• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Shifting POV

My novel is flowing two POV Characters. The two are separated roughly 1/3 of the way through the book. I was going to alternate chapters for each, but I think there is a point where, for timeline's sake, have two chapters in a row for each character. My question is this: If you were reading a novel which alternated chapters for characters in different location, would you find it awkward if eight chapters into the alternating there was suddenly two chapters in a row of the same POV character?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
It wouldn't really bother me and I wouldn't find it awkward necessarily, but I would wonder why the author didn't simply combine the material from the two chapters into one and keep with the alternating POV scheme.

Good point, but I'd like to keep my chapters somewhat the same length, save a few pages here and there. I don't want one chapter to be thirty pages if the others are roughly eight. I'll give it a second look and see if I can adjust anything to combine or possibly give the second POV character, who is traveling at the time, a few road bumps/blocks.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Matthew: that makes sense. Like I said, it wouldn't really bother me. I think I've even come across what you're talking about from time to time, though I can't place a specific example of it.