1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Side One, Ep.2 "Double Dog Dare"

Discussion in 'Flat Earth' started by Legendary Sidekick, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

"It's okay, Vincent," Emma says. "I read yours too… I mean, I read a little. When I mentioned being accused of an affair, you thought it was awkward. So I know you didn't pry at that time, or I think I would have read a different thought."

Emma turns to Mrs. Brown. "I learned your husband's skill as well, though I'm not very good at it. I only seem to catch the thoughts about me. They're usually words like 'slut' or 'whore.' The ones who don't know the rumors think 'freak.' Men who saw me at your husband's place wondered what I was like in bed. But these people here did not project such shallow thoughts."

Brown slowly nods, then after a moment, she turns to Vincent. "What is it that you said? Feeding false memories? You would know a false…" Her voice trails off. The widow shuts her eyes.

2. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

I half-smile at Emma's words. "I guessed as much from your assurance that the affair was only a rumor."

I keep my eyes on Mrs. Brown as she closes her own. What is she thinking now? What is she up to?

3. Legendary Sidekick

Mrs. Brown shudders as she looks at Vincent. "Would my own husband truly plant false memories in my head? Is there a way I can have my true memories back? How much of my own life is a lie?"

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  4. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

Pity for the widow wells up in me when she speaks. With it comes a swarm of questions. Am I powerful enough to dredge up true memories from beneath the false ones Mr. Brown planted? Will such an attempt even work, if he simply filled in the blanks without altering what was already there?

I spread my hands in a half-shrug. "If you want me to try finding your true memories, Mrs. Brown, I would be willing." Maybe we can end this without more fighting.

5. Legendary Sidekick

Several of Mrs. Brown's memories flash. Two of them are what Vincent saw before in both her mind and Emma's. There is also a third…

6. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

I maintain eye contact with Mrs. Brown, sifting through her memories. The first two, I have already seen; the third is new. I can tell right away what is off-kilter. Little things, subtle things... the placement of a hand, stains on a napkin. Then bigger things -- a bloody handprint on Mrs. Brown's dress, and a bloody stain on Mr. Brown's fingers. My eyes narrow, my teeth clench. Did he abuse her? Or is the blood from one of the murders Emma spoke of? Mrs. Brown, of course, notices none of this.

7. Legendary Sidekick

What are you seeing?​ Mrs. Brown wonders as she looks into Vincent's eyes…

8. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

I replay the third memory in my head, looking closer at the details. The blood on Mr. Brown's hands is present as he walks through the door, and this time Mrs. Brown notices. But her husband vehemently denies it, and forces her to look away -- both physically and telekinetically. Mrs. Brown's vision blurs with tears of pain and fright.

Mr. Brown's voice grows soothing, but he still holds her against her will. I can pick up only pieces of what he says, but I get the gist of it well enough. He denies the blood, his forcefulness, everything that would make Mrs. Brown think their wedded life is anything but perfect.

The memory plays before my mind's eye again, then a third time. The third time, it is as I saw it in the first place, with all the little changes Mr. Brown made.

Mrs. Brown's own thoughts, here and now, ask what I'm seeing in her memories. I sigh, wondering how to tell her.

After a moment I launch into a description of her memories, keeping my voice low enough to carry only to those nearest me -- except Diana, naturally. I describe the unaltered memory first, then the changes Mr. Brown made. Anger still boils through my blood. What kind of man would do these things to his own wife, all for personal gain?

9. Legendary Sidekick

At Brown's

"Maybe he was trying to protect me," she says to no one in particular. To Emma she says, "But he hid your true nature from me as well. I'm not sure how I can make it up to you."

"Then don't," Emma replies.

Mrs. Brown turns to the remains of her husband's restaurant. "My sorcery will turn this place to rubble. That should be sufficient to bury the dead, including my husband, or whoever he truly was." She turns to the group. "Please, go clean yourselves up. Eat. Rest. I have a lot to think about, but… you helped me. I may not like the truth, but… yes, I remember him telling me not to believe my own eyes. What you described, I see it now. Please leave me to deal with this. And Emma, please see me in the morning at my home. I'm thinking… well… I need to sleep on it."

