1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Side One, Ep.2 "Double Dog Dare"

Discussion in 'Flat Earth' started by Legendary Sidekick, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Disembarking: Asahi Beach
    After a hard-earned and long-overdue rest, our heroes awaken to daylight and the squawking of seagulls. Captain Goldenrod bids everyone farewell as they disembark, and many of the passengers thank our heroes. Only one passenger died in the attack, and as it happens, no one had anything good to say about the man.

The Captain pays each hero $505 for saving his ship and those on it. "Yeah, even the little ones," he says. He gives Fenella $1010, including Mariya's share, and Sister Annie offers to carry Muziko's share for now. Muziko agrees to this.

Dan V's Dojo
    Champ and Sister Annie walk together along the cobblestone street. You see the golden-boots champ put a hand on the nun's butt. Her response is a slap. Another red-haired woman who could pass for the nun's twin catches up with the fighter and nun. Champ gives Sister Annie an apologetic smile and gropes the other woman. She blushes a bit, then the couple simply holds hands. Muziko is seated on the nun's shoulder. The real nun, that is. They are speaking, though you cannot hear them.

The group enters a small building through a sliding paper door. They are greeted by a man dressed in pink, who seems overly enthusiastic to meet them. They exchange bows, and the door slides shut.

Made of Honor
    Beatrice spies a dress shop. "Who wants to go shopping?" she asks excitedly. It seems the young goddess was given some money, most likely from the nun she was with.

Big Buck's
    A gruff looking man in orange stands impatiently by his weapons shop. Business is slow.

Mr. Pink's Rare Cuisine
    A few townsfolk enter this restaurant, but it seems that most of them are taking their business elsewhere…

Mr. Brown's Steakhouse
    …even though there is a long wait to get in, even those coming to Asahi Beach for the first time can see that this is the best restaurant in town.

These are all the places of business that can be seen from the ship. Aside from these buildings are some waterfront properties, several ships and small buildings at the docks, and there are roads heading north, south and west.

If you're interested in spending $ on skills, weapons, clothing, or a meal, you know where to go. If you're interested in making use of your trade, doing religious stuff, or exploring, you have roads that basically take you to… something.

When you post, please refrain from putting words in the mouths of NPCs, but feel free to ask questions to people in the area. You may speak to "the owner of ___" or a character that I've already described, or you may have a bit of creative freedom and simply describe a person you meet on the street.

In either case, please allow me to respond for the NPC. If you invent a passerby, what he/she/they will know and tell you may be influenced by your description. You'll see people from all walks of life by the docks, so the rich give different info than the poor, for example, and their place in society may affect how they interact with your character. Gender and age will also be factors, as well as how you address the NPC(s).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  2. JRFLynn

JRFLynn Sage

JEISERA

So crowded. This is a little terrifying...kinda tickles my killer instincts...not really. No really.

"I'm tired, drenched, and kinda hungry." I mutter, wringing seawater out of my black braid. Ruffling my wispy hair dry, a little boy stares at me whilst licking an icicle. Must be the clan-band, a thin black strip that crosses my face. Troublesome, lots of beasties find me strange, or maybe it’s the little ball of nerves clinging to my shoulder? Well, I find them strange too...

I feel kind of nervous, honestly, the world seems much bigger than the forest where I grew up. I bare my fangs, though, so they can’t tell I’m scared. Everyone are beasts, all the same…some avoid you, some want to steal your juicy haunch of wildebeest, others still would sooner take a bite out of ya than offer a hand. I’m sooo friking starving, maybe I’ll just take a bite out of ‘em first?

Riff bounces off my shoulder, sputtering clumsily about in a mad whiz.

I catch the faerie before she falls, shaking my head. “Told ya, I’m always right on zees things. Guts and all.”

Riff is my sister…Okay, not really but really. Thinking back is troublesome.

“Made it, didn’t we? Don’t give me that sheepsy look. I know you’re worried…but we’re gonna get ‘em, we will!” I declare, making a fist. “I’ll tear their insides out with my bare hands!”

