1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Side One, Ep.1 "Holey Ship!"

Discussion in 'Flat Earth' started by Legendary Sidekick, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Muziko

She releases her bubble around Fenella. She winces at the discordant sound coming from Mariya, fearing her ears will shatter like a broken mirror. But she sees that the bubble protecting Fenella protects herself and Mariya as well.

She watches with admiration as Mariya holds the note. What starts out as a sound so horrible Muziko wouldn't expect it from a daughter of The Voice gradually becomes a beautiful contralto, and the muse's voice works its way to the soprano range.

"Oh, how brilliant! You purposely sing that ugly note to prevent yourself from releasing the spell too soon." She giggles. "Wow! You truly are the most amazing spell singer! And you knew it would be safe to do that with me singing the Bubble Song, right?" Muziko covers her mouth. "Oh. You can't answer now. I should not break your concentration." She whispers, "Sorry. I will shut up now." She pats Fenella's crown. "Nothing but blonde hair and silence in this crown!"​ She covers her mouth again.

Ruby and Ireth like this.
  2. Ruby

Ruby Auror

[​IMG]

Fenella: I'm angry and puzzled. Who do these little people think they are, sitting on my shoulder and pulling my hair? I am a royal and noble warrior princess! I am not someone to be trifled with!

And what is this bubble I see surrounding us? This is all very odd? Mariya keeps singing her one strange note. Perhaps she can tell me what she is up to?

3. Legendary Sidekick

[​IMG][​IMG]

[TABLE="width: 640, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Diana ♥♥ (enemy damage reduced)[/TD]
    [TD]Muziko ♥♥[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Fenella ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Mariya ♥♥[/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Pale Jackal ♥♥♥♥[/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Reaver (damage increased)[/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Shan Mai ♥♥ (grappling power increased)[/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Vincent ♥♥ (offense increased)
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[HR][/HR]Diana misses her target, but the pink-haired demon is slashed and smashed by the men whose forms he combined. He jumps back, shouting "Shardouken!" and begins to charge some sort of chi technique. Obsidian-like shards whirl around his cupped hands.

Vincent sends a small flame up the demonic captain's nose. He simply snuffs it out and laughs. "You use your magic for showmanship, and as a result you don't know the true power of your own spell." As katana darts toward Vincent, the captain adds, "A mistake that will lead to your doom!" but the sword whiffs by Vincent.

The demoness smirks and says in a mocking tone, "Nice shootin', Cap–"

But her words are cut off when the enraged princess strikes her face with the singing sword. Fenella is puzzled by Muziko's spell, but she sees that her sword can pass through the bubble without popping it. If her enemy is able to pop the bubble, Fenella has yet to find out, as her enemy is too dazed by the blow to the head to come close to her target. It is unclear whether the demoness was trying to strike Fenella or Shan Mai, or if she meant to pop the bubble by aiming at the very edge of it.

Mariya continues to hold her note, the white aura of her mother's magic contrasting the demonic glow emanating from her smallest ally and biggest fan.

4. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Diana

The demon-Reaver-Jackal backs off, preparing for another attack. I have no intention of letting him finish. I charge forward, shield at the ready.

[​IMG]

Vincent

The demon-captain-me sends the katana whining through the air in my direction, ruffling my hair as it zips harmlessly past my ear. I focus my magic again, aiming to snatch the weapon from his magical grip and send it point-first toward the nearest target, the demon-Diana with Fenella's head.

[​IMG]

5. Legendary Sidekick

[​IMG]

Diana charges the pink-haired demon. As soon as her shield strikes him, black shards whirl into the air and cut into him. He lets out an agonizing scream, but only for a fraction of a second—the time it takes for Diana's sword to shatter the demon.

Fenella, Shan Mai and the pixies notice an unlikely weapon comes to their aid as Vincent sends the katana to strike his wife's semi-look-alike. They also notice something else, as does Vincent. When the sword strikes the demoness' shield, the shield reflects the attack.

The shield can only be used once per turn, and it's used against the first attacker, hit or miss.

In other words, if Fenella or Shan Mai attacks now, there's no worry about the attack being reflected on this turn, since Vincent's attack is keeping the shield busy.

((NOTE: Only PJ can reach the captain on this turn. Movement on the wet incline is 5 squares left, 7 right. Anyone can attack the demoness.))

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    Ireth likes this.
  6. Noma Galway

Noma Galway Archmage

I nod at Muziko as I sing, not wanting to seem like I'm ignoring her, but I really want to complete this spell and take out the crowned demoness.
    [​IMG]
    ((this one isn't going well...is that going to do anything?))

7. Legendary Sidekick

((@Noma, I'll assume Mariya used Lightning Bolt, unless you decide to go for a second charge. Muziko's a fan, so what I post below works regardless of your decision.))

Muziko's eyes light up, making them slightly redder than usual, as she sees Mariya's performance.

"So, it goes… ugly note, pretty note. Hmm…"

[​IMG]

"GRAAAAAUUUUUAAAAAAAWWWWWWHHHAAAAAAAUUUUUUUAAAAAAA—gaaaaakoff! Koff! Koff!"

She stops and purses her lips. "You make it look so easy," she says to Mariya.

8. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

I move as quickly as I can toward the daemoness and attack.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  9. Legendary Sidekick

[​IMG]

[TR]
    [TD]Diana ♥♥♥♥♥ (enemy damage reduced)[/TD]
    [TD]Muziko ♥♥♥♥♥ [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Fenella ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Mariya ♥♥♥♥♥ [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Vincent ♥♥ (offense increased)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[HR][/HR]Nissa van Donk

A small figure rises into view, barely in control of her flight. She is hardly prepared for the battle with demons. Her only armor–or article of clothing, for that matter–is her helmet. Also missing is a quiver, leaving the valkyrie armed with a single arrow.

