• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sci-Fi protagonist name

If you have a reason to name him Orion, then please explain...perhaps it is pertinent to the story. Otherswise, I think something more original might be suiting; but this opinion is one based on complete ignorance of your plot, setting, and so forth.

Personally, I've always liked the name. But is there a particular reason you want to use that name? I don't read a lot of Sci-Fi, so I can't comment on how cliche it is or isn't. But if it's something that people may give you grief about it could always be like a call sign. Like his real name is Sean Cassidy, but he goes by Banshee - (sorry for the x-men reference).

Orion is a kinda common si-fi name, but hey, it's a name. it shouldn't have any efffect on the story, so long as it's pronouncable and not a direct pop-culture reference, or the kind of this you'd find on an MMO

so i say go for it.

Thank you all for your input. I did not tell you all these details because I have not yet developed them. I am thinking of tying in references to the Orion from Greek mythology. Orion, I believe will be a code name with the antagonist being Scorpion or some form of that name. Other characters from the story may fill certain roles.

There are so many clichés in Sci-Fi and I am attempting to avoid them.

YOu can always just write the story with Orion; if something else hits you, the wonders of Word tech dictate that you can then do a find and replace all to change out the name.

I have changed character names a few times, make it odd enough that search and replace doesn't get false positives, and add made up name to spell check so it gets spelled right, for the search to find every occurance.