Darn, now I’m hungry again.

RIFF

“Fine with me, eh…except we haven’t a clue who did it.” I say, dripping wet. I have a feeling Jei’s stomach is talking. She can get pretty ravenous, especially when nervous. Having been thrust into civilization, surrounded by tourists, neither of us have seen this many people in all our lives. “Don’t be hasty with the ripping of innards…besides, it’s killing my appetite.”

Mischievous, I playfully pat my tummy.

“Let’s go to the Steakhouse!” Jei frowns, a bit daunted, but summons a steely resolve.

Like most of Jeisera’s crazy ideas, smuggling on the leaky Floater had definitely been hasty as hasty can be...determined to avenge the clan. In truth, we haven’t any idea who went and ambushed the sanctuary—went and smashed our clan-sisters to wisps and dust. Who could be so evil? The Gardener is still crying, the hum of her sorrow enticing my own. So much so, that I’d rather curl up in a bed of flowers than be on some adventure…

Phew, and what a bother it's been!

It was pretty quiet in the cargo bay, when all of a sudden water gushed in from the bow!—wrecked by a rogue cannon ball! Miscreants, the lot, they riddled us full of holes! Guess the ramshackle wonder made nice target practice…those brutes, they could’ve drowned everyone on board!

Luckily The Black and Blue Oyster came by and saved us not long after, though they weren’t in great shape either. Seems a battle unfolded, doffing Jei into a spitting tirade of curses and laments. Well I’m happy we missed it.

The deck had been ruined, with a gaping hole in the bar's ceiling, and the floorboards were drenched with blood and frog viscera! If I hadn’t stopped her, Jei would’ve went to feasting on frog legs! Really, really, HUGE frog legs…still gives me the quakes, thinking of it.

Well, I suspect most civilized folk don’t eat off the floor. If we’re going to trundle about, it’s high time we act civilized too! Even though we were on route to Roku Roku, anywhere is swell I suppose. It’s not like we have anywhere particular to go. This quest, it’s rather foolhardy. Naïve.

I want to go home and forget this mess.

Steak does sound rather tasty…maybe they have steak AND frog legs?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    Ireth likes this.
  3. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Diana

Sunlight and the prospect of land rejuvenate my spirits after last night's chaos. I sigh as I disembark, hand in hand with Vincent, and look around. So much to see, so much to do... what to look at first?

Beatrice spies a dress shop and asks if anyone would like to join her. I smile, nodding and ruffling her hair. A bit of browsing would be interesting, and maybe I'll find something I like. I can certainly afford it now, and it's always good to have spare clothing in case one's outfit gets splattered with frog blood.

I sign my intentions to Vincent, then take Beatrice's hand and walk with her to the shop.

Vincent

"Have fun," I call to them, though only Beatrice can hear me.

I decide to wait around outside for them rather than wander off entirely on my own. Now would be the perfect time to ply my trade, and maybe earn a few extra coins on the side. I wish I had a hat to gather them in.

I flag Diana down again just before she vanishes into the shop, and borrow her shield for my busking. It's not like she'll need it while shopping, and it's that much less weight she'll have to carry.

I go to Mr. Brown's Steakhouse, which seems to have the biggest crowd, and is well within sight of the dress shop. Leaning on a post near the front doors, I set the shield upside-down in front of me and start to sing. It's a jaunty, upbeat little tune with peculiar lyrics, but it should draw some attention, at least. People like songs they can chuckle along to.

((Note: This is not meant to be an accurate portrayal of Vincent's voice. I hear him with more of an upper-class British accent, and this singer, in the context of the book the song is from, is from a country that parodies Wales.))

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
    JRFLynn and Ruby like this.
  4. JRFLynn

JRFLynn Sage

JEISERA

We see Mr. Browns Steakhouse, unfortunately, there a line stretching around the block. Also, some vagabond was yodeling, warbling a trill that my ears weren't accustomed to. At this rate, standing here, it could take hours…and my guts will shrivel long before then. That, or my head will explode…

A few beasties grumbled about Mr. Pinkie’s, how his “Rare” cuisine comes wriggling on the platter. Just how I like it.

