• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

"Realm of Mutual Struggle" - My Introductory World to the Community

PROLOGUE

Greetings! Mythic Scribes community. Tangle Shine's here. As one of the freshmen (additionally this is my first thread), world-building fascinates me the most in terms of prowess of creation in many distinct ways.

Most people love to have their own gorgeous imaginary world they spiritually deserved, mine either. One who wishes to tell their own story to the others might consider to start setting up the world the characters need to fit in. A radiant, lively, realistic, brilliant and breathing world does influence the outcome of the story you told as well. It is basically a collaborator with your pertinent characters as a reminder for the world-builders out here.

Being exposed within the Asian sphere of culture (yes, I am one of them), world-building has never been so fresh. Among the pioneers of Eastern fantasy and as a hobbyist, sometimes I found myself getting deeper into this kind of stuff without fully realizing it. A consort of imagination, an occultist of my own vast mind, a method of expression, an assumption of availability.

In order to give myself at least feasible recognition in this community, as well as fulfilling myself to be a world-builder, hereby I present myself with my own work of the constructed world developed since 5 years ago. A testament of my own thoughts, brainstorming seems to be a compulsory daily routine; a nature of my brainstorming habits, written notes seem to be a series of never-ending challenges ahead of time; a struggle of coping commencing writing obstacles, expression seems to be a need for dealing with this reality...

A REALM OF MUTUAL STRUGGLE

Sau ig Mohaert (Saw-ic-Mow-hard), or simply Mohaert (Mow-hard), literally means "Realm of Mutual Struggle" in my own constructed language dedicated for my world and the characters (will further elaborate in future posts). As a constant learning believer and researcher in cosmological dualism (a theological concept regarding the existence of two beings driving the cosmos) myself, I presume that the universe (perhaps even multiverse, or ultimately omniverse) is made up of two collaborating entities known as the Wan, the being of Stasis; and the Gesh, the being of Change. It is more like a Ying-Yang concept, technically (reminds me of The Elder Scrolls lore, well, I am inspired by its brilliance in expressing this).

Mohaert is heavily based on this theory. The term "mutual struggle" seems apt to describe it. Conclusively, this introductory thread can be considered to be a good start for my forum posting activities from now on. In the future, I will do my best to publish more related threads regarding to my constructed world, the estimated sequences will be as shown below:

1. Creation Myths.
2. Theological Canons.
3. Languages.
4. World Map.
5. Historical Eras, Periods and "Times".
6. Belief Systems and Religions.
7. Mythology.
8. Inhabitants and their Cultures.
9. Characters and Story Line.
10. [Ongoing]

Feed-backs are highly welcomed and please do provide constructive advice. Mythic Scribes is indeed a good platform for expressing your own world. That's all folks! :D

Futhark

Inkling
Hi there. I am a traveller recently from Skyrim, and I too love world building. As a child I was fascinated by ancient history and now, with 40 sneaking up on me, I have learned a great deal from history as to the why and how things have become the way they are. I feel this is a very important part of world building, having an invented past that explains how cultures have shaped each other, how ideas have travelled, and the impact this has had on the societies. Wars, politics and natural disasters also form fundamental pillars, not only in the shape of the current culture/society, but also in the myths and legends that form an identity for the people.
In my world, which I have yet to name, there are no cosmic forces battling, or beings invested in the fate of the human race. The gods and demons were all once men, and can all trace their magical heritage back to a single cosmic incident. However, this does not mean that they don't believe in a higher power, as they are largely unaware of this event (something I have to keep reminding myself when my characters are acting too logically).
Anyway, I love the ying-yang thing, and look forward to reading more of your posts.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Glad to see your dualism is not the old Good vs Evil. Stasis and Change (note I said "and" rather than "versus") sets up nicely. Tension is there, but without a conflict that requires resolution.

WooHooMan

Auror
Elder Scrolls lore? I assume you're talking about Anu/Anuiel/Akatosh and Padomay/Sithis/Lorkhan.

That's kind of strange as those two forces are mostly depicted as being opposed to one another (except in Redguard mythology). In fact, the forces of stasis and change tend to oppose each other in media whether that media be inspired by Zoroastrianism or Gnosticism.

Also interesting that you choose to depict the yin-yang allegory as beings when, as far as I know, there are no such beings in Chinese mythology save for dragons and fenghuang.

I guess this strikes me because I've been pondering on my own ways of playing with the "cosmic struggle" convention in worldbuilding. Changing the struggle to a collaboration is a nice twist. Not terribly interesting though since it is conflict that makes a story.

Also, welcome to Mythic Scribes, I guess.

Glad to see your dualism is not the old Good vs Evil. Stasis and Change (note I said "and" rather than "versus") sets up nicely. Tension is there, but without a conflict that requires resolution.

"A tension without a conflict which requires necessity for resolution," what a great conclusive statement you have here. Thanks!

