• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Rewriting My Magic System

Wanara009

Troubadour
Well, some of people here will remember this little post I made a while back. Well, a while after that, there are some circumstances that made me stop writing at all. When I get back to it, I found the concept rather unpalatable so I decided to do a little overhaul before going back. So here we go:

The source of magic in my world is a special type of energy. This energy is called different name by different culture, with the most dominant being Jinn, Mantra, Tao, and Ajis. This energy flows underneath the planet crust and is get out through volcanoes and volcanic rift. Even when its out of the earth, most of it still follow its natural flow pattern, forming a sort of 'ley lines' where there are more magic energy on the air. This energy can crystallize in certain condition.

While other sophonts can access this flow without help, human can't because of the element they represent (Metal). They need the use talisman and circuit to perform magic. The rule of thumb is "Talisman Create, Circuit Manipulate".

Talisman is made by making potion with specific ingredient and infusing it with the energy by either mixing the jinn/tao/mantra/aji crystal during brewing or leaving it out in the open for certain amount of time (which can vary depend on where). Once this is done, the draught can either be used as it is (one-use only) or transferring its effect into an appropriate gemstone to make a talisman by soaking the said stone in the potion for an appropriate amount of time (rule of thumb: the harder the stone/stronger the potion, the longer it take for the talisman to fully form). If the wrong kind of stone is used, a talisman will simply erode with each use until it breaks. A talisman create a certain effect but this has to be focused if one wish to make it significant. The focusing can either be done by the user's mind but most prefers to use a circuit to do so.

A circuit is a pattern or inscription capable of manipulating certain effect depending on the circuit. A general rule of thumb for circuit: the more complex a circuit is, the more thorough and finer its manipulation capability. Most circuit require specific placement or be placed on specific material (i.e.: must be placed at certain location on the human body, must be carved on an alloy of copper and titanium, etc) with the better ones being more particular about its placement.

I've only made it out this much, so I want to get some feedback on it before I go anywhere it with.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Ok...it appears workable thus far.

But -

Is your world high tech or low tech? Are we talking computers and airplanes, or parchment and arrows?

Reason is, 'Circuit' is the sort of term you would expect to find in a technologically advanced society. If you society is high tech, no problem. If not, I'd suggest looking for a substitute word. Perhaps 'pattern'.

Addison

Auror
I want to make sure I got it:

The magic energy is from the earth's crust which is either in the air by volcano eruptions or forms into crystals. To make a talisman the person must make a potion using specific ingredients and following instructions. The potion can be used as is or to soak a gem/stone. The harder the stone the longer it must soak and the stronger it is. The talisman is activated by 'circuits' which sound like runes, magic circles etc. These are carved or drawn on a person or surface.

But other than that it sounds like you know what your magic is like. You know the how, when, why and why nots. Enough so it feels real yet not too much so it's still magic. Perfect!