Impatient, I search…hunting for my quarry. Down the beach was a conspicuous restaurant painted a sickening shade. The kind of pink that gouges your eyes. Ha! No one’s there! No pesky waiting. No hassle!

Tossing Riff back on my shoulder, I rip from the line and go marching towards the promise of FOOOOD.

“I’m dying! Let’s go somewhere less crowded!”

RIFF

“Aye! Hold on!” I cry, surprised. Jei and her spontaneous spontaneity! “I want steak!”

Jei is frothing at the mouth, deaf to reason…in the distance, I hear a jovial song that tickles my pixy sensibilities. So happy, I could go frolicking in the flowers! That’s how his singing makes me feel…I want to go listen!

“JEEEEEI!” I squeak, latching onto her ear. “Grrr!”

Before I can bid back her wits, Jei barges up to the doors and struts inside!

((Sorry for posting again so soon, and the deal with the NPCs…Mr. Pinks sound’s interesting, so I changed my mind:eek:))

5. Legendary Sidekick

Vincent
    Captain Goldenrod passes by Vincent on his way to the Mild Boar. He is with another sea captain. He tells the man, "Dead. Every last one of 'em. I was lucky to have some brave men. And women, too. In me younger days, I'd have joined 'em with a smile on me face…"

People in line clap and cheer as Vincent plays. A woman steps up and says, "It's a jolly little ditty, but… do you know anything quieter? I think Brown's would be much more romantic with a violinist."

Jeisera
    The Huntress strides past onlookers. Some men at a table nudge each other as she approaches. One is about to rise, but his friends stop him.

A gruff man behind a bar presents a large mug and a shot glass. "For your little friend," he explains. "You two lasses can decide what I fill 'em with."

A woman in her fifties stands with a quill in her hands. "Don't mind Al, he don't know how to talk to pretty ladies. That's why I married him." If cigarettes could talk, they'd have her voice. "Anyway, you two gotta eat something. Seven maidens for the steak, six for pork, four is for the birds—turkey, chicken, rats with wings. Two maidens for ale or tea. And I suppose your little friend is more of a vegetable eater?"

Diana
    Beatrice beams when Diana ruffles her hair. She signs to Diana,

I knew you would treat me like a regular kid. It is better. You know. More discreet. But even if everyone knows who I am, I like it like this. Ariel is lucky to have you as a mother.

Beatrice suddenly looks embarrassed when she enters the shop. There is a shrine to The Maiden by the counter, and the tailor looks even younger than whatever woman posed for the shrine. She may even be younger than Princess Fenella.

"I love what you've done with this place. There are so many… er… decorations." She giggles when she looks at the shrine. "She's so pretty! I wish I really looked like her."

"Oh yes, my child," says the tailor. "The Maiden is the most beautiful goddess of all."

Beatrice is able to send Diana every spoken word. She remembers to do so as she replies, "Just don't tell Belle that." The tailor seems puzzled by Beatrice's words. "My sister, the pretty one," she explains. "Oh! And I'm Beatrice, and this is Diana. She can't hear, so I will need to use sign language."

Beatrice signs, Belle is The Spirit. Goddess of Beauty. You will meet her soon.

"I am Lara," says the tailor. "And while you and your sister may never be as beautiful as my beloved goddess, perhaps you can aspire to dress as beautifully?"

Beatrice signs the words, then takes Diana by the hand. She giggles when she sees a gown of white and silver. The price range of the dresses is $99 to $10,009. Beatrice sees that nothing in her size is in the thousands, while Diana's cheapest option is $2009.

Lara says, "For six-ninety-nine, I can create a custom gown. Simply tell me the color, pattern if you desire such, hem, sleeves, neck, and if you wish to accessorize with a sash or scarf…" She turns to Beatrice. "Can she tell you all that with her hands?"

6. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

I watch with interest as a huntress joins the crowd in front of the steakhouse, with a pixie on her shoulder. The former seems irritated when she looks in my direction, and she soon moves toward the pink-painted restaurant instead.

Another woman approaches and comments on my choice of song. I smile and bow to her, knowing she means no malice.

"I only play the piano, I'm afraid, but that can be plenty romantic as well. Assuming there is one, of course. Do you have any requests for a particular song I might sing instead? My musical tastes are quite varied. I know a fair number of ballads."

Diana

I purse my lips a little as I browse through the gowns in my size. $2009 is most of Vincent's and my money combined. I don't want to spend what isn't mine.

Beatrice signs to me about her sister, and a faint shiver runs through me. I can't tell if it's dread or excitement. Will we meet all of the gods on our quest?

Lara's words about custom gowns pique my interest, and I sign, knowing Beatrice will translate. Six-ninety-nine is a good deal less than anything else here in my size. Why the difference? I hope I'm not misunderstanding something. Maybe the custom gowns she means are all in the smaller sizes.

7. JRFLynn

JRFLynn Sage

RIFF

The Faerie blinked. Can we really have whatever we want?

“Yes, I would like some crisp, tasty Neverest water…and some cooked mountain squash and mushrooms.” I squeaked, pretty ravenous myself.

I keep eyeing behind us though, at those other customers that were ogling. Jei thinks I’m paranoid but she only says that because I’m always around watching her back! Never got gored by a quacking three-headed tusk-ducker with me around. Nor a raging nicker-boar!

This place is kind of murky, like a ship’s brig but smells twice as worse. I know, cause the Capn’ nearly thought to throw us in irons…we weren’t on the ship’s logs. Who would’ve thought someone would bother taking that along?! Luckily, we got off with a warning, as the Capn’ obviously has more pressing things on his plate. Saved once again, thanks to luck…well, rather BAD luck, but luck nonetheless!

The steak place would’ve been nice and sparkly, pleasant…ugh, Let’s just hurry up and eat.

JEISERA

“MEAT.” I blurt, too fogged to really think straight. Cravings have been teasing relentless since the Capn’ had me swab guts off the Oyster’s deck…what a waste. For the sake of courtesy, maybe I should be more specific? “Frog meat.”

I glance at Riff, who seems a bit incredulous.

“What? I’m hungry!” But before I forget, I turn back to Al. “and Ale.”

8. Legendary Sidekick

Vincent

"Maître d'," the lady says. "This man needs violin lessons."

"Yes, Madame. Yes, he does. And what would Madame ask I do to remedy this?"

"Let him play the piano instead." The woman motions Vincent to come to the head of the line, adding, "If you are waiting for a friend, Maxwell shall let them in."

Maxwell nods, though Vincent can see that Maxwell has no idea how he would know who to let in.

Diana

Beatrice passes Diana's question to Lara, then signs the answer. The expensive gowns have been blessed by The… me. She speaks the truth, as she understands it. They were blessed by nuns and shield maidens who follow me.

Lara speaks some more, and Beatrice signs, The outfits her mother made fifteen years ago are the most expensive. She says that hers lack the quality of her mothers. She thinks she is not be worthy of… me again. That is not it, though. It is because I was in this body her prayers went unheard.

Beatrice says to Lara, "I'll buy a gown for myself. Maybe we can pray over the clothing together."

Diana, I do not remember blessing the gowns, but it is my mortal form that limits me in both ability and memory. I believe Lara possesses her mother's talent, and another quality. She does not need a nun or shield maiden to pray with her. She just needs me to hear her prayer.

Jeisera

The woman studies the fairy. "You want mushrooms, I know a girl you can talk to about that. Look for a hole in the wall in Dan's Dojo." She laughs and says to Jeisera, "I don't know how you turned your little friend into a meat eater, but let me cut you a break since she won't eat much. Buffadillo steak with a side of fried frog legs, and all the mountain ale and mountain water you lasses can drink for a jack and two maidens." (That's $12.)

