1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Side One, Ep.2 "Double Dog Dare"

Discussion in 'Flat Earth' started by Legendary Sidekick, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Diana

No sooner do I ask Lara for supplies than I remember the parchment and ink in my satchel. Oh, well. Lara's colored inks will be much better for this anyway.

I hand Lara sixty-nine jacks and nine maidens, shake her hand and then sign. It's been a pleasure doing business with you. May your customers now and hence be nothing but fully satisfied.

I leave the shop with Beatrice, heading toward Mr. Brown's Steakhouse. Vincent said he'd be singing there, but I don't see him outside. Maybe he went inside to eat?

I move to the back of the line, holding Beatrice's hand. I hope we won't have to wait long; I'm starting to get hungry.

Remind me to tell the princess about that dress shop when we see her again, I sign to Beatrice. No doubt she'd appreciate having a gown that works like a chainmail suit, too.

Vincent

Mr. Brown contemplates how to pay me for my playing. A free meal certainly sounds good, especially if Diana and Beatrice are included. Three plates for the price of two, with wine as well if we want it, is quite the deal.

I pause for a moment and flag down a passing waitress. "Mademoiselle, a glass of water, s'il vous plait." My throat isn't too dry yet to impede my singing, but there's no point in waiting until it is.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. JRFLynn

JRFLynn Sage

RIFF

I’ve never seen another pixy before, one begotten of a different god. Can’t help but stare cockeyed as she floats by.

Oblivious Jei gives a yawn, not really paying attention. Her mind is on chasing down buffadillo, sticking it full of arrows, or something like that. What am I to do with her?

It’s all very fascinating, the civilized world is so diverse! I will have to meet this Pidge, and ask about the mushrooms. Hu-hu, maybe sleep in a pixy-sized bed!

JEISERA

Buffadillo. Mmmm. Are they common around here?

I shrug, swiveling a finger in my ear at the chittering birds.

“C’mon, let’s go inside.”

Not sure what to expect, but I walk up to the doors anyway.

3. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

Being back on the mainland instantly puts me in a foul mood and things here waste no time reminding me why I left everything for a life on Roku Roku.

Regardless how I feel, the gods have led me here for a reason. I needs must reach Mt. Neverest and my venerated teacher, Master Rubi.

It has been many years since I've roamed the streets of this bustling port city and my desire to leave deepens with each step I take. My eyes scan the crowded street for the familiar salt worn sign of The Leaky Quiver: house of ill-repute, den of iniquity and the property of the only person outside my new companions whom I can count as a friend.

JRFLynn and Ireth like this.
  4. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Muziko and Mariya

Mariya stares at her toes. "If Fenella pays, I will teach her. You, though… I can't. Charge money I mean. I stole your looks. I don't think Sister Annie will yell at me. Besides, I think your mom helped with my rendition of the Bubble song."

Muziko starts running toward the dojo. She waves Mariya on. "C'mon! Let's go where we won't get trampled to death!"

As Muziko scampers down the street, several children point and tug on mothers' skirts. On little girl cries at the sight of her.

((Mariya can follow Muziko and learn 'Bubble Bath Party!' and 'Song of Sacrifice' for free.))

At the Dojo

((This is written as if Jei and Riff have entered, but other players can have their characters enter the dojo if they wish to.))

Master Dan bows as a huntress and her fairy companion stand at the door.

"Welcome," says the man. "I am Master Dan the Fifth. My father was a master samurai, his before him, and so on. My mother was a fighting nun, who… er… traded one set of vows for another. Never mind that. I can teach much about fighting." He sees the Huntress has a quiver full of arrows, then adds. "I can teach nothing about shooting pointy sticks." He bows, and is about to shut the door.

A tiny girl, who looks like she's half ballerina, half mushroom, steps up beside Master Dan V. She bows in the same fashion, and looks at the fairy. "You, I can teach. My name is Pidge, and for a price, I can teach Mushroom Magic. If a Sugarplum like myself can cast this, surely a daughter of The Gardener would be interested. Let me think, now… the mushroom? Or the toadstool?"

She sits cross-legged on the floor. "Everyone, please stand back. I apologize in advance if I accidentally kill anyone."

[​IMG]

A red-spotted mushroom appears and begins to slide away from her. The mushroom is about a foot and a half tall. "Hey! Cut the crap!" She runs up to it and leaps on top of the mushroom. Her clothing bursts to shreds as her body begins to grow, to child-size, then adult-human-size. She seems to be in a daze for a moment.

