• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Plot vs World Building Genres!

Aha! At long last, I have figured it out! Genre is divided into three categories: Plot, Tone and World-building

For example, Romance is about the plot- what the characters do (specifically, fall in love), meanwhile Science Fiction is about the world- futuristic technology, and all that. Sci-Fi Romance combines Science Fiction worldbuilding with Romance plot. Tone refers to how lighthearted it is

Here are some example of each!

Plot: Romance, Intrigue, Mystery, Action, etc
Worldbuilding: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Dystopian, Boring Fiction [AKA Realistic Fiction], etc
Tone: Horror, Comedy, etc

Eduardo Ficaria

Troubadour
I see what you've done there and... Doesn't look bad, sir. Still, it could be argued that, by classifying something as scifi or dystopian, for instance, you're also setting a certain tone to a story, or that by tagging something as horror can imply certain beats in its plot. So, trying to set clear dividing lines among those tags is always bound to fail, in some regards at least. Personally, I tend to think about those terms just as convenient tags for classification and as hints about what to expect in a story.

I see what you've done there and... Doesn't look bad, sir. Still, it could be argued that, by classifying something as scifi or dystopian, for instance, you're also setting a certain tone to a story, or that by tagging something as horror can imply certain beats in its plot. So, trying to set clear dividing lines among those tags is always bound to fail, in some regards at least. Personally, I tend to think about those terms just as convenient tags for classification and as hints about what to expect in a story.
True, but these are simply guidelines.