1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Side Trek

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Aug 1, 2014.

  1. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,073
    3,445
    413
    ((Map for Side Trek.

    Dramatis Personae:

    Bressel
    Roderick
    Branwen
    Burnbright
    Dalla
    Dastardly Creatures))

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,073
    3,445
    413
    After the rather loud noise, followed by the darting shapes leaping across the icy ground and weaving through trees, Bressel has positioned himself between the enemy and his charges. Dalla and Burnbright each take one of Branwen's hands and pull the small harpy between them. Burnbright holds her spear in her free hand, her face determined. Dalla wields her knife, but looks decidedly pale.

    As for the creatures rapidly approaching, they're somewhere between three and four feet in height (it's hard to tell, they're moving so fast), and their scales appear to vary between dark blue and dark green against the white backdrop of ice on the ground. About half of them carry daggers, and the rest oddly enough have lengths of rope stretched in their small, clawed hands. There is some hissing between them - no doubt their language. No one is clear on what they're saying, but their destination is clear enough. They've appeared seemingly out of no where and are quickly closing ground with the party.
     
  3. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    505
    113
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  4. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,073
    3,445
    413
    [​IMG]
     
  5. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,073
    3,445
    413
    Bressel's terrible axe cleaves the first of the hapless lizards from collar bone to groin, and its corpse is dashed to the snow in a splattering of gore. If this display gives the dead creature's comrades any pause, they don't show it.

    The first creature takes up a position near its fallen comrade and lashes at Bressel with its dagger:

    [1d20+1] = 17+1 = 18 Dagger Attack

    The creature scores a hit, dragging the tip of the blade along Bressel's forearm to dig a bloody furrow. Despite the bleeding, the wound is not serious, however:

    [1d4] = 2 Dagger Damage

    ((2 HP Damage to Bressel))

    The other creature closing on Bressel has no dagger, and instead launches itself bodily at the giant man, holding its length of rope out ahead of its body as it tries to grapple:

    The lizard may as well have attempted to grapple a tree for all the benefit it receives from the maneuver. The lizard bounces off of Bressel, barely keeping its feet. That's when Burnbright thrusts her spear at the thing:

    [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5 Spear Attack

    The attack is a clumsy one, the spear thrust jabbing past the creature, which takes note of Burnbright with A hiss.

    Another creature rounds a tree some twenty feet from Bressel and closes. Yet another leaps up onto a rock next to Burnbright, not attacking but surveying the party members before, it's eyes fixing past Roderick to Dalla and Branwen, beyond.

    Two others remains out of range, but close on the party, one heading around a rock toward Roderick - this is one of the dagger wielders. A rope-wielder reaches Roderick and, in imitation of his comrade, leaps at the man.

    [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8 Grapple Check

    This creature fares no better than the other, being flung into nearby branches as Roderick shrugs free of its grasping arms. The creature remains on its feet, however.

    Branwen is within the cover of a tree, and also just behind Dalla, who stands over the little harpy with a dagger in hand. Her weapon hand trembles, and she watches the proceedings wide-eyed.

    A faint voice reaches the group on the wind - a voice that sounds a lot like a certain valkyrie who respond to the name Nissa.

    Nissa has indeed crested the hill and can see the events unfolding before her. She eyes the distance and immediately concludes that flying at top speed will bring her to the fight, though there won't be enough time to do anything before the lizards get another chance to get their licks in.

    ((Nissa can move to within range with her next action; she'll be able to attack the following round)).
     
  6. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,883
    413
    Nissa

    I ready my oil bottle and consider the reach of the blast. If Burnbright and the men can keep the enemies in their current positions, I might blast one and singe others.

    As I close in, I see Dalla is lacking confidence. Her first battle. But despite her fear, there is nothing wrong with her actions. Maybe some words of encouragement will relieve her of her fear…
    [​IMG]
    "Stay strong, Dalla! We'll make short work of the beasts!"