She kneels down over the fairy. "Be sure to have a spare outfit before attempting this, by the way. And always ask loved ones to stay very far away. Now, I will try to go back to normal, but this magic is not so easy to control."

She sits for a few seconds.

[​IMG]

A slightly smaller green mushroom appears. It falls to the floor and slides away. Pidge steps on it, and the mushroom makes a funny whistling sound. The sugarplum fairy reverts to her normal size.

"Excuse me," she says as she covers herself with her mushroom hat and broken tutu. She escapes into a hole in the wall, and returns wearing a robe.

"One must accept the mushroom's magic. You cannot force another to change size." She looks at the reactions of the crowd. "My mother is goddess of nakedness. But if this kind of magic is embarrassing, my toadstool spell does not destroy outfits."

She points to a sign.

Pidge adds, "You're welcome to come in anyway for tea. If you want to bring a human friend, I can help."

Ireth likes this.
  5. Legendary Sidekick

Mr. Brown's

Diana can see that the audience is pleased with her husband's performance. Beatrice smiles. There is a look of pity on her face. If it's because Diana cannot hear him play, Vincent cannot be certain. Beatrice's mind cannot be read.

She does sign some words to Diana.

I wanted to tell Lara, but such knowledge puts her in grave danger. One man in league with the demons reads minds, and he will surely question a girl with a Maiden shrine in her shop. If she thinks I am just a girl, she is safe even if the enemy knows she saw me.

More likely, she will picture the woman on her shrine. It is a beautiful shrine, though the model looks nothing like me. The artist found her in a brothel. Her name is Charlotte, and she caught my attention praying to me as she posed. I felt sorry for her. That was over three hundred years ago. She is not the first to play the maiden without actually being one, but her prayer was beautiful. I do not understand what made her choose that kind of life.

Beatrice is able to enjoy more music from Vincent. She claps vigorously, but is able to gauge the crowd's reaction. She tones down her applause to mimic the near inaudible clapping of other well-dress young girls. Beatrice is very plain-faced in comparison to the other girls, but her silver-white dress catches attention.

Vincent catches a thought from Beatrice: Wait'll you see what Diana will wear tomorrow. She does not send an image of the dress Lara is making. Apparently, Beatrice wishes Diana's gown to surprise him.
    He sees no image. Only words:

Dear Vincent,

No peeking! You'll thank me later.

~Love, Beatrice

Ireth likes this.
  6. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

I smile as Diana and Beatrice enter, though I can't greet them mid-song. Beatrice's shopping trip was clearly a success; she looks radiant in a white and silver gown. Diana is still wearing the clothes she put on this morning, but Beatrice assures me there is a surprise awaiting me tomorrow. I know better than to try to peek into my wife's mind.

Diana

Beatrice signs to me as we weave through the tables; I read her hands solemnly as she tells of Charlotte. I wonder what the woman had been praying for. Perhaps a release from the lifestyle she led, if it was desperation that drove her to it.

I find a table close to the stage, and watch as Vincent plays and sings. My shield leans on the side of the piano bench; I wonder if he managed to gather any coins in it before coming inside.

I applaud along with the other patrons. Despite not being able to truly experience the music, I can appreciate the deftness of his fingers on the keys. Years of practice have certainly paid off.

7. Noma Galway

Noma Galway Archmage

As Muziko runs away, I'm forced to make a snap decision, without waiting for the Princess to decide. I follow her.

8. JRFLynn

JRFLynn Sage

RIFF

“WOOOOW!” I cry, with sparkles dancing in my beady eyes. I turn to Jei. “I can be big too?! This reminds of a story…Abby…Ally…Eliss in b-blunderland?”

Oh yes, this is just like that story. Magic mushrooms, and sugarplum faeries, and everyone grew tall and nekked. I’m pretty sure this’ll come in handy.

“I’m pretty sure it’ll come in handy.” I squeak, not taking no for an answer. “And I’m not taking no for an answer!!!”

JEISERA

It takes a while for my eyes to pop back in their sockets...what did I just witness?

I’m kinda miffed that people don’t shoot pointy sticks in a dojo. It’s not like running with scissors, more like punting forks with a geyser. My aim is not what it used to be, that’s why I’m here.

Arg, it was worth a try!

“Okay, okay! But how useful can it really be?” Troublesome, almost all our money!

Riff is pretty nonsensical at the moment. It must be all the excitement. Any more and she'll burst!

Before I go over to the pixy’s home in the hole, I glance at Mr. Dan. “Know where I huntress like me could find some work?” As long as it’s not swabbing decks. “I hunt, and eat meat, and wrestle big animals…”

9. Legendary Sidekick

Dojo

Pidge is happy to teach her skill to Riff. She invites Riff inside the pixie room, and explains the magic.

"Most of the time I end up with a mini mushroom. It does nothing to us pixies, but your human friend. I mean, if she wills it, she could come in here for tea. It's blue, and it never grows taller than me and you.

"The red one, I call a super mushroom. It makes us like the big clumsy people. I don't think your wings'll do anything when your big. Don't you flyers have flying spells? Well, if you want to be like the big people, you can have some fun with the mushroom for a while. Ask your friend to lay out some clothing, or people will stare.

"I call the green one the one-up. It makes you your normal size, but you feel a little better if you're hurtin'.

"And there's also a very rare fat gold one. The mega mushroom! Never accept its gift indoors. You'll go through the roof, you'll be so big.

"Oh… and be warned, you can only make one of each mushroom. After a day, or maybe it's a few days? Well, I'm not sure exactly. All I know is that if I try to invite all my human friends in, suddenly I can't make mini mushrooms anymore. Eventually I get the magic back and I can do it again.

"Let me show you what I mean."

[​IMG]

"Oh… er… I really didn't mean to do that!"

A gold mushroom appears. It forces Riff out the little door and grows to be twenty inches tall. Riff finds herself seated on top of it, passing Muziko and Mariya. Muziko waves to the fairy.

Pidge shouts a warning: "Don't accept this mushroom's effect!" She puts a finger on her lip, then adds, "Or at least wait until you're outside!"

((Riff has three choices:

1 - She can will herself to grow now.
    2 - She can wait for the mushroom to slide out the dojo door, then will herself to grow.
    3 - She can get off the mushroom and let it slide away.))

Master Dan starts to tell Jei that she can "head over to Big Buck's," but when he's about to tell her what Buck can offer a Huntress, he sees the fairy riding the gold mushroom. He steps back slowly, and makes sure the sliding door is open.

His mouth barely moves as he stares wide-eyed at Riff, saying, "P-please… slide… this… w-way…" Beads of sweat trickle down Dan's forehead.

JRFLynn and Ireth like this.
  10. JRFLynn

JRFLynn Sage

RIFF

“YAAA?!” I squeakily shriek, who knew mushrooms could move so fast?!

Flabbergasted, my heart and mind bounce in disarray. I’m scared, carried off by fungi! Jei! Help! I don’t want to go! My wings are still wet...and...and...

If I was big like Jei, this blasted shroom wouldn’t be zipping me away!

I feel very strange all of a sudden. The Dojo is getting kinda cramped. Oh noooo?!

JEISERA

“Dashing furgles!” I shout, swerving for the doors. Instincts bite, confounded, as the faerie sprouts up and out at freakish speed! My concern is only thwarted by the sheer absurdity of it all, but I don't think too hard.

Nope, guts tell me she’s being a meddler…or a duff. Either or!

On my way out, I nearly smack into a floating pixy! “OUT! Out of the dojo!”

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  11. Legendary Sidekick

Outside the Dojo

Master Dan and other students run out as Riff's body tears through her clothing, and shortly after, the ceiling. She is twice the height of the now roofless dojo, but that's because she is still seated. Standing up, most onlookers guess she'll stand fifty feet high.

Master Dan V drops to his knees and shakes his fist. He cries, "Faaaaaaaatheeeeeeeeeeer!"

"I am here, son," says a man who is likely Master Dan IV. "We will rebuild this place." After the dust settles, he turns to Pidge and extends his palm. Reluctantly, the sugarplum hops into his hand. He then approaches Jeisera. He bows before he speaks:

"There is a lumberyard to the west. Perhaps your big friend would kindly deliver the lumber. I will pay for it, but you two need to work off your debt. Services to Asahi Beach will do. I see no reason to bring the two of you to finical ruin over this. The first service I will ask of you is that you persuade your friend to remain inside the dojo."

Brown's

A woman in long leather boots wrapped in a gray cloak invites herself to the table where Diana and Beatrice are seated. She is the same woman who invited Vincent to perform. "Emma Bison," she says, extending her hand. Beatrice waits for Diana to accept the handshake before doing the same. "It is fortunate your man sang for the crowd. The people here tire of the same old acts, and these piano tunes bring life to this place."

