• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Rooting out the cliches

The Unseemly

Troubadour
I have a wonderful laugh with this tool, posting various bits of my WIP into the thing. Sometimes, the so-called "cliches" can be a bit ridiculous given specific contexts/other such "situational" elements, but then again...

Do as you will people.

If you include a < in your text, it barfs up a "Server Error in '/' Application." Is there a way to contact Mr. Mitchell and tell him about this?

So far, my current short story has two cliches: "go crazy" and "to be honest." I don't think either of them need to be removed. (Really, if you need this tool, you've probably got bigger problems than tired phrasing.)

Motley

Minstrel
Hmm. I plugged in a bit of one of my novels and it gave me "on the ball."

The problem is, the sentence said, "...on the balls of his feet" which has nothing to do with the above idiom.

Not sure how useful this tool actually would be.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
The usefulness will vary widely by individual, I suppose. They're really only good insofar as they point out things you didn't already know. I tend to choose words fairly carefully, so this tool isn't likely to pick up something I didn't already realize was there and haven't already made a decision about.