Emma smiles at Mrs. Brown. "Yes, Clara. I'll give you some time, but I will see you in the morning."

At Dans'

"Father," says Dan IV, "I have not found a professional chef."

"Are you saying…?" Dan III shudders at the thought.

"Yes, father. My son shall be the cook tonight."

[​IMG]

In those eleven seconds of conversation, Dan V has already managed to completely burn a slice of meat.

Dan V shouts, "Noooooooooooooo…!"

10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

I breathe deeply, trying to let go of my anger. It can't be helped now; Mr. Brown is dead, and his wife now knows the truth. What happens now is anyone's guess.

I bid goodnight to the others, and Diana and I head off to find somewhere to clean up before dinner. Or would it be breakfast? What time is it, anyway? I don't even remember anyone making sure we had somewhere to stay. This whole day is a blur of activity, one thing after another. I could probably sleep just about anywhere, but I'd prefer a roof over my head.

11. Legendary Sidekick

((Time… good question. I think it's actually the wee hours of the night. The Maiden's Day ritual went into late evening/night, so maybe we could call it around midnight or so. Still, the Dans figure you're hungry.

I'm finishing up the last part of my final with which I shall torture my students by forcing them to read (horrors!). After that, I'll try to wrap up episode two with Breakfast at Dans'.

If anyone wants to post what they do during the night, feel free. If I hear crickets, I'll fast-forward to breakfast time on Wednesday or Friday. When I update depends on what I need to take care of to prepare my room for summer vacation.))

12. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Diana

After a bit of looking around, Vincent and I find a place called the Leaky Quiver, which seems promising as far as room and board are concerned. As we step inside, I sign to Vincent that he should do the talking.

Vincent

I look around for a landlord or landlady to ask about a room for two adults and one child. No doubt Diana will want to keep Bee close to us. I remember to ask about baths as well.

13. Noma Galway

Noma Galway Archmage

I look at Fenella and say, "So what now?"

14. Legendary Sidekick

Pidge and Muziko look way, way up at Mariya.

Muziko says, "Pidge has a place where pixies can stay, Mariya! It's at the dojo."

Pidge adds, "The Dans made… uh… I guess it's a midnight snack. A bit oniony for this time of night if you ask me, but since they actually cut proper pixie-sized portions, I won't turn down their meal."

Muziko tells Fenella, "There are princess-sized portions, too… though I'm not sure any of what the Dans made is princess-taste."

15. Noma Galway

Noma Galway Archmage

I jump down from Fenella's shoulder. "Actual pixie-sized portions? I'm in!" I smile. "I should probably stay with the princess, though. It's kind of my job to protect her."

16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Diana

While Vincent arranges accommodations, I slip out to retrieve Bee from the dress shop, as well as the satchel I left there during the fighting. If I find any more of our luggage, I will bring that as well.

17. Legendary Sidekick

The Leaky Quiver

Vincent sees that Olga is already cleaned up and back to work. She seems surprised when Vincent and Diana enter.

"I thought you two would stay at a classier place than this. But I'll see to it that you get a clean room, and that you're not disturbed with the typical 'accommodations.' I don't see you two as the 'open marriage' type."

An elderly man with a woman on his lap grumbles something, but a glare from Olga silences him. The woman on his lap could pass for his granddaughter, though the attention she's being given from the older man is far from grandfatherly.

"If this sort of place leaves a sour taste, I might suggest Esmerelda's. She calls her place The Greenhouse... and it is, for the most part, a glass house of plants. But the bedrooms are actually log cabins near the actual greenhouse, and I think your wife would enjoy the scent of freshly picked flowers. The children are quick to decorate a room as soon as they see a guest."

((I suppose being deaf, Diana's sense of smell is stronger than normal.))

Everyone Else

Pidge lets everyone else know that the Dans' are offering a meal at the dojo. She also mentions accommodations...

"My Pixie Palace is new and improved now that the Dans renovated their dojo. There is a spring where pixies can bathe without fear of being tromped upon by humans. Of course, The Greenhouse is meant for humans, but we pixies don't take much space." Looking at Riff, she says, "I won't take offense if you go to Esmerelda's place instead of mine. I'm not planning to charge any of you, but then, I doubt Esmerelda will either, considering all you've done."

18. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

I smile as Olga approaches and speaks. She seems quite resilient, to be up and about working so soon after being kidnapped by apes. I take a moment to ponder her words. The Greenhouse does seem like a more opportune place for the three of us -- though Diana is unlikely to be disturbed by any nightly noises from other rooms, I doubt this is the right place for someone like Bee. An uncomfortable memory of a certain man aboard the Black and Blue Oyster pricks at the back of my mind. The sight of the elderly man and his much younger companion does not exactly help.

I must say, I am grateful for the opening Olga provides to make such a choice without (too much) risk of offense. "Thank you. Diana has just gone to fetch our niece; I'll wait until she gets back before we decide."

((I don't want to godmod Bee into the scene, but to save time I'll say now that Diana will agree with Vincent about going to Esmeralda's instead. Feel free to skip us over there if you wish, LS.))

19. Legendary Sidekick

((You can assume Bee will follow, and yes, she'd prefer The Greenhouse! But I'll have Bee greet Diana, and you can take it from there...))

Lara's

Bee rushes up to Diana. "Oh!" she says, "Your new dress smells of death!"

Lara says, "I'm pretty sure you can wash that out without ruining it. Um... here." She jots down some washing instructions and hands them to Diana.

Bee signs, Did Vincent find a place for us to sleep?

When it's time to go, she waves to Emma's 'flock.' Her smile is genuinely friendly, though when she gets outside, she signs to Diana, It saddens me, the life they have lived. My sister Belle is the goddess of nakedness, but she means our bodies are to be cared for and celebrated, not sold. What those girls did, it is practically slavery. I hope Sister Emma can help them, now that their owner is dead.

Diana did not tell Beatrice of the confrontation by Brown's, but the child-goddess clearly knows.

The Other Side has plenty of this. There are female demons bred for this sort of life.

((Note: I don't think 'succubi' is a word that can be signed, but if Diana wonders what sort of demon, Bee projects a mental image of a woman with bat wings and a pointy tail. She has a figure that fashion dolls would envy, and a lustful look on her face. It is nothing like the victimized expression seen on the prostitutes taking refuge at Lara's. The succubus is a predator. Whether she enjoys or work or is enslaved by other demons, Diana cannot tell. She may need to meet one in person to know for certain.))

Beatrice goes on, It is clear that you care for me and are committed to protecting the world from these demons who want to take it. All my Mother and Father wanted us to do is see that the human side of the world is safe from these demons. Still, I cannot help but notice that there are humans who are worse than demons--the things some people do to each other.

The reverse is true. When I held Muziko in my hand, I saw The Other Side. I saw things that even my parents and siblings do not know of. I do not hate the creatures there. I pity them.

20. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Diana

I gladly take the paper from Lara and tuck it into my satchel. I think a bath would do me good as well.

When Beatrice signs to me, I take in her words solemnly, then sign an answer. I pity the prostitutes too. Some of them aren't much older than Ariel, my stepdaughter. I'm glad they have someone like Emma to care for them.

The image of the demon she projects into my mind makes me shudder. I hope I never see one in the flesh. When Bee lowers her hands, I smile and pull her into a hug before signing again. I don't doubt that many of the creatures there deserve your pity. But it seems to me that some would reject it -- some seem to enjoy hurting innocents. Humans and demons alike can be like that. But those are the sort of people I'm sworn to defend innocents from, whether in life or death. Though I do hope my life lasts for a while longer!

And speaking of life and death, I add after a moment, I've decided to accept your gift of wings. I've thought about it, and I think it's a good option. I won't be sacrificing anything by it, and I'll be gaining a great deal.

When we reach the Leaky Quiver, Vincent meets us at the door. He signs, I don't think this is the right place for us, especially Bee. What say we go to Esmeralda's instead? Olga recommended it.

Over Vincent's shoulder I notice an elderly man and a much younger woman seated together. They could be grandfather and granddaughter, but I get the feeling their relationship is not like that at all. I nod to Vincent, and lead the way to Esmeralda's. I hope she is doing alright after the chaos during the Maiden's Day ceremony. What a horrible thing to happen, and on such a special day, too!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.