• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Proto-Italic dictionary

Aldarion

Archmage
In my world, "protagonist" country is essentially a cross of Western Roman Empire, Eastern Roman Empire and Holy Roman Empire, so the primary language is Latin. However, I want to make up my own place names, and for that I need a proto-Italic dictionary, as it will form the basis for most names. Does anyone know a good one?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
You mean like this?
Latin Place Names | An RBMS Resource
What you want is not a dictionary but a gazetteer. A search on "catalog of european place names" turned up the above, plus many others.

As I used to tell my students: seek, and ye shall find; ask, and ye shall be pointed to the library.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
A dictionary is a list of definitions. A gazetteer gives place names along with variant forms, which seemed like the best place to find inspiration for making up one's own terms that were linguistically consistent. You could always supplement that with some reading in the relevant linguistics texts. Here, for example Proto-Italic language - Wikipedia
That was found by searching on "proto-italic"

TheKillerBs

Maester
You could use the index diachronica to use Latin and revert the sound changes. I expect people would call the names using Latin pronunciations though, like how lots of place names in Europe have Latin roots but have diverged. You'll also want Celtic or Germanic roots for some of them.

Aldarion

Archmage
You could use the index diachronica to use Latin and revert the sound changes. I expect people would call the names using Latin pronunciations though, like how lots of place names in Europe have Latin roots but have diverged. You'll also want Celtic or Germanic roots for some of them.

In the end, I had decided to use Latin and Welsh for basis, and then modify them. These are two examples:
Blue Ford – Caeruleum Vadum – Caeruledum
Mouth of River Slaughter – Mouth of Alanastra – Ceg Alanastra – Ceganastra

Insolent Lad

Maester
I used not proto-Italic but Etruscan for something of this sort. The known word pool is rather small, but a number of them made their way into Latin.

Aldarion

Archmage
Insolent Lad Problem is that Etruscan has no connecton to Latin that I am aware of, so it would only be useful for a separate group of people, not for ancestors of the group using Latin.