• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Reading

First: Who's read The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann?

Second: who has read The Unwanteds: Quests also by Lisa McMann?

I live and breathed with Alex in the original series... but quest is about his younger sisters and I'm killing myself trying to read it:/ it's so hard to explain how I'm feeling...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have!

But...I kinda hated it. It was like okayish-to-bad for me. I felt that the world building was awful. And...I don't know, I don't even remember much about it. Was a long time ago. I was like 12.

I didn't read the second book, or any of the subsequent ones. Did they ever expand upon the idea of how artistic expression is dangerous to oppressors? Because that's a fascinating concept but I don't remember the author expanding upon it much and it really disappointed me.

I remember liking the concept of the living cheetah statue though. Cuz I like cheetahs.

It's not that it was a Middle Grade novel either. I've absolutely loved many books written for that audience. They tend to be stories filled with pure wonder and undisturbed by the malignant romance subplots YA is full of and I don't know...They just appeal to my inner imaginative kid.

This one didn't work for me, though, even as a twelve-year-old.

It's not that it was a Middle Grade novel either. I've absolutely loved many books written for that audience. They tend to be stories filled with pure wonder and undisturbed by the malignant romance subplots YA is full of and I don't know...They just appeal to my inner imaginative kid.

This one didn't work for me, though, even as a twelve-year-old.

They did. It ends up expanding quite a bit. The worldbuilding is awful on purpose though. At the beginning. The premise behind the series is quite a magnificent world [emoji289]

Basically there are seven islands and Quill/Artime is the center island. The whole world exists in the Dragon's triangle, a triangle similar to the Bermuda Triangle off the coast of Japan where a lot of Dragon myths surround it. The first book isn't that great at worldbuilding, and the worldbuilding doesn't expand till the subsequent books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk