1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Podcasts?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Devor, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

I just set up an internet radio in my living room, so now I can listen to podcasts in the morning while I'm watching my youngest son.

Any suggestions?

I'm mostly interested in writing podcasts - anything that will help me brainstorm or motivate me to write. I'm only familiar with one, and there's a couple of more I've seen suggested, but I haven't had a chance to look into them.

But are there any good stories told in Podcast format? I don't mean books-on-tape, which don't work with me. I'm referring to stories told in the style of an old radio program. That might be kind of cool.

Before anyone asks, I searched for Podcasts and didn't see a thread just for recommending them.

I'll start by recommending the one I'm familiar with, the Roundtable Podcast, which is phenomenal. They invite aspiring authors to share their stories at a brainstorming session with a published guest author, who helps give feedback about the story idea. It's developed by someone who's a bit of a friend to Mythic Scribes and is definitely worth looking into. I wouldn't be looking into podcasts if the Roundtable Podcast didn't prove how helpful they can be.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Well, I don't think I know of anything like the old radio shows, other than the old radio shows themselves. I used to listen to some of that stuff at my grandparent's house. Jack Benny, George and Gracie, that kind of thing. I once heard of some radio-play version of Neil Gaiman's Snow, Glass, Apples story, but I've never found it online.

I enjoy some of the stuff on PodCastle. That's mostly the kind of thing you'd find in a fantasy e-zine. There's also the Drabblecast, but that gets a little too far 'out there' for me most times.

As far as writing podcasts, I can't help you. Sorry.

3. T.Allen.Smith

T.Allen.Smith Staff Moderator

Writing Excuses is pretty good at times. It is chaired by Brandon Sanderson and has 3 other authors. This is strictly about craft, it does not offer any actual stories for entertainment.

4. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

I went and had a long look yesterday. Here was a big selection of scifi and fantasy podcasts that seems current.

As far as stories are concerned, all I could find was a few actual old radio shows and audio stories like PodCastle. I tried one or two for a while, only to find that I really wasn't interested.

As far as writing craft, I am pretty impressed with Writing Excuses, which is pretty good, and I found a few others that are more like your typical modern radio show, with a host interviewing guest authors. SFSignal feels like a professional radio program, but it's not very focused on content.

I'm a little underwhelmed with the selection. It seems to me like there's a wide opening in the market for podcasts.

I think I'll just follow the Roundtable Podcast and Writing Excuses. It's probably no coincidence that those are the ones listed in the Mythic Scribes Directory. If I was trapped in a car for long commutes, I do think I would add SFSignal, but there's too much "useless" time in the program for it to be worth it for me now.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013