She is interrupted by a loud noise. A rumble. The man at the next table spills his wine—
    [​IMG]
    —almost.

Vincent notices that the wineglass uprights itself as Emma glances at it.

((@Ireth, you can have Vincent still playing or at the table when you post. In either case, Vincent is aware of Emma's skill.))

12. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

It isn't long after Diana and Beatrice arrive that I join them at their table. Food sounds very good right about now. I settle in next to Diana, smiling at Beatrice. "You look beautiful, Bee." The nickname comes to my lips with surprising ease.

I look up as the woman who invited me in approaches and introduces herself. I smile and shake her hand. "Vincent Hawk, at your service." Quite literally, it seems.

I smile and dip my head humbly at her words. "It's an honor to do so, Madame."

A loud noise makes my head jerk up again. Something big is happening outside, to the concern of the other patrons. One man almost spills his wine, but the glass rights itself at a look from Ms. Bison. Another mentalist! Fascinating!

Diana

Vincent admires Beatrice's new dress, and I sign an explanation. The Maiden's blessing is on that gown, and all the others the seamstress makes. I want to show Princess Fenella the place sometime, I'm sure she'd love it.

A woman approaches and gives her name. I smile and shake Ms. Bison's hand, then write my name out for her in lieu of signing. Her words about Vincent make me smile more, and I squeeze Vincent's hand briefly under the table. But a rumble in the floor makes me look up in confusion, along with many others. What is going on?

13. JRFLynn

JRFLynn Sage

JEISERA

My eyes really do pop out of their sockets, mainly at the word “debt”, let alone “pay off”, and my personal favorite “financial ruin.” Grimacing at this, can’t be helped. Fair enough when your pesky sister inadvertently destroys things. Like buildings and stuff.

“RIFF?!” I cry, balling a fist. “Don’t move! Stay there! I’ll…I’ll help…you.”

When I see Riff’s blocky head wearing the dojo’s roof as a hat, my mind goes blank.

RIFF

“JEIHAAAY! I’M SOOORRRY!” I sniffle, but it comes out as a low and terrifying rumble. My knees scrape and press against the dojo’s walls, the slightest flinch will break the whole place to splinters and scraps! There’s an old man in here somewhere, oh, he’s in the attic...enjoying the view from atop my head.

Hu-huuuu.”

My tears crash like dumbbells, scattering a few onlookers below with salty despair. Hastily, I apologize but my voice sounds all croaky between my unintelligible sobs. I get distracted then by the warm, soothing breeze that smacks me in the face. Gazing out, I see the grand ocean and a swathe of gold freckled with ships in the shallows. Hmm.

The view is rather nice, I can see the beach, and the main street from up high with its curious people…looking at me? ME?! A fierce blush crosses my face. Oh my, I’ve become a spectacle! It dawns on me how big I must be…big enough to petrify the big people!

Guess there’s a first for everything.

14. Legendary Sidekick

The Dojo's Attic

An old man peers down from the window. He may be around half the height of the fairy's head. Maybe more, but not much.

He sees she is naked and crying. He decides to address the crying.

"Don't feel sad, little lady. Yes, you made a mess of my grandson's place, but you didn't mean any harm. Sugarplums are rather playful, and they don't always consider the consequences of their powers. We've been working with Pidge on that. She shares the responsibility, so you'll work with her to make it right, and you're big and strong enough to do the job." He scratches his beard. "I think this rooftop's fixed to your head pretty good. Does it make a nice hat? If it's comfortable, leave it on. I'll guide you to the lumberyard."

At this point, the old man believes the nakedness should be addressed after all.

"You may want to remain seated for a bit. You're no sugarplum, so… I guess you'd rather have more than a hat. Let us wait."

On the Street

An elderly woman with a basket of flowers, floral print dress, and sunflower hat approaches from the south. She is one of an army of curious onlookers, but the bright colors she wears helps her stand out in the crowd. Once she figures out the situation, she steps up to the oldest available master, Dan the Fourth. She sees Pidge in his hand, and decides to speak to the sugarplum instead.

"Honestly, Pidge. You should have trained the poor girl outdoors. Oh, what must her mother think? The Gardener provided petals and leaves so her children wouldn't flit about in the nude. Her was is not that of your mother, and there are certain beaches where that sort of exposure is not such a spectacle.

"Let me talk to her." She adds in a stern but kindly tone, "Now."

Pidge nods, then signals Dan IV to put her on the ground. She casts a spell.

