• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Quick Inspiration for NaNoWriMo

Gryffin

Scribe
How do you plan to get quick inspiration during NaNoWriMo?

I have a friend who decided to try it this year too and we have decided to make a set of note cards with words, places, names, or objects them. We will trade note cards and each have a deck of cards if we need some quick ideas. It works for me because I'm bad with outlines and planning too far ahead. Sometimes one word or phrase can be good to get a totally new mindset or concept.

Wouldn't you just end up with a mess at the end of that, instead of a story? Or let me rephrase - if *I* did that, I think all I'd end up with is 50,000 words of absolute drivel. ;)

I've had one NaNo Novel published, and it's selling decently. It has nothing but five star reviews (so far - no illusions that will last forever!). I have another that needs some revision before shipping out into the world - put it off while working on other stuff. But my focus with NaNo, while I try to experiment, is to kick out some publishable words during the month. So I come into it with a decent idea where the story starts, and at least some idea where it is going... I don't think random elements would improve my storytelling, but maybe that's just me...

Kelise

Maester
I think what they mean is a stack of ideas - they don't have to use what it says on the next card if it really doesn't fit. It's a stack of words, places, etc they can flip through until something sparks a new idea they can use.

So I don't think it would be much of a mess.