1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Six-Star System Found: TYC 7037-89-1

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Malik, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Malik

Malik Auror

Eduardo Letavia and Insolent Lad like this.
  2. Ban

Ban Sir Laserface Article Team

Well that is coïncidental. Earlier today I was reading about the system in Firefly and how their five-star system is actually possible (had no clue).

Good job universe, you out-scifi scifi.

Malik likes this.
  3. Eduardo Letavia

Eduardo Letavia Troubadour

It would be something to imagine all those three binary systems with planets inhabitated by early space-faring races, a bit more advanced than us I mean, and all of them with a knack for not liking their stellar neighbours (fight for resources? fear of the "other"? supremacism?). Space war strategy could be a very elaborated thing playing with orbital mechanics in such a complicated system.

4. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

cool...but not the place you'd find an earth-like world.

There are other systems with five or more stars. Most, alas, appear to be far too young to have developed planetary systems.

Years ago, I did identify a couple of four-star systems with suitable ages and separations between the stars to have a fair shot at hosting an earth-like world or three. My notes:

This one I tacked in some planets. The astronomical info on the stars and their orbital period is accurate, or it was at the time:

Eduardo Letavia and Malik like this.
  5. Prince of Spires

Prince of Spires Inkling

I had seen it as well. Just very awesome. It goes to show that in a universe with more galaxies than there are grains of sand on earth, pretty much anything you can think of will happen somewhere, as long as it is physically possible.

I do think it's very unlikely that there will be any life in that system. The tidal forces and temperature differences alone would be very harsh on a lifeform. Then, there's very varied levels of radiation.