Country,' is priced at $0.99 on Amazon, as are the next two books.

Rush

Acolyte
Eve of Snows! Now that I'm done shamelessly plugging my work, I'd say Lord of the Rings. To add a little something, a something which might be considered a tad "wordy", Tad Williams' Dragonbone Chair and the subsequent trilogy.

I enjoyed Feist when younger but honestly, I enjoyed his work with Janny Wurts in Daughter of the Empire better than Magician or oddly enough, any work either of them did solo. Not that I've read everything by either of them.
I haven't picked up Lord of the Rings. I couldn't enjoy the movies back then when I was a kid as i was struggling with learning English. And then my father bought a computer and playstation. Because of the video games, I started to like to learn and master English. But fast forward, i got rusty in English again. So far I only indulged in English with video games. But I recently am sparked with Epic Fantasy. A sidenote, in 2008, I wrote a short fantasy story scenario for a girl I had a crush on. Deswai I want to indulge with epic fantasy. I will check out Eve Snows later ya. Oh, I did stumble upon Lord of the Rings novels but I didn't pick them up, cus of tight budget..

Not exactly a classic, but definitely epic fantasy, but if you are feeling brave, you might try my 'Empire' series. Just released book 5, 'Empire: Spiral.' The first book, 'Empire: Country,' is priced at $0.99 on Amazon, as are the next two books.
What do you mean by feeling brave. Empire series sound like it has a large setting, prolly be so interesting

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I haven't picked up Lord of the Rings. I couldn't enjoy the movies back then when I was a kid as i was struggling with learning English. And then my father bought a computer and playstation. Because of the video games, I started to like to learn and English. But fast forward, i got rusty in English again. So far I only indulged in English with video games. But I recently am sparked with Epic Fantasy. A sidenote, in 2008, I wrote a short fantasy story scenario for a girl I had a crush on. Deswai I want to indulge with epic fantasy. I will check out Eve Snows later ya. Oh, I did stumble upon Lord of the Rings novels but I didn't pick them up, cus of tight budget..

What do you mean by feeling brave. Empire series sound like it has a large setting, prolly be so interesting
Two meanings to 'brave' here - first, I am an indie author - an 'unknown' (with the sales figures to prove it)

Second, 'Empire' is a 'dark fantasy epic' - the characters encounter 'horrors from beyond' with disturbing and sometimes bloody results.

Rush

Acolyte
Two meanings to 'brave' here - first, I am an indie author - an 'unknown' (with the sales figures to prove it)

Second, 'Empire' is a 'dark fantasy epic' - the characters encounter 'horrors from beyond' with disturbing and sometimes bloody results.
Nice! I like the ring to it!
By the way, can I hijack my own thread, I wanna ask...How do I post in Portfolio?

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Nice! I like the ring to it!
By the way, can I hijack my own thread, I wanna ask...How do I post in Portfolio?
First, most epic fantasy tales deal the buildup of or events during 'the Great War against Evil.' 'Empire' is set in the 'ashes of victory' - the 'good guys' (who are not all that good) won, but at a horrific cost, and the Empire is tottering amidst massive social unrest and an incipient industrial revolution. Characters try to forge new lives for themselves in a changing world while coping with wartime trauma. There is plenty of fighting, but the focus is elsewhere.

Second (and I should have remembered this) you need five posts elsewhere before posting in the 'critique' section or opening your Portfolio.