• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Rushed the ending

SeverinR

Vala
Just finished a book by Mecedes Lackey. I won't tell the title so as not to ruin the ending.

She old a great story, alot about his abusive beginning, a lot his poor family life(poor little rich kid style), a lot of how he found his special ability, how the Companion saved him and went in depth about their bond and how great it was, went into depth on his new friends and how the organization protected him from the people.
Then even went into depth on the trip to war.
But as I was reading I was like, it's about 10-15 pages left, how is she going to end it.

Assasin pops his head out, the bolt hits the companion, she dies, he looses control of his ability and everyone dies, go on to the monument placed in his honor, the end.

The story was great until the war, then it just ended. Any other story of the Heralds, I felt emotion about them being hurt. With this, she was dead in a sentence and he was dead in a paragraph. There was no emotion. With all the character creation and you felt for him and his companion, but it ended so abruptly there was nothing.

I think she rushed the ending. Not sure if she was just tired of writing or she was concerned about to many words. But the ending was a great disappointment. Not because they died, but because it was poorly written. Even more that many other books mention the tragic heroism of this character.

Addison

Auror
I've read the "Hundred Kingdom" series by Lackey. I tried reading the Elemental Masters series but first I got the wrong book of the series, then when I did get it she took too long in the beginning, at least in my opinion. Now that I think about it, it was years ago when I read it so my reading level wasn't quite up to parr. So I'll go back to the series.

Want to talk about bad endings? One of Peter Benchley's novels had a deus ex machina ending. I mean it made logical sense, but it still came out of nowhere. Obviously I'm not talking about "Jaws".

I've read the "Hundred Kingdom" series by Lackey. I tried reading the Elemental Masters series but first I got the wrong book of the series, then when I did get it she took too long in the beginning, at least in my opinion. Now that I think about it, it was years ago when I read it so my reading level wasn't quite up to parr. So I'll go back to the series.

Want to talk about bad endings? One of Peter Benchley's novels had a deus ex machina ending. I mean it made logical sense, but it still came out of nowhere. Obviously I'm not talking about "Jaws".

I have a gigantic rant about an ending I hated, but it's a YA book, that probably no one here has read...