1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Side One, Ep.2 "Double Dog Dare"

Discussion in 'Flat Earth' started by Legendary Sidekick, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRFLynn

JRFLynn Sage

JEISERA

I stare back cockeyed, “Eh? What’s a Breel?” Is it edible?

Wew, false alarm. Pink’s buffadillo is the stuff of legend...my stomach churns, not of indigestion, but a bad gut-hunch that jumps at me like a ravenous raging glurgly-bird.

RIFF

Grinning guiltily, I feel a sudden pang of wind. “BUUUURRP!”

Nearly blows a poor carpenter off his ladder. Well, the hammer flies out of my hands as I try to muffle the gale with a weighty hand. My eyes follows the sailing tool, a bit sheepish, fearing it might clobber someone by accident…Huh? What’s that?

I perk, not quite sure…my intuition grimly rattles. Hard to see from here, so I stand up to get a better look.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

[​IMG]

Shan Mai is struck, must be quicker Grasshopper. Not the first time in his education and won't be his last. But he will be watching for it next time.

3. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Dan V says to Shan Mai, "Now you know. I will attack from your left. It is your most vulnerable side unless you master Ukenigashi. That is the Roku-Rokanese word for 'deflection.'

"I will make the same strike again, but slowly this time. You will see the attack, and I will be the stupid opponent. Stupid, because I do not know I face a samurai who has mastered Slow-Motion Ukenigahsi. You, the master, will unsheathe your blade at a 45-degree angle. You will raise your right arm, and your blade will meet my Bokken of the Splitting Headache. My bokken will slide down the flat of your blade, and you will let your blade naturally flow counterclockwise until it is positioned for an overhead strike. You see? The flat side was up when you deflected, but now the edge is in position. Shift into position, and it will be like splitting a melon."

Master Dan IV, says, "Your head is more like a coconut, son."

Dan V replies, "Better to have a hard head if struck by the Master of Slow-Motion Ukenigashi." He readies his bokken. "Now you shall work on Fast-Motion Ukenigashi. Just do not strike my head in fast motion." He eyes Shan Mai's cleaver. "I suspect you halve coconuts with little effort."

4. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Shan Mai;
    "I will seek Buck out, the blade you offer is well worth the price, but there is no honor in being in debt,
    and one must have money to live.

I have halved a few coconuts in cooking and in battle."

5. Legendary Sidekick

((@Severin, you can buy whichever blade you want, but just so there's no confusion, if you have over $1000 according to the heroes thread, you can afford the set. I already deducted the $500 for the training.))

6. Philip Overby

Philip Overby Staff Article Team

I'm in the weapon shop, looking around. "Oh, a boomerang. I always wanted one of those." I point to the boomerang I want. "Give me that boomerang there. No, not the one that explodes. The normal one."

Once I get my boomerang, I'm going to boomerang over to get some food at one of them food places I'd seen a while back. Seemed like the building was pink. Or blue. Or purple, I don't remember.

7. Legendary Sidekick

PJ

"Aww," Buck moans. "Will I never rid myself of the Ka-Boomerang[SUP]TM[/SUP]? Is it the name? I always thought it had a stupid name, but the guy who sold it to me could talk a dog off a leg."

When the Pale Jackal stops in at Pink's, they have the lunch specials up:

$10 - Buffadillo Steak and Ale
    add $2 for Fried Frog Legs

$18 - Longtoothed Crabster
    add $2 for Crabster Pie

$5 - Hot Rat with Mustard
    add $1 for even more Mustard

8. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

The meal is every bit as exquisite as I'd hoped, and I make sure to tell the waitresses that when they stop by to check on us. Certainly worth the price -- or what the price would be if I were obliged to pay it. A tip is definitely forthcoming. Should we come back here for supper? I'm not sure some of the waitresses would appreciate it if I sang my way to a second three-plate meal on the house, tip or no tip. Others' opinions aside, I'm a bard, not a beggar. Maybe I can try my luck at Pink's -- they might appreciate some of the less-romantic songs in my repertoire. 'Gathering Rhubarb' is plenty of fun, but as Ms. Bison said, not really fit for such a fine establishment as this.

I wonder where the other members of our band of heroes have got to. I do hope Princess Fenella decides to stop by here, or at least that we meet up again soon. Diana is excited to tell her about the dress shop, and I have a question or two to ask of her as well.

9. Ruby

Ruby Auror

Princess Fenella: I notice Vincent and Diana sitting at a table. I walk over to greet them. Truth to tell, I'm starving and could do with a slap-up meal.

"Hello," I say. "D'you mind if I join you?"

JRFLynn likes this.
  10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

I look up and grin. "Princess Fenella! I was hoping you'd join us. Please do sit down!" My questions can wait until she gets settled.

Diana

I smile and wave a hello as Fenella approaches, then write out a note to her. I thought you might like to know that the dress shop Made of Honor has the most beautiful outfits I've ever seen, and I think you'd quite like them. Custom gowns are quite affordable, too -- only $699 including accessories. Even better, they have the Maiden's blessing. I'm not sure what all that entails, but it can only be a good thing.

11. Ruby

Ruby Auror

Fenella: I sit down."it's so nice to see a friendly face, well two friendly faces; especially after all the troubles we've had recently. I thought living at home and having to fight dragons was bad enough! But this..."

I stop as I catch a glimpse of the menu.

"Ooh!" I start to salivate. " What do you recommend? Can I buy you both a drink?"

12. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

"Thank you, but we've got that covered." I gesture to the bottle of merlot in the middle of the table. "I heartily recommend the filet. That's what we're all having."

I pause, remembering our other companion. "Do forgive me. I believe introductions are in order. Princess, this is Emma Bison. Ms. Bison, Princess Fenella."

