• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Short Story Anthology Seeks Submissions

aliceae

The Mnemosyne Anthology is looking for original fiction fantasy, science-fiction and horror short stories of up to 6,000 words in length. Our anthology theme is Myths and Foundations, but we see theme as something we hope will inspire you rather than something that should constrain you, and so will be judging submissions on quality rather than adherence to theme.

Full technical guidelines can be found on our submission page, and we hope that any other questions will be answered in our FAQ. If you need any more information, we are happy to here from you via comments, our Twitter, or our e-mail at [email protected]

The deadline for submissions is February 23rd 2014. Happy writing and we hope to hear from you!

Submissions | Mnemosyne Anthology

Q: Do I get paid if you accept my submission?

Unfortunately, probably not. We are a first-time anthology so any money we make will go towards paying our printers. However, we will make sure that you get a free copy of the anthology on all available digital platforms and in print. While we would like to also give free shipping on print copies, this will depend on where the contributor lives. If the anthology unexpectedly makes money on top of paying off the printers we intend to give all contributors a tip.

:banghead:

I'll still submit a story--it would be nice to build up my publication history a bit, assuming it meets your standards. I just don't see this as particularly professional, especially given that it's buried at the tail end of the FAQ.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
:banghead:

I'll still submit a story--it would be nice to build up my publication history a bit, assuming it meets your standards. I just don't see this as particularly professional, especially given that it's buried at the tail end of the FAQ.

You're not doing yourself any favors publishing in markets that don't pay. It only builds up a publication history that no one else is going to care about. If you want to do it just for fun, there is certainly nothing wrong with it, but I don't think that writers in general are getting any benefit at all from the idea of "exposure" in free markets. I had one editor from one of the big fantasy and science fiction publishers tell me that all it shows him is that even the author doesn't think his work is good enough to warrant payment.