• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Prompt: Design some gloomy looking weapons, or discuss.

The reason why I got the idea for weapons made to look gloomy is because, unless they're like weapons merely used for sports or the like, what usually happens, is that they kill people. (Big duh there.) My idea for my world is that it would be consider improper to design something intended to slaughter to look "happy," with bright colors or fancy jewels or the like. Maybe the weapons can still look beautiful, but in a haunting way, similar to how Gothic designs look beautiful in a haunting way.

Looking up "gothic weapon" on Google Images gives some good results, but I'm interested in more than just black and white designs. I think a weapon can look gloomy while still using color. At least, if you know of any dark aesthetics with a name besides "gothic," please tell me.

I have no real art skills, but if I do eventually learn how to make art, your designs could serve as inspiration. Otherwise, you could do this just for fun.

You can also just discuss gloomy designs, if you prefer.

Here are a couple of ideas I got, both involving swords:
A rather sterotypical example, but I came up with the idea of couple of miniature skulls attached to the handle of a sword by strings, like keychains.

A more random idea, since I seen people here mention the Nazis a fair bit, I came up with the idea of a swastika shaped guard on a sword. I seen Nazi swords with swastika emblems, but I don't think the Nazis quite adopted my idea, as far as I know.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
The trouble with the Swastika is that for many, you see Swastika you go straight to Nazis [Do not pass go, do not collect £200]. I have to remember that for a lot of the world the Swastika is a sign of peace and good luck. I live near a house that has dozens of them flying from little flags across their garden [they are Buddhist].
I walked through some Catacombs recently... the sight of millions of bones was gloomy enough for a while. They were[not skeletons but sorted in to types; femurs, skulls, jawbones... It was a sight to see.

The trouble with the Swastika is that for many, you see Swastika you go straight to Nazis [Do not pass go, do not collect £200]. I have to remember that for a lot of the world the Swastika is a sign of peace and good luck. I live near a house that has dozens of them flying from little flags across their garden [they are Buddhist].

My apologies, I actually knew that. Maybe I should have referred to it as the "Hakenkreuz."