"Two maidens," says Al. "Jack must be a lucky guy."

"You're lucky to've had the one," says his wife.

9. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

I blink in surprise as the woman beckons me to the front of the line, and pick up Diana's shield to follow her with a nod. No coins in there yet, but there may be in time, if my skills as pianist and singer pay off.

I smile at the well-dressed woman. "Madame is very gracious. It's a shame I never took to learning the flute in my youth; perhaps Madame would have enjoyed that was well. Then again, as they say, it's never too late to learn."

To the confused-looking Maxwell, I say, "My wife is with our niece at the moment. I can't say when they'll be getting here, however. My wife, Diana, is a Shieldmaiden -- or Shieldmatron, I suppose -- in her early thirties, with brown hair, blue eyes and wearing a dark blue dress under her armor. My niece, Beatrice, is a girl of twelve years, blonde and blue-eyed, wearing pale blue. If you speak to my wife, make sure she can see your mouth clearly. She is deaf and reads lips. She may write out her words for you, or Beatrice may translate."

Diana

I nod solemnly as Beatrice translates for Lara, though I can read her lips just fine. I sign back, I would be honored to pray with her to you, whether it is needed or not.

I can't help but wonder what a blessed gown might be like to wear. Would one protect me in battle, like another layer of armor?

10. Legendary Sidekick

Vincent

Maxwell replies,

"A deaf woman marrying a musician?" So how good can he be? he wonders, but then a realization hits him. Wait. I got ears. They heard him. He's actually quite good. "A damn shame she can't hear you sing like that, but a deaf shield maiden. Matron." He points to the shield. "I guess that's the shield." So if I see a shield maiden missing a shield, and I say, 'Hey lady! Where's your shield?' and she don't answer, that must be her. "I'll keep an eye out for them. A lady in armor with a little girl… they should stand out in a crowd."

((Vincent needs to roll the die to see how well received his music is. If the roll is low, Vincent is a mind reader, so he can change his tune quickly enough to avoid getting booed off of the stage. The re-roll cannot be lower than the first roll, however.

You may choose to roll once or twice. Thrice if you're feeling lucky and/or rolled something like [1], [3].))

Diana

Beatrice is holding Lara's hand, and offers a free hand to Diana. Unable to sign, she simply sends Lara's words as images:

O beautiful Maiden
    O perfect Maiden

—Honestly, Diana, this is very embarrassing for me!—

O purest of the pure
    Please hear your humble follower

If I have failed you in any way
    If I do not give enough profits to the needy
    If I am simply not worthy
    Then I beg your forgiveness for asking for what I do not deserve

But my prayer is this
    Bless this gown of white and silver
    Protect this little girl from the evils of the world
    And the evils not of this world

—I'm going to jump in here.—

"Dear Maiden,"

—Oh, I suppose I should pay myself a bunch of compliments now.—

"O, youngest of the gods,
    Hear your humble follower's humble customer,
    If asking this of you does not break some kind of cosmic law,
    Do not bless the gown of just one homely little girl,

Bless the hands of the seamstress,
    Bless her loom,
    Bless her shop,
    Let all of her designs protect her customers from the evils of this world,
    And the evils not of this world,
    And the evils lurking on the other side of this world,

Please, and thank you in advance."

—I just prayed to myself! I cannot believe I did that! But there is something in Lara's heart, and I feel it. I cannot say what it is, but… let us just say that she will no longer doubt she is worthy. Anything you wish to add to the prayer, Diana? You can sign it so Lara knows it comes from you. Your words may influence whatever magic she is channeling through me.

((Diana's prayer may influence the spell, depending how carefully she chooses her words. No die roll for this.))

11. JRFLynn

JRFLynn Sage

JEISERA

BUFFADILLO?!

Jei slams the money down on the table, flying a hearty grin.

