• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Shapeshifting In Your World

LieutenantWolf34

Troubadour
There are many kinds of beings in many works of fiction that can change their shape the question is how do they shapeshift in your works?

The short answer is, all incarnated beings that aren't elementals, fairies, dragons, living stars, or cats can use the Transformation Glyph to turn into an animal form of some kind. The Eternal One called Joy uses it to make physical forms for souls to incarnate into. [This Glyph can also hypothetically be used to change one's physical appearance, but I haven't decided whether to use that or not.]

My dragons are all born as humans, and awaken their dragon blood at some later point in life.

After doing so, they can easily shift from man to dragon and back again, although they can lose their ability either temporarily or effectively permanently due to grief, rage, or simply burning themselves out. As a result, they can get stuck in one form or another.

When they transform, it always occurs shrouded in flames the same color as the fire they breath, which corresponds to scale color. However, when a dragon deliberately suppresses it, the transformation occurs very slowly… slowly enough to see how human skin acquires burning holes like paper on a candle, and how scales writhe against skin from below.

Dragons even in human shape have hot blood, and their skeleton is black dragonbone as opposed to human bone.

I don't usually use shapeshifting in my stories, but I did once write a short story that included fairies who shapeshift. How isn't explained, they just do, because fairies do that kind of thing.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...no shape shifters as yet, but I do have one that might appear. I kind of picture with ease, similar to Aku in Samurai Jack.

Now that I think on it, there is another that kind of transforms from bestial to more bestial with the enhancement of a potion. Not dissimilar to Bane from Batman, only a little more permanent.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I haven't used shapeshifting in Altearth yet, but there's a place for it. Long ago it occurred to me that the obvious thing would be to have Richard I of England turn into a lion.

Beyond that, though, it occurs to me that less radical shapeshifting could be useful. To be able, for example, to shift into being an orc or troll in order to infiltrate the enemy. Or simply appear as someone else to impersonate them. A retelling of the prince and the pauper could be fun.

How would it work? I think I'd go with convincing illusion rather than try to sort out the biology of actual transformation.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Shape shifting presents a whole host of problems. Originally, I was going to make this the province of Lovecraftian abominations, elven mages, and the most powerful of human archimages - with only limited/partial ability to inflict that transformation on others, and even then retaining the same approximate size, body mass, and limb proportions. Creatures like werewolves, unless directly tied to something like a Lovecraftian abomination or potent elf wizard, seemed off the table.

Then, about a year ago, I read the contemporary urban fantasy series 'Nightshade Forensic Files' by AJ Scudiere.

NightShade Forensic FBI Files: Under Dark Skies (Book 1) - Kindle edition by Scudiere, A.J.. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

One of the protagonists in this series is a werewolf (not really a spoiler, it comes out early on in the first book). What sets it apart is that Scudiere went to substantial effort to make the werewolves in this series biologically credible - or maybe semi-credible. Put bluntly, they are essentially a distinct human species with an unusual skeletal structure that lets them 'fold' from 'odd looking human' to 'strange looking wolf.' There is also at least one other race of shifters (aquatic), along with people who have impressive PSI abilities, and out and out magic (mostly voodoo) associated with certain families. (On the downside, there are long medical digressions and severe plot issues in a couple of the books.)

Overall, 'Nightshade' reminded me of AE Lowan's world.

Anyhow, after reading that series and rethinking my original assumptions, I decided that certain types of shifters do exist, with the originals being blessed/cursed by Lovecraftian abominations. I have been inserting occasional werewolf/shifter references into the books as part of the tedious editing process prior to publication. Collectively, most folks view werewolves and other shifters as one step above myth, very scarce, and mentally unstable. Apart from these references, I don't plan on any shifter characters - at least in the current WIP's on the main world. Shifter characters in future works and other worlds...yes.