• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Publishing Scams

Very interesting, and very informative.

I'm not surprised that this sort of thing happens though - you get the exact same thing in the Art world. There are scam galleries that expect you to pay to be exhibited (and some that don't even exist yet still con artists out of money). I don't know about the writing world, but in the 'serious' art circles not only do you lose money, but you lose all credibility as an artist. No decent gallery or art agent will touch you with a bargepole if you have these scam galleries on your CV!

Doesn't matter what field you are in the money should only flow towards the creator not the other way (unless you are doing charity work).

i find the article interesting because i have potential publisher that making me pay everything but in the end i get 100% profits i only pay for services and distribution printing separate cost but it offset . they also getting me into book fairs and if i get a bigger publisher interested in me then they won't hold my manuscript at random

i find the article interesting because i have potential publisher that making me pay everything but in the end i get 100% profits i only pay for services and distribution printing separate cost but it offset . they also getting me into book fairs and if i get a bigger publisher interested in me then they won't hold my manuscript at random

Really who is that might I ask?

boboratory

Minstrel
As a Publisher, this made me cringe a little, just so you know...

It's a very simple question, if you pay for everything up front, and the Publisher doesn't have their money tied at all (think about that for a minute) to the performance of the book, what's their incentive to actually do anything? Even if they are at book faires, what's their motivation to engage the attendees and talk about your book? Not knowing who it is, I won't pass judgement, but the job of the publisher is to publish and sell books, that's how they should earn a living, off the writing, not the writer.

Sorry but that sounds like a scam to me

zizban

Troubadour
As a Publisher, this made me cringe a little, just so you know...

It's a very simple question, if you pay for everything up front, and the Publisher doesn't have their money tied at all (think about that for a minute) to the performance of the book, what's their incentive to actually do anything? Even if they are at book faires, what's their motivation to engage the attendees and talk about your book? Not knowing who it is, I won't pass judgement, but the job of the publisher is to publish and sell books, that's how they should earn a living, off the writing, not the writer.

Amen brother.

will let you guys know true it does sound like one but it seems legit to me after looking into the folk involved so far it seems legit even though it small company

actually first thing i did as well meeting the individual that head of company trindie i know at least two of the authors that signed with them plus they told if i am not happy with the printing price i could (my family owns a small printing press company) if my family insist do through ours and save on that

Last edited:

zizban

Troubadour
Whether Trindle is good or bad (Man, their website has more red flags than Nascar) is not as unimportant as this: did shop your book to anyone else? Did you start at the top and work your way down? If you didn't, you are selling yourself short. You put time and effort into your work, don't you deserve to be paid for your work?