“Did it die a clean death?” I asked, drooling at the thought. Nevermind the froggies, this blows them out of the pond! Blessed buffadillo, oh, how I’ve missed you! Riff rolls her eyes. “My sister and I, we come from a clan of meat-scarfing pixies…”

The faerie turned red, am I saying too much? What’s it matter, aye? It’s not like…there’s anyone left.

I grimace, such morbid thoughts. Bleh! All I feel is rage these days.

“This Dojo place, now that sounds interesting.” I go on, musing out loud. “I could use some practice, all that swabbing has blistered my hands.”

RIFF

“Woow, buffadillo is quite the treat.” I say, graciously bowing. Jei really must work on her manners! Though, I wasn’t expecting such a glaring tip. Mushrooms? What sort of mushrooms? Surely not the magical sort? Or is it the other-other sort? Curiosity clobbered me over the head. Hmm, I’ll have to investigate this.

“With much ado, we thank you, we do, we do.” I declare, as the proper fairy way of thanking is somewhat baffling.

12. Legendary Sidekick

Jei and Riff

"Roz," Al says, "we don't get enough customers like this."

"I agree," says his wife. She turns to the Huntress and fairy. "Breakfast for two maidens if you're still here in the morning. It's practically at cost, but if you two enjoy the taste of buffadillo…" Roz scratches her head. "A clean death, you ask? I hear the Huntress who took this thing down… yeah. A clean death. She uses every part of the beast."

"Even his wang?" Al asks.

"Oh, for the love of the virgin goddess. You see what I put up with for thirty-seven years?"

Roz and Al head back to the kitchen. When they return, a hot plate of meat is placed on the counter. It dwarfs Riff, and even her serving of water is more than she can comfortably finish. Jeisera eats well for her small frame, and knows good meat when she smells it. The taste confirms what her nose suspected: this is a fresh kill. Buffadillo don't fall easily, making it likely that there is a Huntress in the area who is at least Jei's equal.

13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

I hide a smile at Maxwell's thoughts, and nod at his words as I follow him inside. "Thank you, monsieur."

The steakhouse is packed with people, a varied and colorful crowd. All of the tables are full, while waiting customers line the walls closest to the door. A sign reading "Please Wait to be Seated" stands at the edge of the entryway between the tables and the door.

Maxwell leads me on a weaving path between the tables; many of the customers look up curiously as we pass. I smile and nod to those who meet my eye, but none speak to me. In the far corner of the room is a raised stage, and on the stage is a large, glossy piano. I smile and flex my fingers a little, careful not to drop Diana's shield, as I step onto the stage.

I set the shield down beside the bench, then sit down and ready my hands over the keys. A romantic ballad... well, that should be easy enough. One springs to mind, the lyrics making me think of myself and Diana. To an extent, at least. I don't feel the need to wander nearly as much as the man who wrote the song.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj__jhmPMgI[/video]

I pay attention to the outward and inward reactions of the customers. Do they like it?

[​IMG]

Nope. Okay, fair enough. I change my tune, hoping this one will be better received.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=41qBffVg154[/video]

[​IMG]

Aaah, much better. I smile and keep at this one, letting my voice flow out to fill the hush left by the listening patrons.

Diana

I smile and bow my head, clasping one of Lara's hands and one of Beatrice's. Beatrice relays Lara's prayer to me, then adds her own words. When that is done, she turns to me. I raise my hands, choosing my words carefully as I sign.

Dear Maiden, ever young, ever pure,
    Read the words upon my hands and heart.
    Bless me, your humble servant, and those in my heart.

Bless the seamstress and the works of her hands and heart,
    That her gowns be as protective as they are beautiful,
    Their fine woven thread like the strongest chainmail.

Bless those who fight at my side:
    Vincent, dear beloved, brave and strong of mind;
    Pale Jackal, strong and fearless in battle;
    Shan Mai and Reaver, swift and sharp of tongue and blade;
    Fenella and Mariya, the mighty princess and her muse;
    Muziko, who shuns the ways of evil and strives for forgiveness.

