• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Rule of Cool?

Telemecus

Scribe
I have always loved the Rule of Cool. I easily accept just about anything that has massive amounts of style. My question is, what do you consider to be "cool" in your personal writings?

Lucas

Troubadour
Too much "cool" can lead to narm and clichés, which is un-cool. Look for example at the never-launched series "Korgoth the Barbarian".

What I try to do is to place my characters in a "full" world, where they can react to numerous things, not all which are essential for the plot. What is cool is determined by context. I tend to think that politics is far cooler than violence.

Chilari

Staff
The rule of cool should be used sparingly; only then can it have the full effect. It should not be used for:
> Weapons
> Scars
> Armour
> Haircuts
> Dual-wielding (dual-wielding daggers is one thing; scimitars, muskets, broadswords and so on should not be attemped)
> Witty one liners at corpses

As these are overdone, notably by JRPGs for the physical ones and by Joss Whedon for the witty one liners. However, modes of transport, non-fire magic and architecture are all still open, and obviously some dialogue and actions.

Lucas

Troubadour
The rule of cool should be used sparingly; only then can it have the full effect. It should not be used for:
> Weapons
> Scars
> Armour
> Haircuts
> Dual-wielding (dual-wielding daggers is one thing; scimitars, muskets, broadswords and so on should not be attemped)

As these are overdone, notably by JRPGs for the physical ones and by Joss Whedon for the witty one liners. However, modes of transport, non-fire magic and architecture are all still open, and obviously some dialogue and actions.

You forgot wits. I actually think that Varys and Littlefinger are the coolest characters in A song of ice and fire.

I go the opposite direction--I love to undermine my characters' attempts at dignity. (Words spoken to a damned soul: "You died pretty well, all things considered. You didn't **** your pants until you were already dead.") Still, I do think this helps develop some degree of cool in the long run. There's a certain catharsis factor in seeing seemingly ridiculous characters survive against, and even defeat, threats far larger than themselves.

Corysaurus

Acolyte
I try to avoid suspending the belief of readers as much as possible. What some people call 'the rule of cool' actually comes off as a bit lame to another group of people.

Mindfire

Istar
I think you're selling fire magic short Chilari. Most fire magic in mainstream fantasy is simply unimaginative. This doesn't mean there's no life left in the concept. See firebending from Avatar (that whole universe runs on rule of cool) and Dustfinger's powers from the Ink trilogy.

Subcreator

Minstrel
Personally, I think that cool characters are the ones that stand out for some reason, but it's a personal preference. For instance, I've got a morbidly sarcastic survivalist elf whose goal in life is to kill the death god he used to sere. Personally, I think that he's a really great character, but he may not come off that way to others. I didn't write him that way to try to make him cool, but rather that's more how he turned out. The last point is the most important, in my mind: I didn't write him/it/whatever we're talking about that way to be cool, but rather that's how it turned out.

> Weapons
> Scars
> Armour
> Haircuts

Psh. There's no bad trope, only bad execution.