• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Realized my two main POV's are basically mirror images of each other. Bad?

jasperjheart

Dreamer
I'm writing a YA Fantasy manuscript about two brothers separated by a 1000 miles and its been five years since they've seen each other. And while reading through my first act, I've realized that my plots are almost mirror images.

This happened almost unintentionally. I sort of wanted the first chapters to mirror each other, in a way.
But the rest is completely accidental.

• Both main characters get beat up in their own first chapters, albeit in different ways.
  • Their beginnings (first act) both take place in an Inn/Tavern. One works at one. The other is renting a room longtime.
  • They are both thieves (one's a street thief doing it out of necessity and the other one is a bandit type, paid by the job type)
  • They both are planning a heist for the same thing. Unbeknownst to either knowing the other one is doing it. (One stole the key from a Lord and the other one falls into a group of hasbeens looking for their final score)
  • Both have love interest (though I feel like this part isn't uncommon)

Do you think this is a premise that could feasibly work? Or is it just terrible storytelling, on my end?

Last edited:

Russ

Istar
If the characters are really interesting I think it will fly. If not it might feel abit contrived with so many parallels plus the coincidence of them planning to go after the same item.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
The only thing that would make it bad is writing it poorly. Many classic character duos are foils of one another. Kirk and Spock. Emotion and Logic. Superman and Lex Luthor. Physical strength and Intellect.

Just worry about telling your story well. The other stuff IMHO will take care of itself.