I hope I haven't left anyone out. That would not be opportune!

Bless my family who are distant:
    Dominic, brother in heart, strong as a mighty bear;
    Ariel, dear as daughter, fearless in the hunt.

Grant me strength to protect my friends and kin,
    Grace to guide them in goodness,
    And wisdom to know when I myself stray.

In the name of the Father, the Mother, and the Maiden, this I pray.

I lower my hands and open my eyes, but do not raise my head right away. Was I overambitious, asking for protection for my family and comrades as well as the seamstress? I did pray for Lara first, though... I hope that helped.

JRFLynn likes this.
  14. Legendary Sidekick

Diana

Lara's eyes widen with fear and delight. There is no flash of light, no sound, no smell or booming voice of her deity. Yet, something is different about Beatrice's gown, as well as her whole shop. Her loom and the tread on its spindle seem to me made of the purest silver and silk, as if it were always this way. The room seems brighter than it did before, as if shadows cannot exist within the walls. The dresses seem much prettier than they had when you first saw them, and Lara's expression suggests that the dress she is wearing makes her feel… safe.

She looks at Diana. "Your words… I believe they have moved The Maiden Herself."

Beatrice says, "I believe you're right, Lara." She pays for her gown. "I'm sure The Maiden is moved by your devotion as well."

I am going to try this on! Before I do, shall I tell Lara to make you a dress?

Vincent

The audience boos Vincent's rendition of a Journey ballad. The Voice strikes every one of those assholes DEAD!

At first, the diners don't seem to care for what Vincent is playing. He understands this to be the case, and changes tune in a way that is seamless to most. The few that notice the change nod approvingly. One elderly man quietly explains to his wife, "He was just making sure the piano is in tune." The wife, who is forty years the man's junior says, "O-o-o-oh," then sits quietly like a good little trophy. Vincent immediately understands this man knows the real reason for changing tunes, and appreciates Vincent's ability to react to the crowd. A true professional.

The woman who brought Vincent in raises a glass in Mr. Brown's direction. Vincent has not been introduced, but he can tell the man is Mr. Brown. Something about the woman suggests that she is either Mrs. Brown, or is in a relationship that the real Mrs. Brown pretends not to know about.

15. JRFLynn

JRFLynn Sage

JEISERA

“We are definitely going back there.” I sigh, stretching the kinks out of my back. Crashing into crates, walls, and getting tossed around by the sea will do that…very exciting stuff.

Buffadillos, you know, they’re tough as rocks. Whoever killed it must be just as tough. Hmm, whether that’s a good thing or not…I hate competition. Back home, I was the best—howbeit, the only—huntress in the wilds of Neverest. Er, that I've met. Never had to test my mettle, ‘cept when offing those duckers and boars. Pretty mean, but not entirely man-eating.

No, I’m not in any particular hurry to cross this “Huntress” lady. Is there even a need to, well, besides to stroke my bloated ego? First thing’s first, though…toughening up. That’s what dojos are for, right?

I look to Riff, who’s little tummy is really what’s bloated—could roll right off my shoulder, round as she is.

RIFF

“Yes, yes, tomorrooow.” I groan, burping.

Are people crazy? Pink’s food is wonderful! There’s should be a gajili-jillion people going there every day! The audacity! It’s so great, there’s no word for the proper amount of doofs that should be bending over backwards and galloping upside-down in there!

Phew…I mildly consider the dojo in front of us. Is this really a good idea after eating so much?

16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Diana

I look up and gasp in awe. There is no doubt our prayers worked. I can tell just from the look on Lara's face, even before I see the much brighter room and more beautiful dresses.

I smile as Lara and Beatrice speak. If only Lara knew!

Beatrice offers to ask that a gown be made for me. I nod, excited to try out a gown blessed by the Maiden Herself. Armor as light as silk would be a wonder to try out. As long as the price is right, of course. I hope the offer of six-ninety-nine still holds for the blessed fabric. It's still about half of what I have, but a small price to pay for divine protection. Besides, if we keep on defeating our enemies as we did those aboard the Frog Prince, I should earn it back in no time!