    ((Current target = 2 sq. north of Rod, assuming a 9 sq. blast. I realize enemies move, but Nissa's plan is to burn as many as she can, and also use the fire-bombing as a shock-and-awe tactic. She'll stay high enough to avoid getting swatted, and once the bottle drops, she'll toss her torch in the snow and draw the scimitar.))
     
  7. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    505
    113
    Bressel again swings his sword down on the lizard, with a huge battle cry,(intimidation) striking the one near Burnbright.
    2 hand sword to hit[1d20+4] = 18+4 = 22 damage[2d6+3] = 7+3 = 10
    The sword sinks deep into the lizard. (Bressel more cooncerned with protecting Burnbright then himself, I believe he just killed the roper over a dagger weilder.) After his attack, Bressel gives a hearty laugh and picks up his battle song again. (no fear from Bressel, get Branwen singing and add to the fear of the lizards, and the confidence of the group. Even if he isn't a bard, his confidence will help.)

    [Lizards attacked, so I countered but probably will need for Roderick to attack before the next turn. if Roderick needs to attack before I do my second then just delay the action as needed.]
     
  8. PlotHolio

    PlotHolio Sage

    381
    28
    28
    ((Okay, I think it's my turn. If not, disregard this post.))

    Roderick

    I scowl at the Lizard who just tried to grab me and decide to show him why messing with me is a bad idea.

    Roderick (PlotHolio): 1D20+1+1 => 3

    ...Maybe I'll show him on my next swing.
     
  9. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,073
    3,445
    413
    ((New Map))

    [​IMG]
     
  10. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,073
    3,445
    413
    As the lizards close in, Bressel turns to the one standing before Burnbright. He cuts deeply into the creature, driving its small body into the snow in a spattering of gore.

    The dagger-wielding lizard in front of Bressel take an opportunity to lash out, blade in his clawed hand, while a second lizard, having discarded his rope after witnessing the futility of trying to grapple with the large man, simply dashes forward and lashes out with a clawed hand:

    [1d20+1] = 9+1 = 10 Dagger Attack Bressel

    [1d20+1] = 15+1 = 16 Claw Attack Bressel

    The filthy claws of the creature score a hit on Bressel:

    [1d2] = 2 Claw damage

    The damage is minimal, but nevertheless stings. ((2 HP damage to Bressel))

    Burnbright looks at the fallen creature, then spins toward the lizard on the rock - only to find that the creature has leapt from the rock and is crunching across the snow toward Dalla. Before Burnbright can give chase, a second lizard leaps onto the rock then spring bodily onto Burnbright:

    [1d20+1] = 13+1 = 14 Grapple Burnbright

    The creature manages to get a hold of Burnbright, who drops her spear into the snow to grasp at the lizard. Its hold is tenuous, and as it tries to get a more firm grasp and Burnbright tries to pry it loose, the two tumble to the ground, Burnbright on top. The breath is forced out of the lizard with a high-pitched squeak as Burnbright lands on him.

    Roderick attacks a lizard, but it dances aside, then crouches to spring again. The dagger-wielding lizard set on Roderick pushes past the rocky outcropping and slashes at Roderick with its dagger:

    [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19 Dagger Attack Roderick

    The creature scores a hit:

    [1d4] = 3 Dagger Damage

    The wound is not life threatening, but it draws blood nevertheless ((3 HP damage to Roderick))

    The second lizard by Roderick springs at him, attempting to grab onto the man once more:

    [1d20+1] = 19+1 = 20 Grapple Roderick

    The creature grabs on to Roderick, but is too weak to do anything to the large man. His hold is tenuous, and he clings to Roderick with wide eyes and an open mouth, making it hard to tell whether he was simply surprised by the outcome or is in a panic at actually having hold of the man.

    Meanwhile, the lizard that leapt from the rock toward Dalla closes on the woman. Dalla grits her teeth and lunges at the lizard just as it leaps through the air toward her.

    [1d20] = 5 Dalla Attack

    The attack is useless, not even slowing the lizard in its progress as it crashes into Dalla and attempt to bear her to the ground:

    [1d20+1] = 20+1 = 21 Grapple Dalla

    Dalla tumbles into the snow, somehow still holding her dagger but ending up on her stomach, with the creature perched atop her back. The creature scrambles to get a good hold and opens its mouth wide.

