• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Slavic themed apocalypse... doable?

Scurron

Acolyte
So, hi there!

I am looking for your opinion on a setting I am building for my story. Basically, since I'm Slavic and know some stuff about our myths, I wanted to incorporate my already existing knowledge of that into my love for dystopia and create this weird mix of... I don't know how to describe it, to be honest? Godly/magic apocalypse?

All of the Slavic nations survived this event called the Dawn (Zora) somehow, with greater or smaller loses here and there (mostly greater) and the civilized regions are just fragments of what they used to be (still better than the rest of the world ha). They all form what's called the Panslavic council and fight for their lands against the many strange creatures that started appearing. In the story, their survival is explained by the people as a blessing (opinions on which god in particular bestowed it upon them vary). The gift of magic also came back with the Dawn, giving people exceptional abilities - mostly to commune with the spirits of the world, purge and heal rather than shooting fireballs. The west is practically devoid of magic, while the east regards it as an art, making the mages quite a snobbish class, save for the few groups of deviant sorcerers who roam the wilderness and cast plagues upon people. In the southern countries, having a good dependent mage is a matter of survival, making mages more frequent there (they are also more likely to be female)

What the people have to deal with is, well, both sentient and bestial creatures of (yet) undefined origin. Where Romania once used to stand on a map, there's now a bold, screaming "VAMPIRI", a reminder that you should not go there unless you like your blood sucked out violently from your body. The Rusalka dwell under the surfaces of lakes and rivers, and the demonic Drekavci/Revuns/Kiks wander the forests in deadly packs, with the giant Leshy roaming through cities while turning them into jungles. People largely agree that this must be the work of a powerful deity, but before pointing a finger at the nearest idol of Veles of Chernobog and thus forever cursing their village, they'd rather take a gun in their hands and kill a few demons themselves. The only thing that even no gun can take down are the mists; the breath of the awakening gods somehow let loose on humankind. They change the land and deform most mammalian life, and when breathed in they can... change people too.

Nagash

Sage
I've loved the works of Vaclav Hanka since i first read them - this slavic fantasy project seems awesome. I especially love the idea of reverting to a world of might, magic and fantasy... Go for it lad' !

Scurron

Acolyte
Thanks for the feedback!
The might and magic is the feeling I'm going for... at least in the wilderness regions that have little to no population left. In the bigger cities, advanced technology exists, but the level of it varies from country to country.

For example, two of my characters start out in Russia's eastern outskirts, and while the level of safety isn't as big there as in the capital of Moscow, the country's wilderness is regarded as a somewhat safe one and has a functioning railway systems. So far they've got street lamps, radio and sewers in every important city, as well as power plants. Another example of a country that I've developed so far is the Czech Republic. The country has been reduced to the safe areas around Brno (the fall of Prague is one of the key events in the story so far) and the Czechs were forced to dig out an underground city in order to shield themselves from the mists. (they had a hundred years after the Dawn, and had little to no options left) Poland and Ukraine (the first one has gotten it's safe territory eaten away like cake dough) shield their points of interest with electric fences and teams of people equipped with flamethrowers and other demolition devices.

Mind you, this is mostly going to be background information and not that forced upon the story, as my characters are part of a scientific expedition into the old lands with the hope of gathering more information about what happened to the world and they go away from the civilized territory pretty quickly.