• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Seelie/unseelie courts

fiera43

Scribe
Trying to research what races are involved with what parts, not finding much anyone have information or resources on it that I should Look into.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Mostly I think the kiths/races are pretty evenly split between the Courts, with a few exceptions. You're not likely to find Leannan Sidhe, Baobhan Sith or Redcaps among the Seelie court, for example. (Though I have written about a Seelie Leannan Sidhe, the rareness of it was noted.)

Hi,

Why not just make it up? I've never been comfortable with the entire light and dark thing with fae. They are intelligent after all - so the idea that they should just be bound from birth to be human haters and nasties in general strikes me as wrong. They should be able to choose.

In my current work I divided my fae up into two palaces - summer and winter. But the primary difference is hair colour - silver gold and sparkling versus fiery gold. And none of them much like the humans of their time - roughly third century Romans and Celts. But some will help and some will hinder based purely on who they are as people.

Cheers, Greg.

fiera43

Scribe
I am probably going ng to end up doing that. Just trying to figure out what lore was about it and if there were much I needed to keep with.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Also bear in mind, "Seelie" and "Unseelie" don't necessarily mean "good" and "evil", despite the origins of the name. There are perfectly nice Unseelie and cruel Seelie. The Seelie are more bound by tradition than the Unseelie are, whereas the Wild (those without a Court affiliation) pretty much just do their own thing.