• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Prepare for NaNoWriMo

Gryffin

Scribe
How do you intend to prepare for NaNoWriMo? I'm determined to do NaNo this year and could use some advice. I know you aren't allowed to do any writing beforehand but what about research and things like that? What kinds of things do you take care before the month starts to give you more time to write?

Helbrecht

Minstrel
I'm very big on outlining and planning, so I usually spend some of my free time in October doing that. :D I also try and get a good idea of who my characters are, and I try to tailor the plot to make them work (i.e. "what sort of chain of events will best reveal to the reader who this person really is?" and similar such questions) as much as I tailor them to make the plot work (i.e. "what sort of person would be the best to write in this cool sequence of events I have in mind?"). Some measure of world-building is usually handy as well.

More than anything, I make sure I have a strong idea about what I'm going to write before I start writing it.

Last edited:

Chilari

Staff
Right now I think I'll need to get the other story out of my head. I've done a large chunk of planning for what I'm hoping to write for NaNo, mostly worldbuilding and sorting out the characters. The plot remains hazy, so I guess I'll firm that up a bit.

pskelding

Troubadour
I'm mainly working on the scene list now and making sure my characters have clear goals and reactions in each scene. My outline, synopsis and character profiles are all done.

For other training I am using 750words.com to do daily writing but not towards my Nanowrimo story. I am writing character back stories which is helping everything else fall into place. In October I will shift to writing a prequel novella for my main character as a training exercise and to get all warmed up for doing 1500 words a day. I also will be a first time father in October so we'll see how this all works out!

Ophiucha

Auror
I've gotten some necessary worldbuilding - things I need to set the story, really - out of the way, come up with the basic beginning, middle, end, and figured out what I need to start off my characters with (names, motivations, a bit of background, and their basic position in the world, powers, etc.). I tend to half-plan, half-pants for first drafts, so I leave room to let my imagination take the best of my writing for NaNoWriMo, but I give myself a few points I need to hit so I don't just write 50,000 words of people sitting in pubs.

Gryffin

Scribe
Thanks for sharing the ways that you are planning for NaNoWriMo. I have never put enough effort into planning and I think that's where I fail. I think I'm going to start outlining and maybe building character profiles. Maybe it will motivate me to keep going.

Shadoe

Sage
I've got my story planned. I've got all the scenes listed and what's supposed to happen where and when. I just need to be able to sit down every day and write a couple thousand words. Now I just need to have my new work schedule allow me to.

EParadise

Scribe
I am on the fence as to whether or not I want to join in or not. I have been building up my outline for what I hope to turn into a trilogy for the past week. I would hate to put off the writing until november, and hesitant to get moving on it and have to stop and work on something different. I will most likely complete the 50k words in october though, so thinking about seeing where I am a little closer to the date.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I'd love to take part, but I'd really struggle with just letting loose and just getting on with it without worrying about problems, mistakes, and inconsistencies. Besides, my final year of university starts next week, and that's going to devour my time from then on.