1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Semi-Random Cover Design Thoughts

Discussion in 'Cover Design' started by Demesnedenoir, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

Yes, true. I like the title and I'm a sucker for cats... However, Stephen King is like putting M. Night's name on a movie. I stop right there.

FifthView likes this.
  2. FifthView

FifthView Vala

Also spotted this one today:

[​IMG]
    A part of me liked it in the first moments. I quickly decided it was way too busy. Then I thought, WTH, Chris Colfer writes fantasy?

3. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

Too busy, but I like the impression and feel it leaves, although a YA vibe.

FifthView likes this.
  4. FifthView

FifthView Vala

YA or children's. I didn't spend much time with it.

Interesting that the cover art caught my attention first. Then title. Then author's name...and I was surprised by the author's name, heh.

Edit: I'll add this. On Amazon, I found his other books, and they have the same styling for the covers. So someone familiar with his books might have associated the art and the name at a glance. At least the YA/Children's aspect would have been immediately apparent.

Edit#2: Amazon puts it in Middle Grade.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  5. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Sage

I like this idea. Perhaps it's worth a try.

6. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Sage

I think the Dean Koontz one's quite good. Simple but attractive. The Game of Thrones cover looks completely bland to me, except for one thing. The wolf running towards me catches my interest—so that makes it a good cover.

I like a lot of the old covers. Images that I can't imagine anyone using nowadays. Like this one by Michael Moorcock.

[​IMG]

Demesnedenoir likes this.
  7. pmmg

pmmg Auror

I liked the covers for the belgaraid sage, mostly cause of the use of the map on the front cover to show where it was.

[​IMG]

I also liked the older Elric covers, they had a neat style that made them look like a tapestry with interesting art.

[​IMG]

And anything Frazetta

[​IMG]

Demesnedenoir and FifthView like this.
  8. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

Oh yeah! I forgot the Belgariad covers, loved those back in the day, and they are still very nice.

Funny enough, I just hopped over to Godreads and pummeled with Dean Koontz Quick Silver ads with that cover. LOL.