Ruby likes this.
  13. Ruby

Ruby Auror

Fenella: Vincent kindly catches the attention of the waitress.
    "I'll have what they're having," I say. I order some more wine and cakes.
    The waitress goes off to get my order.

"We need to put some of this food in our pockets. Who knows when we'll get to eat again." I read a note that Diana has given me about clothes. "Great! We must go shopping together, Diana. There hasn't been enough of that recently around here, has there?"

Diana smiles. Then suddenly, Vincent introduces me to Emma Bison.

"Hello, nice to meet you," I say.

The food arrives and I start to tuck in. I'm so hungry I hardly know what to eat first!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  14. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

((Ruby, please refrain from posting other characters' actions that the players haven't already specified. Also, it was Vincent who introduced her to Emma.))

Diana

I smile and nod as I read Fenella's lips, and write out another note. I've already done a bit of that today -- that's how I know about Made of Honor and its prices. I went with Beatrice just before joining Vincent here. I glance at Beatrice, her new dress shining in the candlelight. I wonder how much her dress cost.

15. Ruby

Ruby Auror

((sorry Ireth, I just noticed it was Vincent and changed it! I'm not very experienced at this!))

Fenella: I just read the note and smile. I am too busy eating to say much right now!

16. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

It takes a while, but I'm finally able to wind my way through the throngs of sailors, dockworkers and travelers to my destination. The familiar marquis bearing a buxom woman lying on her side with a come-hither look on her etched face makes me grin. I open the large oak door and my senses are overwhelmed with the smells of acrid pipe smoke, stale mead, overcooked stew and cheap perfume.

A cacophony of shouting, laughing and lively music fill my head as I enter the over-warm establishment and head for the bar. I push my way through and see a one-eyed, female half-giant bartender pouring drinks, barking drink orders at two gnomish assistants and exchanging money with customers.

Her one good eye meets mine. "Ah..Reaver. How ya' bin? Long time no see. Aisha's in 'er office."

I walk around the bar and behind it, making my way toward a set of swinging doors. I smile at the bartender. "Thank you Olga. Good to see you."

She nods and smiles then goes back to her work. I go through the doors and through a large kitchen swarming with brownies, gnomes and flitting pixies. They are simultaneously cooking, baking, extinguishing small fires, filling plates and bowls with all manner of food and delivering it to waiting patrons.

Once I make it to a small unmarked door at the far end of the kitchen, I knock lightly.

"Enter." A lilting voice says from the other side.

I comply and shut the door behind me. The office is small but well decorated. My friend Aisha beams at me from behind a large cherrywood desk. She is waifish, dark-skinned and lovely. Her sparkling amber eyes never fail to take my breath away.

"Reaver!" she seems to sing as she teleports from her chair and into my arms. Her embrace is the kind you get when you haven't seen someone in over a decade. "So good to see you again! It's been far too long."

"Indeed it has," I agree. "Aisha, I'm sorry."

"No need to apologize," she says, looking up at me with those stunning eyes. Then she smiles knowingly. "Old man."

I laugh out loud and hug her tightly.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  17. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

((@Ruby: Don't forget to roll a d20 to find out what the food does!))

Vincent

Once her food arrives, Fenella seems much more interested in that than anything else. Not that I blame her -- it is delicious, and she looked quite hungry. I wait for a pause before leaning toward her.

"I've been meaning to ask you a favor, Princess. Diana tells me that Amazons such as yourself have abilities tied to music -- 'Battle Song', I believe the name is. Truth be told, I've always been rather envious of it. I can sing, and I worship the Voice, but that skill doesn't seem to be something that is taught to men. I would be most honored if I could learn it from you."

18. Legendary Sidekick

Jeisera

Addison answers Jei. "A breel's a fifty-foot-long man-eater. I put me carving through one's skull, and if I never see another, it'll be too soon. Damned beast ate one o' me hunting party. A knight, the lad was. Just starting out, but one bite ended'im."

Esmerelda pours some tea for the Huntresses. "Well, I've never seen a breel around these parts."

"They're from hell, they are." Addison sips her tea. "Must be. A beast like that ain't natural. What good's a beast you can't eat?"

Vincent, Diana, Fenella

Beatrice orders a cake for herself. Hers is on the house. Fenella's meal is not, but the waitress brings a slice of cake to all at no charge.

Emma listens to the talk. Indeed Vincent can learn from Fenella, as both share a musical gift and follow The Voice. But Emma has a gift as well. "Mr. Hawk," she says when she can get a word in. "A battle song sounds interesting, yet… the only weapon I saw you with is your bride's shield. If you mean to fight with no weapon at all, I wonder if you would be interested in a method that combines mind, body, and spirit…"

She crosses her legs in a businesslike fashion, and upturns her palm. A small flame ignites, cages behind three fingers.

"…for a fee, of course."

She swiftly waves her hand in a counterclockwise motion. Three sixes are burned into the air. Vincent immediately understands this to be her price for the lesson: $666.

Reaver

Reaver sees a man who looks a lot like Pale Jackal, but not nearly as pale. His hair is dark and greasy, and the man seems more interested in his drink than anything else.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Vincent

I pause with a forkful of cake halfway to my mouth, my eyes on Ms. Bison as she speaks. Lowering the fork to my plate, I reply, "I typically fight with magic rather than weapons; it has proven most useful of late. That isn't to say I won't borrow a weapon if I need one, however."

I look to the three sizzling numbers in the air, my eyebrows lifting. "Interesting indeed. What method would that be?"

20. Legendary Sidekick

Vincent

Emma replies, "I fight like a nun, and incorporate telekinesis and pyro-kinesis into my attacks."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.