• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Short Stories vs Novels

Griffin

Minstrel
When it comes to the craft of writing, advice is candy on Halloween. Some are king size chocolate bars. Others are packs of dental floss.

A lot of writers suggest that a beginner should write short stories before taking on a novel. [From the Ray Bradbury thread that's currently going on.] This is sound advice. Yet, this is dental floss to me.

I cannot write short stories. I have tried numerous times. When I get close to the end, the character begs me to continue. They have more of their story to tell. My WIP started as a short story. And before that, it was an assignment to mimic 'A Modest Proposal' by Swift. Now it's a novel in the works.

Perhaps I just lack restraint. Perhaps I give my characters too much control.

What about the rest of you? Anyone else having the same problem?

The Din

Troubadour
Watch out it doesn't become a trilogy... That's what happened to me. Far as short stories go, I think of them more as a tool to get your name out there than anything else. I'm glad I tackled a novel first and got some well needed practice in the many drafts. Otherwise there'd probably be half a dozen crudely written short stories floating around in cyber space sullying my name.

I do plan on trying my hand at the things while (hopefully) publishing, enter a few competitions, build some interest for the coming release.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I think one of the reasons it's generally recommended that new writers writer short stories is because it's easier to finish a short story. And IMHO that's what's most important, to take a story from beginning to end, practicing creating characters, worlds, and plots fresh. That act of starting and ending develops the writerly muscles on all those fronts in a way that isn`t possible if all one is doing is starting but not finishing a novel. Obviously there are other things writing short stores can teach like the value of brevity and how to restrain yourself, but for me starting and finishing is the most important aspect.

So if you can do that with novels, more power to you and keep going.

For my personal experience. I wrote bad short stories for a bit then moved on to a novel. I found a novel is a totally different animal in terms of time, commitment, and total amount of material you have to come up with and wrangle. Short stories you only need one good idea. With novels you need lots more.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Spend years writing and polishing a 500 page novel which no publisher will touch?

Or spend that same amount of time writing fifteen or twenty short stories and novella's?

With the former, it is 'all or nothing' - usually nothing. With the later, odds are you'll sell at least a few stories, and become at least somewhat 'known' in the process.

Griffin

Minstrel
Spend years writing and polishing a 500 page novel which no publisher will touch?

Or spend that same amount of time writing fifteen or twenty short stories and novella's?

Too true. I can understand that concept. However, I'm fairly young so I haven't "spent years" on anything. I have time to spend.

Well, there is nothing wrong with a series of short stories (although some magazines won't take them). Just make them self-contained, and then continue the character in a different story.

Carl

Dreamer
I have always looked at short stories more as a prelude to the actual novel than anything else. If you are writing a novel based on a world you created why not toss out a few short stories to fill in your world better? Create a world and write a few short stories with different MC's. In your short stories build out a section of your world. Once you get a few sections going with some solid characters floating around then you can jump into that novel and hopefully if you did the shorts right people are looking for more from your world when the novel is ready.

JCFarnham

Auror
The short story advice IS sound advice. Unfortunately it was far more applicable back in the day when there were thousands of magazines who took that kind of material. The fact is they're disappearing. So to be honest I don't think it makes a lick of difference what you do.

If your end goal is to get novels publish, I don't think there's any point in writing a load of short stories. Its more than possible that (if you do get known) you'll only get known for the short form, and therefore find it difficult to cross over (it's happened before you say anything to counter). Of course that isn't always the case, but you really shouldn't focus on something that will never be your end goal. Especially just because some big wig told you to do it, just because thats what they did.

Short stories are a completely difficult form and skill set to the novel. If you like and read both, write both. If you hate short stories but think it'll get your name out to write them... well... no that's not guaranteed to happen. Just get on with your real passion.

Writing short stories can't hurt, just don't take the advice of Ray and fellows as law in EVERY situation. Publishing is changing.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I agree that you get on with what you love writing. If all you want to write are novels, and the thought of writing a short story doesn't appeal to you in the least, then write novels. Ray Bradbury's way isn't the only one.

People have given the benefits of short story writing, above, and I think those are true. But contrary to the example of Bradbury, I think there are plenty of published novel writers who never sold short stories first. It seems to me there are also short story writers who never moved into novels. They are different animals.

Carl

Dreamer
I agree completely writers should write what they are comfortable with. As far as it goes most of the short stories I have done are for
my benifit not the readers. I like to have that history with the characters to fall back on. Plus I have some shorts ready to drop once the world gets popular in between novels set in that world.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I appear to be doubly cursed; many of my tales are looking like novella's rather than novels or short stories.

On the other hand, they are set in the same world, and characters from one story do appear in others now and again.

