1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Quick Start Rules

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Here is a link to the PDF Legendary Sidekick posted:

http://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/tlg2010quickstartpdf.pdf

There is a good overview of the rules provided. There is also a pretty good list of starting equipment, so please buy your starting items off that list. Note that helms only affect AC for attacks directed at the head, not overall AC. The list is condensed from what is in the rule book, so if you're looking for something not on the list, ask me.

One big variation to the rules is the magic system, which I will post about in another thread. Also, to the extent anything in the PDF contradicts rules set forth here in the forums, the rules set forth here trump what is in the PDF or the other rule books.

2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Here's the equipment page, in case the PDF loading time is more than you can bear.

(Click image to zoom in.)
    [​IMG]

3. Steerpike

You guys may want to look at the section called Attributes and the Game, on page 15 of the PDF. That details the SIEGE engine, which is a system I hope players will make use of to try some interesting things!

4. Legendary Sidekick

Let me see if I've got this straight...

So, in that example (on p.15) of Bjorn the Fighter pushing the statue onto the monster...

If Bjorn were a level 7 fighter with an 18 in STR,
    and the CC decided that pushing the statue is of "moderate" (Lv.6) difficulty...

Base 12 + challenge level 6 = 18 needed for success,
    Bjorn's level 7 + STR modifier +3 = +10...

...meaning Bjorn needs an 18 or better to successfully push the statue,
    but because he adds 10 to his roll, the d20 roll would need to be any number from 8-20 for an 18 or better;
    therefore, Bjorn has a 65% chance of successfully toppling the stature.

My level 1 barbarian would have a chance at pulling off this stunt as well, but her odds are only 35%.
    (STR mod = +3, level = 1; therefore, add 4 to d20 roll; therefore, I need a 14+ to get 18+.)

5. Steerpike

You've got it. And in your example, someone with STR as a non-prime attribute would need a 24 or better to pull it off. You can use this approach to try to replicate certain feats from D&D 3.X, or take entirely novel actions.

In one game I ran, a level 1 character used a SIEGE check to attempt to run at a group of enemies, dive onto his shield like it was a sled, slide through the enemies and pop up to fight on the other end. Of course, he was level 1 so needless to say it didn't end well. But I liked his thinking! :D

6. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Looking at the equipment page again (since I don't think I ever decided on what type of bow Cadell uses -- oopsie)... a shortbow is just a regular-sized bow, right, as opposed to a longbow? And what does "comp." mean?

7. Steerpike

"Comp." indicates a composite bow. You'll get a better range increment with one, though they are also more expensive.

8. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Aah, gotcha. Okay, I'll go with a composite shortbow then. ^^ I dunno if Cadell is strong enough for a longbow at this point.

9. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Probably need to keep this one with the rest of the rules since it has the equipment.
    It was getting low on the list so I posted to moove it back up.

10. Steerpike

Good point, SeverinR. I made it sticky.

11. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

On a hunch, I went to a local comic book/game store (known for its extensive inventory of tabletop gaming resources) and walked out with a hardcover copy of the C&C Players Handbook. Good stuff. I'm having a lot of fun looking through it. It'll be awhile before I get through it, but I can already say I recommend reading it.

12. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I managed to steal a copy from a friend. >3

13. Legendary Sidekick

How much info on character classes is there? Does it have a full spell list for magic users, or do only GMs see the high-level spells?

14. Steerpike

The player's handbook has everything in it - all the spells, etc. Although there are spells in my world that aren't in the official game, and you guys will come across those as well.

15. Steerpike

Custom spell, for example, Grymdahl's Third Notion. I won't tell you what the spell does (no spoilers), but legend has it that Grymdahl's first two notions didn't go well for him or his assistants. The Third Notion is rumored to be much safer.

16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

That sounds fascinating. :D

17. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Hahaha, awesome!

Yeah, it has a spell list with full descriptions. I've abstained from reading everything, focusing only on my class, and for now, only one the ones I would pick.

18. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

What Steerpike said. Of particular interest to me so far has been the spell descriptions, the slightly more extensive equipment list, and the final section 'The Castle Keeper & the Game.' It strikes me that you could, perhaps, run the whole game out of just this one book. A DM guide would be nice, but if you're creative enough to come up with your own monsters and loot then you really don't need it.

19. Ravana

Ravana Istar

You certainly can if you've also been playing D&D for more than three decades. ;)

20. Steerpike

Yeah it's designed to be complete. You can get monsters online, like with the Hypertext SRD site. Those are D&D 3e monsters, but work fine.