    Branwen, who began by watching impassively, perhaps in confusion or perhaps according to some alien viewpoint known only to harpies and their like, suddenly takes notice as Dalla goes down. Young though she may be, she is scarcely removed from the wild. Her sharp teeth bared, she leaps onto the creature that is on top of Dalla, attempting to bite it:

    [1d20] = 5 Branwen Attack

    Unfortunately, the harpy is unable to get a good bite on the creature, though the lizard does look around wildly as Branwen crashes into him then slides into the snow.
     
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  11. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,073
    3,445
    413
    ((NOTE: Nissa is now more or less directly over the site of the battle and able to act)).
     
  12. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,883
    413
    Nissa

    Fire and oil are my weapons of choice, but I was too late to make optimal use of them. Still, I'm no use at all fumbling with everything. Best to drop them.

    I drop the bottle and the torch behind Bressel's opponents.

    ((Target = 1 square above lizard on right, so Bressel's outside the 9 sq. area but no enemy takes a direct hit. I'll understand if their high DEX means no hits, but I thought it made sense for Nissa to attempt to free Bressel of opponents so he can help the children, and she had the fire and bottle in hand so she had to drop them anyway.))

    I remain in midair, ready to draw the scimitar.

    ((Baldy handed the sword to her when they were together. Nissa can't land with the sword still on her belt, as its blade is longer than her legs. Nissa also just dropped her torch into the flame since she needs two hands to control a short sword.))

    I shout to get the lizards' attention: "Pick on someone your own size!"
     
  13. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    505
    113
    Bressel
    Seeing Burnbright is on top, hearing Della in trouble, Bressel has two on him.
    Bressel strikes (the lizard directly in front) and moves back towards Della. (What ever distance he can move while making the strike and still defending.)
    2 hand sword to hit[1d20+4] = 16+4 = 20 damage[2d6+3] = 4+3 = 7 As the blade cuts deep, Bressel looks to the other lizard and screams at him, grins evilly and rips the blade out of the lizard. (intimidation?)
    "Scratch me and I cut you in two!" (2 scratches-4damage, 17 left)

    Bressel needs to get to Della but if he does it wrong Burnbright will get two on her. Roderick will have two on him next round.
    Is Branwen singing?

    "Nissa, Help Della!"
     
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  14. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,883
    413
    Nissa

    As the bottle drops, I hear Bressel's words to me. I look toward Dalla and Branwen struggling with my next target. No one else can come in time. I pray we're enough to protect the children…
     
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  15. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,073
    3,445
    413
    ((To clarify: the lizard that was up on the rock looking out toward Dalla and Branwen is the one that is currently sitting on Dalla's back :) )).
     
  16. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,073
    3,445
    413
    [​IMG]
     
  17. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,073
    3,445
    413
    ((All of my character avatars are on my other computer. Assume Nissa is directly above the epicenter of the flames. I'll add her in next map)).

    The battle on the snow and ice is pitched as Nissa flies overhead. Positioning herself above and just to the other side of the small lizards from Bressel, Nissa lights an oil flask and lets it fall. The bottle crashes to the snow behind the lizards, and strikes a hard patch of ice, or perhaps a rock, and shatters on impact. Flaming oil splashes outward, splattering the two lizards, who are intent on fighting Bressel and consequently make no attempt to dodge.

    The lizard to Bressel's right shrieks and yips in pain, throwing itself to the icy ground and writhing on its back in an attempt to put out the flaming oil. From its back, the creature sees Nissa above, and its eyes go wide even as it howls in agony.

    The other lizard opens its mouth to do the same, but before it can make a sound Bressel's two-handers catches the hapless creature full in the ribs, crushing bones and tearing organs as it drives through to the lizard's spine. The creature crumples in a spray of blood, laying motionless. Bressel is away even as the creature falls, making his way toward Dalla and Branwen.