Elder Scrolls lore? I assume you're talking about Anu/Anuiel/Akatosh and Padomay/Sithis/Lorkhan.

That's kind of strange as those two forces are mostly depicted as being opposed to one another (except in Redguard mythology). In fact, the forces of stasis and change tend to oppose each other in media whether that media be inspired by Zoroastrianism or Gnosticism.

Also interesting that you choose to depict the yin-yang allegory as beings when, as far as I know, there are no such beings in Chinese mythology save for dragons and fenghuang.

I guess this strikes me because I've been pondering on my own ways of playing with the "cosmic struggle" convention in worldbuilding. Changing the struggle to a collaboration is a nice twist. Not terribly interesting though since it is conflict that makes a story.

Also, welcome to Mythic Scribes, I guess.

The reason of the planet's inhabitants naming their own homeland "The Realm of Mutual Struggle" instead of "The Realm of Mutual Collaboration" (Mohaert instead of Mohekley) is because they do not actually fully understand the fundamental driving forces that dictate the overall cosmos of the Mohaertic Major (you can think of it as our own Solar System).

The contradicting aspects, the nature of sentient species (commonly humankind) is always dealing with, for several instances, truth and lie; acceptance and ignorance; curiosity and normality; majority and minority and so on so forth.

These cause an undeniable phenomenal shift and periodical change in ideologies, stances as well as outputs of the occurring events among the sentience. Naturally, they themselves are in fact a representation of the driving forces for their own Major without even realizing it; a series of contradictions without limiting ceiling, an unwanted requirements for the world to carry on; "collaboration" simply cannot fit into their fundamental mindsets of the sentient selves, hence "struggle" is the best term to wrap up their own understanding of the concept of the universe I have been developing. As a matter of fact, 'collaboration and struggling' are also one of the dualistic aspects as well, fundamentally.

Anyway, appreciated once more for your constructive reply. Thanks! :3

Last edited:
Hi there. I am a traveller recently from Skyrim, and I too love world building. As a child I was fascinated by ancient history and now, with 40 sneaking up on me, I have learned a great deal from history as to the why and how things have become the way they are. I feel this is a very important part of world building, having an invented past that explains how cultures have shaped each other, how ideas have travelled, and the impact this has had on the societies. Wars, politics and natural disasters also form fundamental pillars, not only in the shape of the current culture/society, but also in the myths and legends that form an identity for the people.
In my world, which I have yet to name, there are no cosmic forces battling, or beings invested in the fate of the human race. The gods and demons were all once men, and can all trace their magical heritage back to a single cosmic incident. However, this does not mean that they don't believe in a higher power, as they are largely unaware of this event (something I have to keep reminding myself when my characters are acting too logically).
Anyway, I love the ying-yang thing, and look forward to reading more of your posts.

This is the so-called "opinions by the fictional characters" phenomena. Loved to get a deeper digging into this creative aspect of storytelling. By the way, appreciated once more for your sincere reply, Futhark the Traveller. May the knees be free from approaching arrows.

Creed

Sage
Welcome, Tangle Shine!

I'm always interested in cosmological dualities in fantasy, to see how writers try to make something new and interesting with a concept that's so prolific (in more than one way).
The arching interaction of my WIP series is the familiar Order and Chaos duo, but in hopes of subverting the expectations surrounding both, a similar "stasis/control" and "change/movement" label is applied. Neither is good, neither is evil. The Universe can't exist with either, only with both, and with their interactions (the example a few characters will discover is gravity, the offspring of Chaotic movement and Orderly control). All of the Laws and Natures of the universe are formed by the mediating consciousnesses of Order and Chaos.

The plot gets out of hand when one of the fundaments is presented with an avatar into the physical world. ;)

I look forward to reading about your world! Again, welcome aboard!

Welcome, Tangle Shine!

I'm always interested in cosmological dualities in fantasy, to see how writers try to make something new and interesting with a concept that's so prolific (in more than one way).
The arching interaction of my WIP series is the familiar Order and Chaos duo, but in hopes of subverting the expectations surrounding both, a similar "stasis/control" and "change/movement" label is applied. Neither is good, neither is evil. The Universe can't exist with either, only with both, and with their interactions (the example a few characters will discover is gravity, the offspring of Chaotic movement and Orderly control). All of the Laws and Natures of the universe are formed by the mediating consciousnesses of Order and Chaos.

The plot gets out of hand when one of the fundaments is presented with an avatar into the physical world. ;)

I look forward to reading about your world! Again, welcome aboard!

Based on the story I have been working on, the world/universe we have lived in is said to be a product caused by the frictional reaction between these collaborating entities, Wan and Gesh. Anyways, thanks for the feed-back. I am always thinking about inserting the story title "Mutual Struggle" but also considering of other suitable alternatives as well. Well, a 'mutual struggle' indeed...