• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Question about betrayals

Loremongre

Dreamer
Hello, people passing by.
So, I have a problem with an important event that changed my world, Sal'taron.

In the remote past of Sal'taron, after a ruinous war against their creators, a race of primordial humanoids (the Haynolan) with great control over magic reigned happily over their island, in peace with both Elves and Dragons.
Their ruler, named Valer Naham, was proud of his 4 children, each of them with great powers: however, only one was destinated to rule the 3 races, Aren, his second born (the Firstborn, Febar, decided to never take the role of ruler due to his power as Seer, fearing that one day he may've committed errors too great to be forgotten).

For years, the Young Haynolan was rised between love and care, his Brothers watched over him and his father was trustful that one day his Kingdom would've expanded over the sea, to the nearby land of Windernonth, but one day Febar had a terrible vision: Not only the island and great part of the population would've perished, but to lead the genocide was Aren himself, mutated into an abomination "of flesh and steel". Valer decided to try and see if that future could be evaded, but unfortunalety Aren sealed a path with an ancient enemy, mostly due to a fear the Haynolan never had: Death (Haynolan's souls are connected to magic itself, so the body perish but the consciousness persist), and not even the words of his Brothers worked, and on the other hand Aren managed to convince his sister that his own dream had to become a reality.

Aren then worked to "perfection" his own mortality, and after experimenting on both elves and dragons, he then decided to substitute parts of his body, starting from an arm.
The view his father and Brothers had was… dreadfuly gruesome, to say the least, and that was just the beginning: first an arm, then the legs, lungs, spine and so on till he became a being of flesh and steel.

One night, Febar spoke with his father, and feared for his new visions, none good, all worse then the one before: the less that remained of Aren, the more violent his uprising was, and time was running out, so he thought that killing his brother was a better option than sacrificing the inhabitants of the island, but Valer was scared of this (Aren had little to no connection with the magical flux of Sal'taron now, and killing him would've resulted into something worse than physical death).
And so, the Tragedy of El'meimirel happened: those that opposed Aren Naham's forces (made by magical automatons and enchanted cyborgs/slaves) perished under his new found might, and to worse the situation even his sister Mera and Martus joined him, fooled by his words and blinded by his grace.

In the last stand, the Whole family met in the throne room, and fought a desperate battle: thanks to his magical abilities, Febar managed to defeat Mera and Martus, even if the latter surrended for not harming his beloved brother (Mera, instead, was compleately convinced of her brother's actions), while Valer and Aren demonstrated their own magical powers and combat abilities, even if Aren was actually "geared up", and could do actions that his normal body couldn't, but Valer managed to disarm him.
The father could've easely ended that battle, but his love decived him, and tried one last time to convince his son to surrender and let the survivors live, but without mercy, Aren impailed his father with his own weapon, letting him to die while his madness culminated into a great smile onto his deformed face.

The last words of Valer were: << I pity you… for we will never be able to see you again one day… my child.>>

And now, with his father dead, the island in ruin and the inhabitants scatered on the ocean and the mainland, Aren decided to grant his Brothers the possibility to become even more powerful, by absorbing the magic of the island (thus consuming the vast majority of the Haynolan souls and letting behind only shadows) or be merciful killed. None opted for the last options, not even Febar, even if for a plan of his own.

And then, the glorious island was forgotten, and their inhabitants with her.
And the four "Divines" moved to different places of the world, creatingtheir own realms and kingdoms, while been revered as true gods by mortals, slowly forgotting their actions.

So, this is what lead to the Birth of the four main Divines, but I see this is less then finished: is a draft, a rasume with holes everywhere, but I can't find a way to describe how Aren was decived by the "ancient enemies" of his own kind.
Yeah, they spoke to him and used logic against facts, brainwashing him, but this is… too simple ? I dunno.
Maybe I've formulated the question wrong...

Riva

Minstrel
Maybe defining the nature of the "ancient enemies" could help to shed some light onto the dynamics of the deception.
And I didn't get why Aren, unlike the rest of his kin, feared death (since they don't completely die, do they?).

Loremongre

Dreamer
Maybe defining the nature of the "ancient enemies" could help to shed some light onto the dynamics of the deception.
And I didn't get why Aren, unlike the rest of his kin, feared death (since they don't completely die, do they?).

Exactly. Is like Magic function as a new source of life, unlimited and eternal, since it flow in the world and isn't bound to a single person.
But you got a point, I should describe the "ancient enemies", my bad.

So… it's complicated to describe how they arrived on Sal'taron, but the story is this, more or less: At the very end of time, in the last breath of time, the remaining descendants of humans (yes, humans, not elves or what) were at the brink of extintion, but a scientist, Soht, found a way to "break the chain of continuum" by using a black hole so massive that the barrier of space fractured and time collapsed.

TL: DR Humans descendants managed to use a black hole to break through time and space, arriving at the very beginning of the universe, when words were Young and started colonizing a world, but their creations backfired and Soht let his fellow Brothers to rot for enslaving the Haynolan, creating and letting to die the Elves and exterminate a Whole race now forgotten, the Al'daer
(the first life forms of the world, born from magic).

Now, big jump after the war between the Ancestors (the human descendants) and the Haynolan, Soht, Elves, Dragons and Al'daer : Aren was exploring a bit the island, and found a strange structure similar to a giant ring, and activated it by accident.
Big surprise: it was a teleporter.
Now, the Ancestors decided to substitute their mortal bodies with machines, becoming androids, but after exterminating the Al'daer Valer Naham hunted the leaders of their creators one by one, ending with imprison them into cryogenic chambers, ethernal coffins for everconscoius beings (to make a parallel with a videogame that have nothing to do with but is a perfect example, see Bradberton form Fallout 4).

Aren was Young, and the Ancestors used this to their advantage (ie brainwashed him to belive that Haynolan were as mortal as anyone else, and the stories about immortality of the soul were mere stories made up by his father, lies to subdue him), and showed him a way to become "better, stronger and truly immortal". This started a path down hill, that culminated in the Death of his father and all the stuff he did.