    Nissa turns her attention to the same area as the flames continue below her.

    Burnbright, atop her lizard, makes a fist and swings at the creature. Perhaps because of her recent training with Masama, she rolls her shoulder into the punch, aiming squarely at the creature's jaw:

    [1d20] = 15 Swings at lizard

    [1d2] = 2 Damage to lizard

    The small lizard's jaw snaps shut with a crack as Burnbright's fist connects, and the creature lets out a whine of pain. The lizard twists and squirms and attempts to use its strength to get out from under Burnbright:

    [1d20+1] = 19+1 = 20 Break free of Burnbright

    Burnbright tries to hold onto the twisting lizard, but it breaks free with a snarl, tossing Burnbright onto her backside. The creature climbs to its feet just as Burnbright does the same, both with arms up in a pugilist's stance, the two opponents practically toe-to-toe.

    Roderick seems at a loss with the small lizard clinging desparately to his back. He twists and turns, trying to get at the thing, but it's no use. From its fortuitous position as it clings to Roderick, the lizard takes a bit with needle-like teeth:

    [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21 Bite Roderick

    [1d3] = 3 Bite damage to Roderick

    The creature bites an exposed area of skin along Roderick's neck and shoulder. It's mouth comes away red and wet. The other foe near Roderick shuffles its feet, judging the moment to strike, then lunges with its dagger:

    [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8 Dagger slash at Roderick

    It's no use. Roderick and the lizard on top of him make a moving target and the lizard's dagger finds only empty air.

    Dalla, meanwhile, cries out with the lizard on her back. She struggles beneath the creature, attempting to break free:

    .[1d20] = 3 Attempt to break grapple

    The lizard is small, but its ropy muscles are firm and it uses its knees to clamp down on Dalla's back. The woman cannot get up. This lizard, too, opens its mouth and bites at the back of Dalla's exposed neck:

    [1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15 Bite at Dalla

    [1d3] = 1 Bite damage to Dalla

    The creature manages more hair than skin, but some of its sharp teeth nevertheless slide across Dalla's skin, drawing blood. Dalla shrikes anew and yells "Get this gods-damned thing off me!"

    Meanwhile, Branwen, who slid into the snow but is still right next to the squirming Dalla and the lizard riding her, begins one of her animal-charming melodies. Her voice is steady, though soft. If the little harpy knows any fear, she does not show it, making her distinctly different from most human children her age. Bressel can hear the soft song as he approaches, but it is so quietly that Nissa can only barely make it out.

    The lizard on Dalla, however, is having it sung directly into its ear:
    [1d20] = 7 Reacts to Branwen's singing

    The lizard suddenly slackens its hold on Dalla, turning its head to the side to regard the harpy child. This is clearly not the strong effect witnessed from full-grown harpies, but the song appears to have distracted the lizard, and for a moment it seems to forget what it is doing.
     
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  18. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,883
    413
    I fly to Dalla's aid as fast as I can…

    [​IMG]
    ((I forgot to add base-to-hit and the scimitar's +1 bonus, so 19… or keep it 17 if charge is illegal given Nissa's movement is 12 squares. She was 8 squares away but high in the air--maybe 20 feet up or so. I'm not sure if the z-axis adds a few squares and actually necessitates the charge.))

    "Hey, music-lover!"

    [​IMG]

    …I stab the lizard, hoping to drop him before he harms another hair on Dalla's head.

    I call out to Bressel, "I've got this—help Burnbright!"
     
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  19. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    505
    113
    Bressel:
    Smiles as he hears the sweet song and the lizard's reaction, then Nissa's strike.
    He spins holding the sword in his left hand he punches the lizard on Roderick's back.
    [1d20+1] = 3+1 = 4(non-normal weapon attack-level) +3 str not added, so 7. But I doubt it hits. (Maybe it will distract it enough though)
    He continues on towards Burnbright's lizard.
    I should end up next to both Roderick's lizard and Burnbrights for next attack.
     
  20. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,073
    3,445
    413
    [​IMG]
     
Loading...

Share This Page