• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Shows on writing or writers

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I love documentaries about artists, especially about music and musicians. Film second, other art forms a distant third. But it strikes me I know of few documentaries about writers or about the business of writing. Let's leave Hunter S. Thompson to one side, as I know of more than one on him.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for documentaries, not fictional portrayals. Movies about writing is like ... dancing about architecture, to clip a coin.

Scribble

Archmage
One of my favorite shows of interviews with authors, the Canadian show Prisoners of Gravity. I used to watch this in my teens, amazing list of people interviewed: Neil Gaiman, Larry Niven, Harlan Ellison, Ursula LeGuin, Alan Moore, Clive Barker, etc...

Every episode has a theme: Immortality, Racism, Technology, Utopias, and so on. Brilliant!

Playlist: Prisoners of Gravity: Racism (Part 1 of 3) - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

Scribble

Archmage
Another source I like to go to are author interviews by Big Think:

I couldn't find a Big Think writing playlist in my minute of searching, but here's a Youtube search string that returns a quite a good list of interviews with writers about writing:

big think writing - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Thanks for those references, folks; I intend to look into each of them. I was, however, speaking to something a bit different from author interviews.

I just finished watching a documentary about Bill Watterson. Before that it was one on John Milius. That's more what I'm talking about--a documentary *about* some author. There are dramatizations (e.g., about Tolstoy). There are author interviews. But where are all the documentaries about authors, living or dead? Given there are so many about artists in other media, it strikes me as quite odd there are so few about writers. There's no shortage of analyses of writers in written form.

I dunno; I find it curious. Possibly insignificant, and maybe I'm just missing some trove of films on writers. Meanwhile, I'll settle for author interviews. Thanks again!

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I'll look for the Salinger one, but I suspect that's a dramatization, not a documentary. Maybe we're not very interesting as subjects!

No, the Salinger isn't a dramatization. It's a search for what made him tick, in particular how WWII affected him. It also revealed, as did the huge companion biography, the mss in his fabled vault that await publication. In my opinion, there needs to be exactly one: Seymour at 14 or 15, having his first sexual experience of some kind. Hapworth showed that Seymour was becoming, basically, a boddhisattva, and such a book would be a great way to show the clash between the spiritual and physical. Because as Bananafish showed, he chose the physical and that was the wrong path.