Carl

Dreamer
Sounds like your on your way. Really the biggest problem I always here is: how do I put my ideas onto paper? The answer is simple but very disappointing you have to just write the trash and keep working until it is something you would want to read. Then you try to make it better.

I'm terrible at short stories. I've had a few decent short story ideas, but for the most part, my brain just can't conclude a story in such a short term. I need a longer storyline.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
This is just a question I'm throwing out there: of those of you who say you can't write short stories, have you finished and published a novel? Well, I haven't. And it's due to an inability to finish what I start. However, I'm holding severe restraint and not starting any new novel projects until I finish the one I'm currently on.

How do I get by without pulling my hair out?

I write short stories.

Short stories don't have to be some grand, awesome thing. They can just be a flash of life or whatever. The market for short stories isn't dried up, I don't think. You just have to know where to look.

I am of the belief, that some people write either short stories or novels. But some people write both. I think the tendency for fantasy writers is to want to write novels because of this notion that it is the only way to get your name out there. Write a trilogy and watch the money roll in. Well, maybe it is, but I guarantee winning a Hugo, Stoker, or Nebula for Best Short Story won't hurt your name recognition either. :)

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Short stories don't have to be some grand, awesome thing. They can just be a flash of life or whatever. The market for short stories isn't dried up, I don't think. You just have to know where to look.

To add to this.

I have lots of ideas, probably more that I'll be able to use in a life time, and more come everyday. Some of those ideas can't support a novel, but are perfect for a short story. For me, with short stories I can explore a concept or a situation briefly and leave the reader with a few answers and a few questions they can explore for themselves.

This is just a question I'm throwing out there: of those of you who say you can't write short stories, have you finished and published a novel? Well, I haven't. And it's due to an inability to finish what I start. However, I'm holding severe restraint and not starting any new novel projects until I finish the one I'm currently on.

How do I get by without pulling my hair out?

I write short stories.

I am of the belief, that some people write either short stories or novels. But some people write both. I think the tendency for fantasy writers is to want to write novels because of this notion that it is the only way to get your name out there. Write a trilogy and watch the money roll in. Well, maybe it is, but I guarantee winning a Hugo, Stoker, or Nebula for Best Short Story won't hurt your name recognition either. :)

You make it sound as if we don't write short stories by choice. I mean, I can't speak for the others, but I'd write tons of short stories if I only had the talent for them.

You also make it sound as if finishing a short story is easier. I don't find that this is the case at all. I have exactly the same problems with short stories as I have with novels, except in a smaller scope, and I still have an easier time plotting novel-lenght stories.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Looking at the listings on 'Duotrope', the vast majority of fantasy publishing places seem to prefer short stories. List thins out pretty dramatic like when hunting for one that will take a story of more than 10,000 words; most seem to prefer about half that. To me, that says there must be some sort of good short story market.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
You make it sound as if we don't write short stories by choice. I mean, I can't speak for the others, but I'd write tons of short stories if I only had the talent for them.

You also make it sound as if finishing a short story is easier. I don't find that this is the case at all. I have exactly the same problems with short stories as I have with novels, except in a smaller scope, and I still have an easier time plotting novel-lenght stories.

I make it sound like what is for me. Writing short stories is easier...for me. But this is from trying over and over again. I get the sense that most people that don't write them, just don't want to write them.

TWErvin2

Auror
While there is crossover, writing a short story is not the same as writing a novel. They are different animals, not only in structure but in pacing and complexity, and more.

Writing short stories does take less time and it can help build some skills, such as writing dialouge, characterization, description and the like. But being a solid short story writer doesn't necessarily translate into being a solid novelist (or visa versa).

For me, it's the idea for the story, what it's about, that determines if it's destined for being a short story or a novel-length work.

There are opportunites--markets--that accept short stories out there, but the pro-rate ones seem to have become fewer. Still, there are paying anthologies and ezines, along with some magazines that offer opportunity for one's work to be published, read and enjoyed. It also allows an author to become familiar with the submission process, working with an editor, reading and understanding contracts, possibly getting reviews directed at their story, etc. Some writers also self-publish short story through novella-length works, mostly electronic versions.

The notion of getting short stories published to 'build a resume' isn't as direct as it might have been in the past. Unless the published works are in a pro-rate paying magazine that an edtior recognizes--meaning it is likely in the same genre, the smaller venues won't mean much to them. I've seen some argue that listing publication in non-paying markets can actually be detrimental if mentioned to an agent/editor. I'd consider that a more case by case basis than a sweeping general rule, but personally would say most of the time it certainly won't help.

If a writer's heart is in writing novels, then that is what they should study and work at, even if it takes longer than writing a half dozen or dozen short stories over the same time period. And if a writer prefers short fiction over novels, then focus on them. For me, it's been more the idea that I wanted to focus on and write (the story I wanted to tell).