• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Political Spectrum of the World

Xanadu-King

Acolyte
Hello Mythic Scribes,

So I am brand new on this forum. I was hoping to get some help involving the creation of Languages, and scripts for that matter but that is another subject entirely. Currently I have ten fully developed nations, each with their own political system. Unfortunately I only have six languages. Three of the nations speak one language, which is also the common language across my world. I still need a language that will suite people who wield Dark Magics, and a powerful Sea Fairing nation. Any ideas would be very helpful.

Sincerely,
Xanadu-King

Trick

Auror
Are you saying you have created six full languages or that you have a basic framework and names for six languages? Or something else?

Scribble

Archmage
Without knowing much, I can throw out some intuitions... assuming you won't actually have dialogue in these languages, but rather approximate their mode of speaking in some common tongue, like an immigrant attempting English, using the native idioms of his home country.

Sea-faring people would have a language rich in metaphor describing aspects of water and wind. They would have expressions, figures of speech that would reflect the nature of their nautical heritage. There might be many constructions around the tides, sea swells, the quiet beneath the waves, the swaying of sea-plants, the black water under bright sun, the reflections of light under the waves.

Dark magics... these usually involve rituals, absolutes, turning words to power. Speaking oaths and superstition might be common to the language. There might be many oath-like expressions, or as-above-so-below kind of thinking that might affect how people speak.

Xanadu-King

Acolyte
Are you saying you have created six full languages or that you have a basic framework and names for six languages? Or something else?

Sorry I should have mentioned this, I have six language frameworks created. The way they will be spoken is still, semi, up for alterations. However the basic way in which words will be said and written have been worked out.

Without knowing much, I can throw out some intuitions... assuming you won't actually have dialogue in these languages, but rather approximate their mode of speaking in some common tongue, like an immigrant attempting English, using the native idioms of his home country.

Sea-faring people would have a language rich in metaphor describing aspects of water and wind. They would have expressions, figures of speech that would reflect the nature of their nautical heritage. There might be many constructions around the tides, sea swells, the quiet beneath the waves, the swaying of sea-plants, the black water under bright sun, the reflections of light under the waves.

Dark magics... these usually involve rituals, absolutes, turning words to power. Speaking oaths and superstition might be common to the language. There might be many oath-like expressions, or as-above-so-below kind of thinking that might affect how people speak.

I see, thank you for your input. My idea was that each of these people would be speaking their own tongue for the most part, only switching to the common tongue of Thedrun when they are talking directly to the main characters. Once I have figured out the basic frameworks for each of the languages, I intend to make a script for each one. Although that will be a while.