[​IMG]

There is a bright, yellow, flat-topped toadstool with pink spots. It's big enough for a human to step on.

"Dear," says the elderly woman. "If I were fifty years younger, I would try that. Can you find another way to get me up there?"

"Oh," Pidge moans, "this is not my day. Err… nobody step on that! Um… be careful!"

She attempts another spell, but this time there is no toadstool.

[​IMG]

"See? This is what I was trying to show the fairy! How I can never get the same mushroom twice!" She sits on the ground cross-legged. "Gimme half a minute."

Th elderly woman crosses her arms.

15. JRFLynn

JRFLynn Sage

RIFF

“O-Ookay.” I say to the kind old man in the attic. Already, I’m feeling at ease…though, I’m not sure what they want me to do, especially like this…won’t I wreck the dojo even more?

Well, for now moving is the last thing I'm going to do.

JEISERA

I overhear Pidge and the Flower Lady talking, eyeing that dangerous looking shroomy.

After today, I hate mushrooms. Forever.

“Hey, I’m pretty young and reckless. I’ll give it a try.” Declares I. “Sorry, can’t wait! Riff needs me!”

So, with that, I step on the strange and scary mushroom…silently crossing my fingers.

16. Legendary Sidekick

By the Dojo

Jei bounces VERY high in the air, toward Riff.

((@JRFLynn,

Do you know how to roll dice? I need two agility checks from you. Once is Jei trying to grab onto Riff. What she's grabbing onto… um… how about Riff's little finger—which is now almost as long as Jei is tall?

Riff's agility check is try to catch Jei.

You'll need to wait for my post to find out if Jei ends up in Riff's hand or if she crashes onto the dojo floor and injures herself.))

Brown's

"Mr. and Mrs. Hawk," says Emma. "If you'll excuse me."

She doesn't leave the table, so much as she simply rises. She does not stay up for long.

"How odd," she says without really explaining anything. "I guess it's just as well I no longer train my students there."

17. JRFLynn

JRFLynn Sage

JEISERA

I bounce into the air with a surprised cry, aiming for…Riff’s pinky finger? Oh sheesh.

I reach for her, tempting my luck

[​IMG]

RIFF

Gaping, I see Jei flying towards me! Eek! I'm so bad at catching bugs!

[​IMG]

18. Legendary Sidekick

Jeisera reaches out as she flies toward the fairy. Riff's flesh is soft and smooth, which doesn't really help when looking for a place to grab onto. Even her fingers are quite large! Jei reaches for the smallest finger, but she's not headed in the right direction. On the bright side, her bounce is a little low. She might not break more than one limb from the landing…

Riff is not as agile in her larger form, but she can predict her friend's trajectory easily enough.

Jeisera lands in her soft hand.

When Pidge sees this, she decides against any attempt to sprout another toadstool. The elderly woman calls up to Jei, and says, "Nice work, young'un. But I wish you'd've told me you were going to do that. I'd've given you this." She holds up a leaf. It looks ordinary. The woman says, "Well? The fairy seems to trust you. Have her lower you down so you can help me up."

19. JRFLynn

JRFLynn Sage

RIFF

“JEI?! That was dangerous!” I grumble, a bit jumpy. Could’ve gone so bad!

Thank goodness I’m a bug catching expert.

JEISERA

“Yes, no less dangerous than popping through the roof!” I retort with a grin, rubbing my sore behind. That was close! Almost thought I was a roasted toast.

I peer up at Riff, raising a brow. “Aye, someone wants to help! Let’s bring her up!”

20. Legendary Sidekick

The old lady accepts the Huntress' help. She asks Jei to kindly have the fairy bring her closer so there is no need for shouting.

"You poor dear," she says to the fairy. "You may address me as Esmerelda. I have devoted my life to The Gardener and in all my years, I have never actually seen one of Her children. Now don't be upset. You're not the first I've had to help out of a situation like this, and just think… if you hadn't become so big, I may have missed you. I could croak any minute, y'know. But now I can say I've seen a child of The Gardener. 'I thought they'd be shorter,' I'll say from my deathbed. You'll come to my garden later so my grandchildren can see you, won't you?

"Oh! But not like this with your parts on display. I'm going to have to ask you to cover up, I'm afraid. This will help."

She holds up a tiny leaf. A normal sized fairy could wrap it around her body, but in her current state, the leaf could at best decorate a fingernail.

"Just press the leaf against any part of the body," she says. No explanation follows, as if the woman simply expects what she said to be done without question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.