• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Question about spells used in fiction

MiaC

Troubadour
I'm wondering if I could simply use latin words for spells. Say if I want the spell to create fire, I'll use the Latin word for fire? I notice in like TVD, Harry Potter, there's are made up words. So Idk.

LCatala

Minstrel
There's nothing saying you can't do that. It has been done a million times, and will seem like a boring cliché to many readers. But if you want to do it, there's no rule fordibbing you to.

Queshire

Auror
In the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher the main character uses latin for his magic, however in that setting it's not that latin itself is magical. In that setting wizards are encouraged to either use nonsense words or words in a language they're not fluent in to reduce the risk of accidental casting just because they're like, angry or something and happen to say "fire" while their emotions are heated. Alas, for Harry Dreseden it turns out that the local wizard association uses latin as its language of choice.

The Harry Potter spells are Latin, actually. And not just so they won't be said accidentally. If Hogwarts was founded in the Middle Ages, and intended from the start to serve students from all over Britain (which wasn't a unified country at the time; Scotland and Wales were separate nations from England), Latin would have been their language in common. English as we know it didn't exist quite yet. In England after 1066, the upper classes mainly spoke Norman French, while the language of the commoners was, though we might consider it English, actually much more similar to Flemish or Dutch. In Scotland and Wales, the people spoke Scotch Gaelic and Welsh, respectively.

Latin was the international language of Europe at the time. It was used in schools, the church, and among diplomats. That was how people communicated with those whose native languages and dialects were vastly different from their own. It served a similar function to English in modern India.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Only some of Harry Potter's spells are in Latin. Some come from other European languages, and others are bastardizations of such words. Avada Kedavra for example is Aramaic for "Let the thing be destroyed."

Latin is a dead language, with straightforward words, that translates easily into other languages without changing a lot of meaning. It's good for keeping things plain when people who speak different languages are approaching the subject. That's why it's used by scientists, and why it's used by the Catholic Church. And honestly, the use of Latin for spells is rooted in the Protestant Reformation, as a way to make Catholics look like evil witches.

WooHooMan

Auror
It doesn’t really matter what language you use as long as the meaning is conveyed. It just depends on the mood you’re going for. You want the spells to seem ancient and mystical, use Latin. Want it to be blunt and straightforward, use English. Want something more exotic, why not Arabic?

I’ve generally been getting into English rhymes and wordplay for spells to convey that there’s an “artistry” to casting magic. Since that’s the mood I’m shooting for.

Chasejxyz

Inkling
I think we're missing an important point here. If the world is set in/based on our world (like Harry Potter), then using Latin or some other real language would make sense. But if the world is totally separate from our own (like World of Warcraft), then using straight-up Latin wouldn't make all that much sense.

Using Latin (or any other real language) in your fictional setting can add "flavor" or tone/aesthetic. Warhammer 40K is set in the far future but also harkens to the past, so they use bastardized versions of Latin for formal names of things (like the Cult Mechanicus). A world of space marines and giant gothic cathedrals would be a fitting setting for Latin. Wouldn't make a lot of sense for a world like Avatar, which is based on older East Asian cultures (or Avatar, with blue cat aliens). I use ancient Greek/Latin for formal species names with some tweaking to make things sound right, which is what we mostly do in reality. Of course, we mix roots/sources all the time, like dinosaurs that end in -saurus (ancient Greek) and named after the place it's found, which might be from an indigenous language. But it sounds right, which is the most important thing. Don't be afraid to mix and match to get the tone you're going for.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I'm wondering if I could simply use latin words for spells. Say if I want the spell to create fire, I'll use the Latin word for fire? I notice in like TVD, Harry Potter, there's are made up words. So Idk.

One of the things that put me off HP from the get-go was the ham-handed and almost childish appropriation of Latin. Every time I encountered it, it was like hearing a wrong note in a song. Jarring. It happened so often, I abandoned it partway through the first book. I was fine with the movies, where I'm often more tolerant. I recognize this is probably not a common reaction.

Of course you could use Latin words for spells, but I would remove the word "simply" from your sentence. It won't be simple. And the more faithful you try to be, the more errors will stick out. Rowling was smart to keep her pseudo-Latin to one or two words per spell. The more you try to construct a sentence, the more fraught will be the effort (unless, of course, you are fluent in the language).

Let's take that create fire spell. If you just use ignis, that's a noun. Does it mean create fire or destroy fire? Big fire or little? Location? Color? And so on. It can get complicated quickly. You might consider grabbing the stick from the other end. Write your story. Discover if you need to have the spell in the actual text at all. Then decide if you need to use another language at all. Then decide which language.