• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Quick titles check

Mectojic

Minstrel
I'm writing the prologue in my book from a character perspective, in a way that the character is kind of talking to the audience. This it the only time I do this ever, and it is in the style that the character is giving a speech to the audience.

In the speech, I include the name of this person: "Kudavu III Gient."
Is it better to write "Kudavu the Third Gient", "Kudavu the third Gient," or "Kudavu the 3rd Gient"???
I am not sure which of these is the most correct... but I certainly want to state the first and last name of him, as well as confirming he is the 3rd one.

Thanks!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
To me it seems a bit odd to have a numeral in the middle of the the name.
I'm not 100% sure if it is "Kudavu III" [the 3rd of that name] and they are "Gient" as well,
or they are "Kudavu" and "III Gient" [like they were a 3rd level Mage or something...]
If "Gient" is a Title then I'd have it at the front "Gient Kudavu III"
If it was a role/position then "Kudavu III, Gient". Is how I would write them.
You say "Gient" is a Family name then "Kudavu Gient III" seems most applicable. Or just "Kudavu III" as the "Gient" bit would be taken as understood.
As for writing it out I'd go for "Kudavu III" and let the reader make it "Kudavu the 3rd [of that name]" in their heads...
Unless it was a speech someone was giving where they may want to stress the words differently...
"Kudavu, THE THIRD GIENT" the guard shouted across the busy room...
"Kudavu THE third" the Guard sneered as he huddled against the wall in the freezing rain...

III is a roman numeral - so it implies a roman culture was here first - it would bother me intensely and keep gnawing at me - so I prefer either of the last 2 . "Kudavu the third Gient," or "Kudavu the 3rd Gient" (Capitalisng Third is just wrong I think.

But ... I know I can be rather pedantic at times over the use of anachronisms or cultural references that I feel shouldn't be there.