• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

POV Preferences

So, I've been writing with three main POVs in my current book, but I find that I have a particular bias toward one of them. Not that I hate the other POVs, as I also enjoy writing them, but I don't enjoy them as much as that specific one. I devote longer amounts of chapters in a row to my favorite POV when compared to the other two.

So far, I think this is a pretty natural reaction with POV, but I was wondering if the reader would be able to notice this in a negative light. So for those of you that write various POVs, do you tend to have a MASSIVE preference for one over the others?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

C

Chessie

I typically only have 2 povs in my books. I get bored with one and 3+ is too much work. Does that answer your question? :p

I typically only have 2 povs in my books. I get bored with one and 3+ is too much work. Does that answer your question? :p
Well, I enjoy large amounts of POVs. I just want to know if you tend to enjoy one POV over all others. Not that you hate the others, just whether you have an obvious preference toward one or not.

So, I've been writing with three main POVs in my current book, but I find that I have a particular bias toward one of them. Not that I hate the other POVs, as I also enjoy writing them, but I don't enjoy them as much as that specific one. I devote longer amounts of chapters in a row to my favorite POV when compared to the other two.

So far, I think this is a pretty natural reaction with POV, but I was wondering if the reader would be able to notice this in a negative light. So for those of you that write various POVs, do you tend to have a MASSIVE preference for one over the others?

One of my stories has dual POV's throughout (my two MCs, a girl and her older brother). They're incredibly different, but i like them about equally, i think. It's hard to say because i actually haven't done much from the guy's POV (before recently it was just the girl).

Now when I read...I almost always prefer one POV over the other. Unless i just hate them all (that happened recently) in which case i don't continue reading long.

One of my stories has dual POV's throughout (my two MCs, a girl and her older brother). They're incredibly different, but i like them about equally, i think. It's hard to say because i actually haven't done much from the guy's POV (before recently it was just the girl).

Now when I read...I almost always prefer one POV over the other. Unless i just hate them all (that happened recently) in which case i don't continue reading long.
What were you reading, if I might know? You don't often here of bad books as often as bad films or video games, so I actually want to buy some bad books to see how they went wrong. It's a guilty pleasure of mine. (I don't mean to go off topic, just genuinely curious)

Russ

Istar
I think it is completely natural to enjoy writing some POVs much more than others. Completely.

It might be wise to resist the urge of getting too wrapped up in one POV because you like it, if it does not serve the plot well.

Personally I just go with that old rule for choosing the POV for each scene "Who has the most to lose in this scene?" I rarely vary from it.

C

Chessie

Netardapope, yes. I do enjoy one pov over others, but only slightly more. The good thing about writing more than one though is that it's always nice to have a fresh perspective in the next chapter. :)

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I certainly get wrapped up in one more than others at times, but, I don't have major preferences, except the occasional now POV, which feels fresh. Experiencing that as I start into book 2, where a character first seen in chapter 1 of book 1 (minor character), takes on a POV. I'm fascinated by her story right now, and how it weaves into the rest. But, that's just like a new romance.

Now, POV's where I get ho-hum, those tend to be for a good reason, and they end up getting axed.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
In my first book I had three major and three minor POVs. Yes, some I enjoyed writing more than others. But IMHO if you put the time and effort into making the writing in every POV as good as you can make it, nobody is going to be able to tell.

I think it would be more likely that people could tell when you're half-assing things in your writing.

Just being objective I think where you concentrate your time is ultimately where your story is going to go and being biased to one POV may leave parts of, or opportunities for, storytelling neglected. Right now I'm aware of three or four points of view in my story and I expect it to grow. I don't find it to be too much work, I enjoy the intricacy and really just concentrate on good writing to expose those POV's so I get full enjoyment and maximum storytelling.