• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Revise, Revise, Revise

Waltershores

Dreamer
I find that I am my biggest critic when it comes to my writing. I ask others to evaluate my stories and they all say that it's great, they like it, etc. Even with all that praise I still find I am never satisfied with what I type up and I am constantly changing chapters, descriptions, and other aspects within the stories. I wondered if others in the community have this problem and if so do any of you have any tips for accepting your own writing as "worthy" for submission? When is too much revision TOO MUCH revision? Thanks.

At some point you have to be satisfied with your piece and ready to present it to the world; at some point, too much is too much. Who are your 'others'? I'd avoid good friends who aren't productive and family members...if possible. I was lucky to find some good people to review my material before I submitted to my publisher and editor. Was was an exceptionally well-read co-worker, another a like-minded writer. Their feedback was invaluable.

For my published novel, I basically went like this: Write - edit content - edit content - copy edit - copy edit - have others edit -content edit with their suggestions - copy edit with their suggestions - ship it off.

You can only do so much. There will always be exceptions - times when you have to go change this or that, but I think the above formula is a good starting place. And - you'll find that your second personal copy edis and then the final copy edits are things that go fairly quickly.

CicadaGrrl

Troubadour
For me, ending the process of editing is a pretty easy line to draw in the sand: I absolutely hate the book and everything about it so much because I spend my life on it, so I decide it is officially done. Sounds like you need some more observant readers.