• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sex, Orcs, Dramedy

Hey fellow writers,

I'm Helen from Berlin. I write scripts and lately have been getting back to my first love, prose and fiction. Then I noticed another lover I've lost along the way: fantasy storytelling.
As a kid, fantasy was my go-to genre. I devoured any books on the subject. But as I got older and especially after entering film school, fantasy slowly slipped away from me. In German film in particular there's not a lot of room for fantasy.

I still fully believe in the magic of magical storytelling though! When I was little I didn't know why I was fascinated with orcs and faires and dreamt up stories of them having families, going on adventures or falling in love. By today, I'm convinced of the psychological power of "fairy tales", things out of the ordinary. They're such a powerful way to portray psychological themes and archaic emotions.
And since psychology is my lover on the side (I write about how writing heals us in my blog!) I thought to myself why not go back to fantasy. Also, it's probably the most fun with writing I've ever had. So yeah.

Good to meet you all!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Helen Bennet-Kröger
Good to have you here.
I've only spent a few days in Berlin but loved every minute. Everyone was very helpful to a lost Englishman looking at a map...
I was lucky enough to see restored print of Nosferatu [hand tinted in some scenes and with a full orchestra playing the music] when I was last there.
A lot of fairy tales from the fables of Aesop, onwards have things to show us today.
I've always thought there was a lot of really good myth and fantasy coming from German roots.
I hope you find this place as supportive and helpful as I do.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Take it from a Dutchman, german film could be far less fantastic. We are the true masters of cinematic dullness.

Welcome to the forum