I look to Lara and pantomime a request for something to draw with. A visual reference would be easiest for her to work with, I think. I'll ponder the specifications of my custom-made dress while Beatrice is changing, to save us both a little time. I wonder if a scarf or a sash would cost extra. I could give it to Vincent. Magic helps him stay out of a melee much of the time, but if our last battle is anything to go by, he might need some extra help. That Song of Sacrifice only works if he has health to give, after all.

((LS, I'll PM you an image of what Diana wants, in the same way I made the reference images for my characters when we were starting. ^^))

Vincent

I smile in relief that my second choice of song is much better received. One older gentleman commends my professionalism in his thoughts, which sparks a faint rush of pride. I smother it with humility. Years of people-watching augmented by magic, that's all.

I look at the man I know to be Mr. Brown, despite never being introduced to him. (Being a mentalist certainly is odd if I think about it too much. Which is why I usually don't.) The woman who brought me in toasts him. Is she his wife or his mistress? I quickly decide it's none of my business. (Being a mentalist certainly is awkward at times.)

All these thoughts rush through my head, and all that leaves me is my voice as I sing on. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get calls for an encore.

17. Legendary Sidekick

Vincent

It becomes clear to Vincent that the crowd loves his music, but they are a quiet crowd. Polite applause and silent wishes and expectations for more are his only calls for encore. Mr. Brown contemplates paying Vincent the usual fee of $400, or letting him play for his meal, if he's interested in bringing a date for a $200-a-plate meal. Ehh, he comes out ahead if he's got kids or wants a bottle of wine for the table, but I'll give him the choice.

Diana

After describing her outfit to Lara, she is charged $699 and told, "I'll have it all ready for you tomorrow morning."

Beatrice giggles at her reflection. She glances at the shrine and signs to Diana, I can never look like that pretty grown-up, she says of the silver woman thought to be the image of The Maiden. This is a very comfortable gown. I think you will like yours.

Jeisera and Riff

On the way to the dojo, Riff notices a tiny, gray woman—a wingless pixie—flitting over to some people at the docks. When she speaks, her voice carries. Jei and Riff can hear her words.

Mariya

Muziko tells Mariya, "I have a job at the dojo. They tell me I need to sell my Song of Sacrifice. Sister Annie is very strict about this. Oh… I wanted to teach you for free. I know one silver coin is next to nothing, but I don't feel right charging you for that sort of thing. The money would just go to the nun anyway. I don't wanna carry coins everywhere. What need do I have of money?

"Anyway, I wanted to tell you there is another pixie who works at the dojo. Her name's Pidge. She has a little place. It's just a hole in the wall, but we can stay the night there if you'd rather not have a big human bed."

To the rest of our heroes, she adds, "Master Dan seems to know all kinds of fighting styles. I don't know if he can teach all of you, but the champ and Sister Annie say he's the second best master on this side of the continent." She shrugs. "I guess they would know."

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  18. Noma Galway

Noma Galway Archmage

I smile at Muziko. "It is very kind of you that you would teach me your song." I consider the second item. If I'm gone and Fenella needs me, it would not be good. But I really would like to be among other pixies, for a change. "If the Princess is okay with it, I would be happy to go."

JRFLynn likes this.
  19. Legendary Sidekick

Mariya

Muziko replies, "Do you think Fenella wants to learn the song, too? I mean, she's no muse, but… if she worships your mom, I'll bet she can sing a spell." Embarrassed, she adds, "Fenella won't mind paying for the song, will she? It's only one silver a person, and I can get you in the pixie room for free. I just… um…" She sighs. "That Sister Annie's real strict about setting a price. I'm afraid to be on her bad side. Even the champ goes out of his way to avoid pissing her off. Again."

20. Noma Galway

Noma Galway Archmage

Mariya smiles. "I understand. I don't know if the Princess wants to or not." I glance up at Fenella.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.