• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Self Published Titles

Quillstine

Troubadour
A question for all you seasoned readers/writers.

My friend and I have a very impromptu book club. We use the term loosely as it is just the two of us...and we live in different countries now. Still it works, so no judging!

Currently we are on the hunt for some good self published, less main stream fantasy and or steam punk titles. We are not afraid of YA novels, and by that I mean we relish them!, horror, dark fantasy you basically name it we'll read it. Only restrictions, no zombies!

Suggestions........

C Hollis

Troubadour
Lindsay Buroker is the first name that comes to mind when it comes to Indie Steampunk. Her first book Emperors Edge is a freebie.

buyjupiter

Maester
Shelley Adina's Magnificent Device series is excellent. It's steampunk, with a teenage MC, so it does read a little YA. But other than that I've enjoyed it.

robertbevan

Troubadour
The best indie book I've read is by an author that sometimes frequents this site - Critical Failures by Robert Bevan.

Thanks, BWFoster78! You know there's a sequel out now. :)

If my work is too vulgar for your tastes (it's certainly not for everyone), I'd recommend the Doomsayer Series by Steve Wetherell. Unlike my books, it's comic fantasy that you'd let your kids read. The first book is called The Last Volunteer.

buyjupiter

Maester
I found Jenny Pox by J.L. Bryan for free on Amazon. I'm about a quarter of the way through it and for a free book on Amazon? The writing is amazingly well done, the characters seem pretty fleshed out, and the story is good. There are problems, (i.e. it's a little of a slow start and jumps years quite frequently at the beginning) but considering what else I've been trying? This is a great book. I gather that this is the first book in a trilogy.

It's YA paranormal/supernatural about a teen girl who cannot touch anyone for fear of giving them a form of plague. It turns out there might be other people in the same town with similar issues (one boy can't touch anyone without healing their aches/pains). It deals with loneliness and the pain of being the outcast in high school.

Quillstine

Troubadour
I think to begin with we are going to try Everflame by Dylan Peters. It could be terrible but I figured at some point you just need to pick one and start! I really want to use self published titles for a while....so this seems as good a title to dive into as any.

All in all it's very exciting...For all my years buried deep in a page, lost in bookshelf or behind the registrar at a book shop; this is my first book club. Have to say I am really looking forward to it....even if there is 2 members and we are in different countries!

If you're into goblins, gingerbread cities, eight-stemmed mushrooms and teenage heroines, I've just started a young adult fantasy series that encompasses all of those:

Gluttony
(The Spider Mushroom Quest, Book One)

Dawn Marshallsay

I may be in search of my destiny, but I don’t believe anyone can foresee it.
It’s up to me how I reach it, and who helps me along the way

(Ivy Slaughter)

Ivy’s goblin family has always treated her as a slave because she’s half-human, but now they’re sending her into the world of men to collect the stems of a mushroom that can change her into a full-blooded goblin. The closer Ivy gets to the prize, the closer she gets to losing the one thing she can call her own: her humanity.

Seven stems, seven sins and one deadly prize …

While the eighth stem still holds up the Spider Mushroom like any other mushroom in the forest, the other stems must be earned by helping seven individuals overcome the seven deadly sins. With the help of a human outlaw whom she saves from drowning, Ivy sets off to earn the first stem from a wizard whose gluttony is causing his city to starve.

Let the journey begin …

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Quillstine, not wishing to self-plug, but stumbled across your hunt for self-published YA and wondered if my new fantasy series might appeal:

Gluttony
(The Spider Mushroom Quest, Book One)

Dawn Marshallsay

I may be in search of my destiny, but I don’t believe anyone can foresee it.
It’s up to me how I reach it, and who helps me along the way

(Ivy Slaughter)

Ivy’s goblin family has always treated her as a slave because she’s half-human, but now they’re sending her into the world of men to collect the stems of a mushroom that can change her into a full-blooded goblin. The closer Ivy gets to the prize, the closer she gets to losing the one thing she can call her own: her humanity.

Seven stems, seven sins and one deadly prize …

While the eighth stem still holds up the Spider Mushroom like any other mushroom in the forest, the other stems must be earned by helping seven individuals overcome the seven deadly sins. With the help of a human outlaw whom she saves from drowning, Ivy sets off to earn the first stem from a wizard whose gluttony is causing his city to starve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quillstine

Troubadour
Keep them coming guys....we read a lot so the more suggestions the better! Thank you all for what has been contributed so far.

GeekDavid

Auror
If you don't wanna spend a lot of money, and if you have a Kindle (or device with the Kindle app on it), keep an eye on Kindle Nation Daily.

They have lists of books offered free or at $0.99, and the vast majority of those are self-published titles. It's broken down by genre so you can easily get a list of only fantasy books, or only science fiction, or whatever else you're hankering for.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Marion is a man. Like Marion Morrison, aka John Wayne. And if you mean Omega Night, it fits between the second and third books, I believe.

Noted on the gender.

The novelette is called Wearing the Cape The Beginning. It's Astra's origin story.

Overall, I like the superhero genre, and, though it's hard to tell after a single novelette, I'd put this author as better than the one who wrote Playing for Keeps but not quite as good as Confessions of a D-List Supervillian. I'll definitely be checking out more of his work.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I found Jenny Pox by J.L. Bryan for free on Amazon. I'm about a quarter of the way through it and for a free book on Amazon? The writing is amazingly well done, the characters seem pretty fleshed out, and the story is good. There are problems, (i.e. it's a little of a slow start and jumps years quite frequently at the beginning) but considering what else I've been trying? This is a great book. I gather that this is the first book in a trilogy.

It's YA paranormal/supernatural about a teen girl who cannot touch anyone for fear of giving them a form of plague. It turns out there might be other people in the same town with similar issues (one boy can't touch anyone without healing their aches/pains). It deals with loneliness and the pain of being the outcast in high school.

Buyjupiter,

Thanks for the recommendation.

I finished this novel this weekend, and I'm torn. On one hand, the writing is pretty good as it kept me engaged through the entire book. On the other hand, the story seemed mixed up. Most of it was standard YA supernatural romance with a little darkness/grittiness thrown in. Then the ending went straight, over the top, dark.

I was willing to chalk not liking it all that much it just not being my thing, but, the more I think about it, the more issues I have with the plotting.

Still, definitely worth the time, and, as a free book, can't beat the value. I'm glad I read it because I think it helped keep me from making a mistake with my WIP.