Muziko shudders at the sight when the valkyrie aims the arrow at her.

"No!" she cries. "I swear I'm true to my word! I've sworn this to The Voice with Her daughter as my witness. And The Maiden, too! I mean to seek Her out, but not like the others!"

The valkyrie draws back the string.

Muziko pleads, "I mean to seek Her blessing!" She looks at the shattered remains of her former ally. "Please! Believe me!"

The valkyrie replies, "I believe you," and releases her arrow.

The arrow explodes in midair, releasing swirls of light that form the shape, color and scent of a rose. When the pinkish pixie dust settles, the valkyrie is nowhere to be seen. All of our heroes, including Muziko, feel stronger somehow.

Holiday Bonus: permanent health increase of +1!
    Happy Valentine's Day!

Reaver, Noma Galway and Ireth like this.
  10. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Shan Mai
    Charges the closest target, swinging his katana,
    [​IMG]

11. Philip Overby

Philip Overby Staff Article Team

Punch whatever is closest to me. Cuz I do like that.

[​IMG]

12. Ruby

Ruby Auror

[​IMG]

Fenella: I attack with my trusty sword! I hope this is enough to finish off the evil demoness!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  13. Legendary Sidekick

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[TR]
    [TD]Diana ♥♥♥♥♥ (enemy damage reduced)[/TD]
    [TD]Muziko ♥♥♥♥♥ [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Fenella ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Mariya ♥♥♥♥♥ [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Vincent ♥♥ (offense increased)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[HR][/HR]

Unable to reach the demonic captain, our heroes all target the demoness–most hitting their mark. Fenella's blade strikes true, and nearly decapitates the demoness. Had her sword cut one inch deeper, the demoness would no longer be a threat. As she is now, she is a grotesque deformation bent only on causing as much havoc as she can before she inevitably falls.

The demon captain casts Sparkler [10] on the demoness' blade. When the demoness strikes Fenella, there is a huge explosion! [16] Reaver and the Pale Jackal are fortunate that Fenella's blow turned the demoness' attention away from them, as her flaming blade struck hard enough to take either of them down.

Vincent can see that the captain copied his Sparkler spell to engulf the sword. Whether the demons did anything to enhance this spell or not, he is unable to determine.

The demoness shouts, "Grabapple glagg griffmuplumb!" Her voice is unusually gruff. Whatever she is trying to say, even Vincent's mind-reading only detects gibberish. Part of her brain is missing, so it's possible that the demoness is no longer capable of coherent thought.

Her balance is impressive. As the rain pours down it what first appears to be a solid sheet, Vincent's side of the deck is suddenly submerged. Vincent needs to grab onto the nearby rail to prevent himself from being washed overboard.

[Agility check required for Vincent!]

The demoness' head teeters on her outstretched spine as she searches for her next victim. The captain is unable to back away from Reaver, PJ and Diana, try as he might…

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
    Ireth likes this.
  14. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Diana

After the valkyrie's brief appearance, I somehow feel stronger. Now that the Jackal-Reaver is out of my way, I attempt to rush the demon captain...

[​IMG]

...but the slippery deck trips me up.

Vincent

The sudden rush of water reaching to my knees sweeps me off my feet, and not in a good way. I make a grab for the ship's rail, praying I won't be washed into the sea. Again.

[​IMG]

The salty sea burns in my wounds. I hold my breath, praying to the Voice to lend me Her aid once again.

15. Legendary Sidekick

((I'm going with Vincent's updated stats, which includes an agility bonus. 8 is just barely enough!))

Vincent's prayers are answered. Though his katana clatters to the deck as a result of his broken concentration, Vincent grabs onto the rail. He may have difficulty reclaiming the katana, but he may attempt to do so or use another spell.

((In other words, Ireth, Vincent still gets to roll for the player turn. I treat saving rolls as being in the GM turn.))

Ireth likes this.
  16. Noma Galway

Noma Galway Archmage

Time to turn my attention to the opposite magic-user.
    [​IMG]
    Again, my voice is cracking. Maybe I've sung too much today? Oh well, I hold the note. Please, more lightning!

17. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

I manage to regain my footing, spitting seawater as I clutch onto the rail. I look up and see the katana lying on the deck near Shan Mai; reaching out with my magic again, I attempt to reclaim it, and aim it at the demon-captain.

[​IMG]

((If the demon-captain is too far away, assume Vincent takes the opportunity to finish off the crowned demoness if his roll is enough.))

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  18. Legendary Sidekick

Once again, Vincent's blade strikes the demoness' shield, and an image of the katana strikes back at the blade.

As the demoness' shield is busy deflecting Vincent's attack, she is more vulnerable the the many heroes surrounding her…

19. Legendary Sidekick

Muziko studies Mariya as she holds the note for her lightning song.

"I think I understand. So, you start by making the most horrible sound that you can, then you make the music become beautiful. Like the way I was once a horrible hellspawn, but then I became beautiful like you, Mariya."

[​IMG]

"UUUUUAAAAAAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa…"

Muziko's eyes light up as she sings what must be the worst note ever. She remembers to hold the note, and gradually, her off-key horror begins to resemble the bubble song.

20. Philip Overby

Philip Overby Staff Article Team

I attempt a grapple on the Captain. If I can hold him still, maybe the others can beat the holy hell out of them.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.